OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2017 10:26 am  #81

Re: Really Starting to Wonder.....

Josie, 

I'm so sorry to hear this news.  As much as the actions of our spouses hurt us, we don't want them to take their own lives.  How awful for you.  Mostly though, I know as parents we all want what's best for our kids.. and losing a parent is horrific for the kids. 

It sounds like you are doing well considering.  

Congrats on the puppies.. I think it's a wonderful idea.  Take those vacations, find peace and happiness and healing.  

Hope to see more posts from you in the future. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 30, 2017 3:29 pm  #82

Josie,

How are you doing?  How can we help you?

You're in my thoughts -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 15, 2017 9:27 am  #83

So sorry Kel!  I haven't been on here in forever.  Thank you for reaching out.  What my girls and I have been through is awful.  No one should ever have to go through this.  The girls are doing ok.  They are seeing therapists and seem like they are really going to be ok.  I worry that they are too ok....but I hope that the therapy will uncover what they need.  I am doing well.  Crazy thing about my situation is that I mourned the death of the relationship with him long before he did this.  So according to my therapist I am ahead of the grieving process compared to others.  So here is the really crazy thing.  About 6 weeks ago my cousin was visiting and she posted a picture of us together on facebook.  An old (guy) friend from college saw it (he had no idea any of this had happened, I have since told him everything) and he sent a facebook message to me and asked if I'd ever want to go get a drink with him.  Catch is he lives in a city 2.5 hours away, but said he travels here for business all the time......I messaged him back and said sure,  it would be good to catch up and gave him my cell number.  He ended up texting  me that night and we texted for quite some time.  The really crazy thing is that I did actually kiss him once in college, but then ended up dating his roommate for 3 years....we even went on a trip all together our senior year for New Years Eve.  He with his girlfriend and me with my with my boyfriend.  So very funny that we would reconnect like this.  He ended up coming to town for business soon after we connected and we went to dinner.  We were discreet.  I didn't want anyone seeing me.  Since then I have been to his city once ( my daughter happened to be playing in a soccer tournament there) and he has been here twice.  It is going well.  We text every day.  I am very attracted to him and he is to me.  The big hang up is the distance, but he has children older than mine and youngest is senior in high school so very soon he won't have any kids around.  A side note...his wife cheated on him.  I hate that for him, but it makes us both in sort of the same situation.  Neither one of us chose our situation.  My biggest problem now is that I am so worried.  I had so much deceit in my relationship with my husband that I feel like I have a trust issue.  I keep worrying he doesn't like me anymore even though he gives no reason for me to think this.  I even said to him  that  I was tired of everyone feeling sorry for me and that I was worried he would stay with me only because I had been through so much an would be afraid to hurt me.  I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me!  I have only told two people about him.  One of my best friends and my therapist.   My therapist said sometimes to heal you have to lean into another.  She thinks fine for me to be trying this out.  So my big question for those who have moved on and dated is how do you  trust again?  He is definitely not gay.  That is not at all a problem, but I am just so insecure in all of this.  I am trying to take it one day at a time and just want to enjoy this for what it is right now, but I keep having these lingering fears of getting hurt or that he would lie to me about something.  I have thought a couple times that I should just end it before he does.  That is ridiculous.  Anyone else have trust issues once they start dating?

December 15, 2017 11:52 am  #84

Hi Josie,

Try not to overanalyze this right now - you are free to have friends of both sexes, and you are free to date.  I understand not wanting to LOOK like you're dating right now, as it can seem too soon - especially since people don't know the backstory of your marriage and how much grief and loneliness, confusion, anger and sadness you were experiencing at the tail end of your marriage.  They wouldn't know that you'd already mourned your husband and marriage before it actually ended.  So yes - I get where you want to keep that on the downlow right now.  But you ARE entitled to this - even if people knew and disagreed, you are entitled to it.  There is no "right" amount of mourning.  And the time period for you and the girls slogging through this day after day probably seems so long, whereas to outsiders, it just happened.  The timeline doesn't seem the same to both groups.

