OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2016 10:40 pm  #21

Re: The Purpose of Sex

Sex is very important, but it's not all that marriage is about. Yes, as Patty said, sex is about intimacy and I think intimacy is based on transparency and truth. Sex is designed to draw spouses together, not to mislead nor to masquerade. As mentioned above, my GIDX also made me out to be a harridan, something I know I'm not, something he has to pretend I am. I didn't have what the X wanted in my anatomy. That's what really angered him and frustrated him despite his need to hide behind my XX. My straight man calls me a "good woman", and I love my straight and the difference!

August 5, 2016 11:24 pm  #22

Patti:

Great question, what do I think I need to hear from the horse's mouth.

I'm not trying to understand my ex so much at this point, I think I actually "get it" for the most part now. That it really wasn't about me at all, it was really what was going on inside her own head, and what she was projecting onto me - her own self-loathing, her distrust of her senses and emotions, and being afraid of the very thing that she desperately wanted at the same time. I understand that intellectually at least, even if I can't imagine what it's like to live that way.

"Going over to the enemy" was a poor choice of words on my part, I didn't mean to imply that I think of anyone as the enemy in my situation. What I wanted to test was really about myself, to get feedback from someone as to how do I come across to an LGBT person? I can say I'm not homophobic until the cows come home, and sincerely mean it, and believe it's true, but am I best person to assess myself on that? That's what I wanted to explore a little bit. Maybe I come across that way without realizing it, maybe not, maybe there are things I say or do that I'm not aware of. I've never thought about myself as homophobic, if anything, homo-uninformed, or homo-agnostic. It was more about testing myself, seeing myself in the mirror, as it were, and not about trying to understand her at this point. Maybe what I'm trying to answer doesn't require a therapist, or maybe I've already answered it. I'm also thinking about an incident with my brother and his daughter when he asked me not to attend his daughter's birthday party until I got my act together - that was not long after the divorce.

Last edited by BryonM (August 5, 2016 11:26 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

August 13, 2016 3:43 pm  #23

Less than a week ago, I confronted my husband about being gay. He admitted it. I had a bizarre feeling of relief. But as all of the lies were uncovered, it hurt so much. Over a year of sexual experimentation, and encounters with many people. Including saunas, threesomes, going into the woods, in our family car. And what finally brought it to light was that he fell in love with another man. Over 13 years of marriage, sex was rare, but rejection was daily. I suffer from major body image issues, and am currently struggling with depression. I have been for several years. I rage when I'm depressed, and I hate myself for it. Yesterday before he left for his lovers house, he told me that I was the reason he was leaving, because I emotionally abuse him. I just melted. Even though he trapped me in a 13 year marriage, under completely false pretences, it's MY fault?! If anyone is pointing fingers, it should be me! I will never know, but perhaps years of being in the closet with my husband is what gave me the depression in the first place. He was and is my best friend. He is the father of my two boys. I just don't understand.

Board footera