OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2017 11:41 am  #11

Re: Inching towards daylight

Well Reality I appreciate the advice.  As far as medication is concerned I tried mightily to avoid it but when I could no longer function I had to have help.  When your brain stops producing seratonin you need some help.  No shame in that.  They aren’t “happy pills” this isn’t 1950. 
Ripping the band aid off is probably very useful for those who can do that but sometimes emotionally people need time to process and come to terms with their lives.  The bootstrap mentality is not always a workable solution.
I know you are coming from a place of concern and personal experience so I really appreciate the advice even though I might not agree with a one size fits all tactic.

Last edited by majenco (November 15, 2017 11:42 am)

November 15, 2017 1:35 pm  #12

Majenco
When I first left my ex I had anxiety and the "fight or flight" so bad that I could barely function. I was diagnosed with PTSD after leaving him. I had to go on medicine to help with the anxiety and the depression. It has helped tremendously. I do still have days that are worse than others, but overall the medicine is working. No shame at all in getting help while dealing with something so traumatic.

November 15, 2017 6:47 pm  #13

I completely agree RW.  This is a trauma.  Thanks for your input.  I think sometimes medication is needed to get you moving in the right direction.  I am on a very low dose and it has helped.

November 17, 2017 2:13 am  #14

I've been on Wellbutrin for 13 years now.  I'm never in a fog. I made the decision to end my marriage while on it. I fell in love again and remarried while on it. It helps me from over reacting to things. And I'm good with reacting more normally.  It's a chemical imbalance, and I treat it that way. To each his own with regards to meds.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (November 17, 2017 2:14 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 17, 2017 8:23 am  #15

You’re making huge strides here Majenco, good for you. It is indeed a trauma, and I’m sure you had an intelligent discussion with your doctor about it.  Keep walking forward and posting. Hugs.

November 17, 2017 9:38 am  #16

Thanks Kel and Dee,
I am starting to feel a bit better.  The Wellbutrin is helping as is therapy.  My obsessive thoughts are calmer.  I have stopped constantly combing the internet and fixating on this. 
I don’t know what the future holds, but as long as I am strong enough I know I will be ok with it and make my decisions with my eyes wide open.

Board footera