Now,.... let's talk about trust.  You don't have to be able to see your entire future with this person to decide that today, you're enjoying yourself and he makes you feel good.  If that's where you're at right now, then take it!  I totally get the "I don't understand why he's with me, and I'm scared he's going to leave" part of it.  I've felt like that my whole life - probably as a result of low self confidence stemming from being overweight.  But what if HE admitted to feeling that way about you?  You'd think that was ridiculous, right?  That he's scared that he's not good enough for you and that you'd break up with him over that?  Now, realize that that's likely how he feels - that he really likes you and enjoys you and has no intention of ending this over nothing.  Now,... for ONE minute..... can you just...... believe that's possible?  That maybe you look at yourself doubtfully because you always have?  And that what your husband did to you worked you over even more and made you doubt that you're enough for someone?  That maybe,..... just.... MAYBE.... you ARE enough?  Maybe you were okay all along, but your husband wasn't, so it couldn't work out right, and that wasn't your fault?  Maybe you're wonderful, but just weren't with the right person to appreciate that, and..... you believed him?  Maybe you're okay, hon.  Maybe you're broken at the moment, but not permanently, and you're going to be okay someday.  Maybe sooner than you thought.

Don't break up with him to spare yourself pain when breaking up with him will cause you pain.  That's like preemptively shooting yourself in the foot because you figure that someday, your foot will be mangled from something anyway, so why not get used to it early?  No one does that - that's ludicrous.  We never have assurance that our good things will last forever - not our bodies, not our homes, not our pets, not our jobs, not our relationships.  If you have something that you like, ENJOY it, hon.  Enjoy it while you have it.

Just take one day at a time.  If he's treating you well and bringing you some joy, then keep it up.  Maybe it'll only be temporary, but help to make you who you will become.  Maybe it'll be permanent and this is just the beginning.  There's really no way of telling.  But if what you're worried about is him duping you, then keep your eyes and ears open for the truth - not just the BAD truths, but the good ones, too.  A good person will seem transparent, not too-good-to-be-true.  A good person will seem genuine, caring, open and working toward your benefit.  A man who cares about you will want you to be happy - and will do things that can help you toward that goal.  He will go out of his way to do things for you that bring you comfort or alleviate your burden, if you let him.  LET HIM.  It's how he will show his true intentions.  And stop worrying about whether you're enough - if you're not, he'll let you know one way or the other.  Until then, enjoy the ride!

I spent lots a good portion of the first several months secretly wondering what the heck my now husband sees in me.  The way I saw it, I was fat, middle aged, had a bunch of kids (one of whom was a wreck), debt, furniture that needed replacing, and a kind of jacked-up life (thanks to my ex).  My white family didn't seem welcoming to a black man (which my dh is), I'm loud and obnoxious, and I most of the time look very unkempt (ponytail, no makeup).  On top of that, I wasn't divorced yet, and my mother-in-law lived with the kids and I.  HOW could a man want this?  WHAT was he seeing?  When was he going to wake up?  Was he going to break my heart?

Let me tell you what HE says he saw.  I have no reason to believe or not believe him - so I chose instead to believe him.  Because it's easier.  Lol.  HE saw a curvy, youthful-looking woman his age who was strong, resilient, worked steadily, took care of her kids and her sick mother-in-law, kept house, knew how to cook, and was beautiful without all the hair and makeup - and who was stellar with it all done up - which I do like to do fairly often.  He saw my family as a challenge.  He saw my loud and obnoxious as fun and sarcastic.  He saw my intelligence, my good heart even in extremely challenging situations, and me smiling through most of it.  He saw me as someone he would love to help in life.  And he saw me as great in bed (ha ha).

