OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2017 11:10 pm  #61

Re: Is this forum supportive to those who wish to stay in their marriage?

Jamie,
I’m sorry it has come to this for you.  But I am glad to hear that you are putting yourself first.  If he cannot keep his promises he doesn’t deserve you.

Hugs

December 1, 2017 12:55 pm  #62

Jamie,

I'm so proud of you!  You've arrived at a place of understanding that it's not really about how to label their sexuality, but really how to label their behavior.  And that it doesn't matter what he says if he never does it.  His patterns have revealed that his words mean nothing.  That's a huge place to arrive at - the place where you're no longer stuck examining the endless question of his sexuality, but instead, seeing how his behavior affects you, and deciding whether or not you are willing to continue tolerating it.

I know what you mean about stopping doing little things for him when they are habit.  I looked at it as no longer "investing" into the relationship.  I had decided the relationship was over, and I therefore wanted to send NO unclear signals that I was investing my time, energy or thoughts into him.  One of the first ways I did that was to stop buying things for our home together, or specifically for him.  I also had to stop accepting gifts from him, which was his way of love bombing me.  It was pretty difficult when he bought me an iPhone!  After that, I simply saw every gift as a way for him to not save money toward his own place, which just held him up from leaving.  I wanted NOTHING more than him leaving.  So I told him at some point that I didn't want any more gifts from him, and I wouldn't accept them anyway.  He should keep his money for him - because he needed to leave already.

Best of luck to you in your new revelation.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 2, 2017 6:13 am  #63

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or put my foot in it. But as one of the very few trying to stay in a MM and make it work as well as possible, I’d like to remind you all that this thread is meant to be for us, for people like me. There are other threads for those who are being cheated on, lied to, who are painfully coming to the conclusion that their marriage or partnership is over, was always a sham. I am not being cheated on; I fully trust my wife, and we’re planning to stay together, as we’ve been together for nearly 40 years.
I feel that anger and pain of others, and I wish those who decide to split all the very best in their journey towards new and hopefully better relationships.

December 2, 2017 6:36 am  #64

Brassy, I understand your need for a safe place but Jamie was also in your position and making use of this thread as support for staying in her marriage. It seems reasonable that she continue to post here.

My impression was this was a discussion thread on whether we were being unsupportive, rather than a dedicated thread for MM individuals, I believe a dedicated area is being planned.

December 2, 2017 8:42 am  #65

Sam and I are working on plans for a specific forum section for those maintaining their marriage.  We want to develop a safe and supportive place for discussions for only those people staying.   Stay tuned for the update. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 2, 2017 12:25 pm  #66

OMG, OCJamie, me too! I'm in the exact same position and came to the exact same conclusion just a week ago. Trying to figure out if we can be civil to allow time to the next step but he is not able to do so. He MUST be the narcissist that he is. He can't help it. I'm F'ing done. I will post in my thread what happened. Congratulations to you for caring for you first and to me for doing the same. I will celebrate when I'm out of this mess & in my own place. 

December 2, 2017 3:07 pm  #67

phoenix wrote:

Sam and I are working on plans for a specific forum section for those maintaining their marriage

Great news.
That will be more accessible for me. I tried to join a MOM-group but didn't get accepted

KIA KAHA                       

December 2, 2017 3:17 pm  #68

I can imagine that if such a forum had been here when I first came here, I would have gone there first, because I, like many of us when we first find the SSN, was in the mind-frame of "I"m feeling devastated but please tell me we can make this work."   And I might then not have encountered the perspectives from others that ended up being incredibly valuable to me.  Even the challenges and push back that I encountered were valuable.  

December 3, 2017 9:50 am  #69

Thank you everyone and sorry BrassyHub,

I totally understand where you are coming from Brassy, I’m not going to get all bitter and angry at my Husband. He’s younger than me and we have only been married 5 years, at 40 years your investment is a lot bigger and I’m sure you have kids and grandkids together, we do not. For me, my husband’s issues go too deep and I now realize I can’t love him into being a better person. Still, he keeps saying he didn’t know himself when we married and guess that means he still doesn’t because he’s still searching and so restless in life.

I love my husband and I know he loves me, and I don’t care what anyone says, I know him and he has never physically been with a man, doesn’t mean he won’t in the future and I now understand that he will say he wants to be with me and wants nobody else, but he still doesn’t know himself and I have already seen that his word means nothing and seen the level of his restlessness and discontent. To expect him to honor what he says would be dumb on my part, history repeats itself. Now if he was able to do what he says and realize it’s important, then I wouldn’t give a crap about his SSA feelings, if he was actually committed to this marriage it wouldn’t matter. But obviously he’s not completely getting what marriage means, at least what it means to me. He finally verified to me that for him marriage just means you don’t sleep with other people and you have a job and bring home money. Wow, I have way bigger expectations of marriage than that, lol

December 4, 2017 12:06 pm  #70

I think this thread started out as a topic of whether we do a good job of supporting both leaving and staying.  So that that end, no - it was never a thread about only being supportive.

Also, if you read what I said, I never congratulated OCJamie on LEAVING.  I said, " You've arrived at a place of understanding that it's not really about how to label their sexuality, but really how to label their behavior.  And that it doesn't matter what he says if he never does it."  For the record, I think every.single.one of us would be better off if we came to the understanding that this isn't about trying to label our spouse as much as it is about their behavior, and what it does to us.  If our spouses came to us honestly and told us that they felt they sometimes had some same sex attraction, but they were being true-blue to us, and cherished us, and they had great intimacy with us and we felt as though our marriage were not compromised by the news that they sometimes get turned on by others of their same ex, then honestly, none of us would BE here.  That's not usually the case - they tell us because they want to change the status of things.  Not necessarily to leave us, but they want something different - even if that something is okay with us.  A lot of them don't tell us at ALL - we find evidence of wrong-doing, and then they deny it, or promise no more of that behavior will happen, and then they repeat the wrongdoing.

I do often advocate for people to break things off - I won't deny that.  But that's not what I'm really about - what I'm really about is for everyone here to see their situation for what it truly is, and then decide if it's making them happy.  And if not, to have the courage to move on.  If they ARE happy with staying, more power to ya!  Congrats!  But even in that situation, honesty and integrity is imperative to the success of the marriage.  If you have that, and you see that the label isn't as applicable as the behaviors and feelings of the two people in the relationship, then good!  That's arriving at some place, too.  It's that middle ground of muddled up, scared, rejected, sad/angry stuff that sucks so bad.  So when someone arrives at clarity, I always applaud that.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera