OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2017 9:13 am  #11

Re: Letter to my ex

It seems like both sides of this debate have merit. 

just personal opinions of course. 
I think it can be harmful to hold in your emotions completely and never express the pain and betrayal.  I think there is a healthy way to outlet those emotions and get them off your chest so that you don't have to fight with yourself in the future to hold them in.   
But, I think once you've done that..  once you've made your feeling known, then there is no point in doing it anymore.  Say what you need to say and then go no contact.  Any rehashing or repetition in communication is fruitless.  No contact is absolutely the best for your own peace of mind and happiness.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 7, 2017 11:49 am  #12

You’re right Phoenix, saying it over and over doesn’t achieve much and does keep you stuck. I wish I had gone no contact earlier but at the same time I know how hard it was. None of this is easy.

November 7, 2017 12:13 pm  #13

Unless I'm wrong, RW is still actively living with her husband.  It would be impossible to go no contact in such a situation.  RW, am I incorrect in that you're still together?  Because if you're not, then definitely go no contact.

You sound so supportive of him, and that may have been okay the first time you caught him and you just wanted the truth, and to figure this thing out together.  But he didn't take you up on that.  He instead lied to you, and then did exactly what he wanted to do - and he knew exactly what he was doing.  He knew he was lying to you, deceiving you, and putting your health in danger.  And he still did it.

It's past time to be supportive at this point.  Especially since you've made mention that he knows how to cut you down and belittle you.  Which means that he's done plenty of that - which is NOT okay - in ANY circumstance.  It IS time to get angry.  I know you wish you were there.  But maybe instead of trying to figure out him, you look at it ONLY from your perspective - that he lied to you, cheated on you, deceived you, put your health in danger, knowingly damaged your relationship, and used you.  If you can concentrate on how he did each of those things, and how little he must respect you in order to do them, you might just get angry.  You're trying to see this from his perspective, but it's past time for that.  He has been seeing it from his perspective alone for a long time now.  You don't BOTH need to be on his side - then who will be on yours?  It's like he's running you over continually in the driveway with the car, and after every hit you hold up a little flag that says, "Go you!" "Thatta Boy!" "I hope this is making you feel fulfilled."  Ugh.  STOP THAT.  It's not healthy.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 7, 2017 1:38 pm  #14

Kel
I am no longer with him, and have not communicated with him since last Thursday morning when all of this came to a head. I am going to do exactly what you said and concentrate how I was treated and lied to. I am now focusing on ME. Your analogy really hits home, and it is true...he'd continually run me over and there I was his cheerleader regardless of how he hurt me. He is a 50 year old man child, and I will not play mommy or cater to him ever again. It is a constant battle each day to break the ruminating thoughts, but I am slowly going to get there. I make small achievable goals each day for myself...that's all I can really do for now. Thank you all so much for your support.

November 7, 2017 2:22 pm  #15

Keep on RW, you're doing great. Just another shout out for no contact. It helps break that rumination cycle. I read so much on here to block them then only when I did it did I feel I was winning.

November 7, 2017 2:45 pm  #16

HELLO THERE I TRULY  DO KNOW YOUR PERSONAL PAIN BECAUSE I TO AM GOING THROUGH THE SIMULAR PAIN AND SITUATION. MY LIFE IS TOTALLY WRAPPED UP INTO MY HUSBAND ERIC. HE IS MY WORLD AND MY FIRST REAL  INLOVE MAN. AND WERE GOING TROUGH SOME REALLY EMOTIONAL EXPERIANCES  NOW AND WERE ONLY 3 YEARS INTO OUR RELATIONSHIP. MY HUSBAND ERIC TREATS  INNA ABUSIVE WAY LIKE ITS ONLY EMOTIONAL ABUSES AND TRAMAS FOR NOW. AND HE TEARS ME APART INSIDE BECAUSE HE KNOWS I DO LOVE HIM A WHOLE LOT AND HE USES MY LOVE FOR HIM TO DOMINATE ME  AND TO CRUSH ME TO AN ANT SIZE WOMAN INSIDE. HE IS HAVING A SEXUAL FUC4 FLING WITH HIS SUPERVISOR AT HIS JOB GARRETT FROM KANSAS . THIS IS HIS SECOND HOMOSEXUAL FLING IN OUR RELATIONSHIP. HIS FIRST WAS SCOTT ANOTHER CO-EMPLOYEE WHO BOLDLY CALLED ME ON THE PHONE AND TOLD ME ABOUT MY ERIC AND HIS FLING BEHIND MY BACK. IVE HAD FAR TO MUCH OF ERIC AND HIS LOVERS MADDNESS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO DEAL WITH ERIC AND HIS CHEATING WITH HOMOSEXUAL SELFISH CRUSHING BEHAVIORS.

