OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2017 12:34 pm  #11

Re: How to measure happy?

Very true in many ways, Phoenix.  I do know that I'm much more appreciative of all the little ways my husband treats me wonderfully, because I just didn't have that level of attention and consideration before.  Yesterday I set up my home office as a "Wrapping Zone" - complete with stations for paper, boxes, tissue, labels, bows and ribbons.  I stocked it with scissors, pens, tape, etc.  I showed my dh pics of it during the day, complete with a sign on the door that you flip for "stay out - elves working" type of thing.  Everyone in the house can use it (and will).  I told him that I think all we needed was a bit more tape to get us through the season, and maybe some more name tags.  I fully intended to go get those things this week.  They came home with him last night after he stopped at a Walgreens on the way home from work.  Who does that???  Who takes a little something and turns it into an opportunity to do an act of service for me?  To ease a burden I never complained about having?  When I saw the stuff this morning after he'd gone to work and sent him a thank you text, he said that it's really cold out, and he knows how badly I hate the cold, and he didn't want me to have to run out in that weather when he was already out and didn't mind.  This stuff is not necessary in a marriage - it's the gravy. But I appreciate it SO much more since it's something I was used to living without before.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 12, 2017 6:57 pm  #12

Kel does your husband have a brother??  I’ll take a third cousin!

December 12, 2017 9:42 pm  #13

Lol!  No, he's an only child of a single mother who died years ago.  I don't even have to deal with a mother-in-law.  How blessed am I?

Last week on Friday night, he told me "We're going to your parents tomorrow to decorate the outside of the house for the holidays."  Ummmm, okay?  He asked me to pick a time.  I didn't understand - how can we go do this without getting the time from my parents, ya know?  They only live a few miles away, but still.  When the time came, both of my kids were working unexpectedly (at their jobs).  So it was just the two of us.  He pulls a big container out of the basement.  He loads our new stepladder and our new extendable ladder into the back of my SUV.  We drive over there.  He pulls it all out.  He has ALL the lights he's planned on using - all older strings of ours that we're not currently using, but that he's already tested that work.  He knows the length of their house.  He's sure it'll work.  He brought extension cords, hooks, even remotes for the lights.  It was freaking 24 degrees outside, snowing, and windy.  A nightmare.  But we dressed for it, and we were out there for about an hour.  That house wasn't going to get lit otherwise.  And he is a Christmas freak and just couldn't let that happen.  He'd offered his help to my parents in front of me numerous times.  They had thanked him and then never asked for the help.  Too proud, I guess.

Their house looks amazing.  My parents call us their little elves.  My mother thanked us both as we left - after we went in for hot tea and cookies.  She hugged and kissed me goodbye.  Then my short, white momma reached up high to my big black husband to kiss him on the cheek as she said, "And YOU - I KNOW this was your doing!"  Yep - it sure was.  I'll give him credit every time.

Trust me - if I could cloan him, I would.  I wish we would could all be as happy as he makes me.  And him the whole time acting like it's ME that's the catch.  Hah.  Fool.  Lol.

Kel

December 12, 2017 11:20 pm  #14

Kel,  how blessed you are.   It gives us hope that we will one day meet someone normal, straight, and authentically loving.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 12, 2017 11:54 pm  #15

I love hearing about happy marriages!  Something to aspire to.

December 13, 2017 10:21 am  #16

That's always my intention when I tell you guys something good about him - to encourage and foster hope.  I realize that it's not kind to brag too much to people who are experiencing trials in the same area I'm bragging in.  That's just unkind.  But I want to encourage you all that it's entirely possible to have this sort of amazing happiness again - even if you never did truly have it before (I know I hadn't).  My father and brothers are all really good men - so I knew what that looked like.  That was never the problem.  I just wasn't finding a ton of that around anymore - not in men who also desired me.  So I started to lose faith that I could find him.  I figured by the age of 40 (when I was finally free again), all the good ones would be wrapped up and taken.  As they should be.  What I didn't count on was that there would be plenty of men in situations like mine - alone for one reason or another even though they are fantastic people.  Some due to being widowed, some due to being wonderful people who stayed in broken marriages for far too long.  Some who had acted poorly in their past, but who had learned valuable lessons on how to not repeat those mistakes.  All good people who just wanted what I did - to find someone they really liked to spend their time with and get to know.  To have fun, companionship and an understanding person with personality and drive.  Even if their only drive was to support their kids and pay the bills in order to keep a roof over their family's heads.  There were plenty of users and abusers out there, too.  But make no mistake - there are plenty of good people out there who would love a chance at love with a decent person like you.  One who's been around the block and has some fortitude and resilience.  They.are.out.there.

I thought that I wouldn't fit the bill for most people looking for that in another.  Because I made the mistake of thinking that they wanted what the average 21 year-old man had wanted when I was last in the dating world - a female who is in great physical shape and very good looking.  Arm candy.  Someone polished and poised that they could bring around friends and family to impress them and make him look good.  Well, I was wrong - what they were looking for in a woman was someone they were attracted to (but didn't necessarily have to be traditionally good looking) - who was clean, intelligent, and could make decent conversation and brought some unique skills to the table.  By "unique", I mean things that men in our generation value - like the ability to cook, clean, hold a conversation, have some common interests (which may be as broad as "outdoors", or "tolerates me watching football on Sundays").  I don't do ANY of these things particularly well - but I do them all fairly well.  I take care of my kids, I hold a job, I'm honest and not there to take advantage of anyone or create drama.  Someone that can show love in their actions and physically.  Someone who can be committed and faithful.  That's.IT.  I swear.

I aimed high - I didn't want any drug use, no past habitual cheating, and wasn't open to moving away from where I lived near my extended family.  I wanted someone who had at least one child, so he understood that level of commitment and wouldn't be threatened when I sometimes just had to choose what the child needed over other things.  Someone who had a similar lifestyle as me - who worked the same type of hours and was available when I was.  Someone who wasn't scared of taking the relationship all the way if that's how it worked out.  I wanted all the mandatory things, too - kind, hard-working, resilient.  I got all of those things and then everything I ever wanted on top of it.  And then stuff on top of that I didn't even know existed - like someone who was a great gift giver, someone who likes shopping (because I hate is SO much), someone who will handle all the bills, a person who is constantly looking out to make sure I'm not spreading myself too thin, or letting others take advantage of me.  I'm a very strong woman, and it's been difficult to find a man who would let me be me, and still stand up to me occasionally when need be - but not so often that I felt bullied.  I thought that would be the hardest one.  Nope!  Completely covered.

The trick is understanding how wonderful you yourself are, and getting that if YOU are available and open, then there MUST be others out there just like you.  And it's SO true.  Just be you, and go find someone who likes you JUST that way - who wouldn't change a thing about you if they could.  And you need to feel the same way about them - you need to really like who they are and respect them.  It sounds hard, but it's not.  It's there for the taking.  All around you.  Every day.

Kel

Board footera