November 7, 2017 8:16 pm  #17

Hello Ride, abuse is not something you should live with. I would suggest considering any options you have for seeking some personal counseling. Then there are the legal options. Those vary from place to place but it's usually possible to get a free preliminary chat with any lawyer. That's a great way to ask some questions and start to collect valuable information on what your options are, along with what you are entitled to. That doesn't mean you are deciding to leave or putting a timeline on it. In some cases it pays to quietly build the safety net slowly over time so that one has a solid exit plan. Of course, if physical danger is a possibility, you should always seek to contact the authorities and find an escape to a safe place. Be safe, you might want to consider starting your own thread so you can better share and collect responses into one place.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 17, 2017 4:48 pm  #18

RW, how are you doing?  How's the no contact going?  I know it's hard.  But it gets easier pretty fast.  The trick is to fill up the time with other things, so you're not sitting around, ruminating.

If it helps, make a huge list of specific things he's done to you that you can look back on when you're feeling weak.  "He lied to me about X.  He lied to me about Y.  He tried to make me feel crazy when I confronted him.  The evidence I found that shows he was actively seeking out encounters.  The love-bombing he did afterward.  The promises he made but didn't keep.  All the false hope".  Etc.  It can help to separate it out out into separate events rather than just grand pictures.  "Abusing your trust" is one thing.  246 examples of abusing your trust is quite another thing altogether.

Kel

November 20, 2017 11:14 am  #19

Hi Kel

Still going strong with the no contact. Thanksgiving will mark 3 weeks since I called him out and his denial. I am doing a lot of reading on narcissism and co-dependency. I am trying to just keep moving forward. It is hard because I do hear that he is talking about me to mutual friends stating that I am a crazy bitch. I know what I saw and I know it was real, even though he states it isn't reality. Each day gets easier. My friends are encouraging and telling me I am so strong and doing great. I still find myself talking about him a lot, which I guess is to be expected and is part of the healing process. I am still trying to process it all, but I am not sad anymore, I feel indifferent to it all. Thank you for checking in on me. I hope all is well with you!

November 30, 2017 1:07 pm  #20

Ride or DIe,

I have a son who is emotionally unstable, and for years, he took advantage of my kind heart.  I realized that.  But one day, my husband said something to me that practically flipped a switch in me.  He said, "Kel - he's using your own heart against you - as a weapon."  I hadn't thought of it that way prior, but it was true.  I looked at my soft heart as being at the core of who I am.  And that I will always act out of that place.  But what if you realized that he was taking advantage of your heart.  What if you understood that he knows exactly what he's doing, and he's just playing you?  That he chose you because he could use your heart to his advantage?  Would that change anything for you?

For me, it changed everything.  I had known that was what my son was doing, deep down.  But I hadn't realized it was so overt and that he was knowingly doing it.  Once I became aware of the fact that he knew exactly what he was doing, and I was continuing to let him do it, I realized it was my responsibility to stop people from taking advantage of my heart.  It is my greatest asset - I refuse to let it be used as a weapon against anyone - least of all me.

Kel

Board footera