He saw himSELF as a twice-divorced fat black man with an iffy financial past and nothing much to offer a woman.  Iiiiiii saw him as a kind, caring, loving, protective, attractive tall man that was willing to show me daily how he felt about me - through words and action.  I saw him as tenacious and a big dreamer (but in the right way).  He saw his old car and above-the-garage apartment as being little.  I saw those things as proof that he didn't need much to make him happy, and that he kept what he had clean and took care of it.  He says he had a hard time believing that a woman like me was even available, much less interested in him.  I was still available because no one had compared to him enough for me to stop and spend my time on.

Stop doubting yourself.  That was your old life.  This life, you're going to believe in yourself.  Even if you don't feel it, FAKE it.  Fake it until you believe it.  And then one day, you will.  Trust me on this one.  I could make a career out of that skill.  It works.  Thank the Lord above for providing you with someone good right now - someone who makes you feel excited and special.  And act like you feel that way, too - stop acting like you're not sure if what you're seeing is real.  Just make sure to see the real, and trust your gut.  It's all you can do.  It's all any of us can EVER do.

Merry Christmas!

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 15, 2017 2:07 pm  #85

Josie,

Hey read your post..

I'm a little over a year divorced and I will say I have trust issues.  I have loneliness and worry that I'll talk to anyone gay, straight, narcissist, martian.   But that is not really true; I have a heightened gaydar and a lot more self esteem... I would hot hurt myself in a relationship if there were warning signs going off of narcissism or TGT.. i really would run for hills .    

Your situation/he sounds like a blessing to me.   Sometimes in life we need to look for God on this earth.   We may not see literal angels with wings  ...but I cannot believe that its mere coincidence that your 
friend found you.     I think his having gone through the betrayal like us  (though not as bad as TGT) makes
him less likely to hurt you.. one would hope.

A warm holiday e-hug ...

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 15, 2017 8:13 pm  #86

Yes, Rob, I feel the same way.  I thought the same thing that so many bad things had happened and I was losing a little faith and when this happened I thought maybe I'm being looked after more than I thought.....

Kel, you are right.  First I am definitely over analyzing.  I think it is partly lingering from all the time I spent trying to figure out what my husband what up to.  I've just been in that mode for so long that I almost don't know any other way to be.  

Also I definitely have a self-esteem issue.  I did a little before I married my husband.  Mostly around worrying what other people thought.  Then I married my husband who was controlling and made me feel like I never did anything right.  So now my self esteem is basically shot.  I was really feeling kind of low the other day and I went to a yoga class and someone there gave me a huge compliment on my figure (said I should model for Lu Lu Lemon) and then an hour later a checker at the grocery commented on how beautiful my hair was.  At 45 those are huge compliments.  It was funny in a way because it came at such a good time for me since I was feeling low that day.  It's again like what Rob said.  A little angel was taking care of me that day.  

And I love the part about faking it.  I do need to act like I have confidence because you are right, eventually I will start to believe it. 

December 15, 2017 8:44 pm  #87

You have less to worry about in venturing back into the dating world than many because this man is someone whom you knew years ago - not someone who may not be who he says he is. If the things that he's telling you about his subsequent life check out  (i.e. he is not still married and looking for some side action) then relax and be present in the moment.

I  know that my recovery was helped along  tremendously by falling in love again. It was so uncomplicated!  We were both in our 60's. If he had childhood issues he'd addressed them. He didn't blather on about his life and where he was in his self-discovery.  Life doesn't revolve around him.

Don't end your friendship because you are afraid of getting hurt: we grow through relationships.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 4, 2018 12:52 am  #88

Hi Josie,
It seem to me that you are making this about him, and it shout be about you and your children. It does not matter if he ever comes out or not. You are in an abusive, sexless relationship. The question you should be asking is, do I want to stay in this marriage? As parents we think that the best for our children is to be in a two parent home, but when that home is an abusive home, that is not the best for the kids. The best for them is to be with the parent that can keep them safe and free of violence. Please read about the effects of witnessing domestic violence on children, and look for help with your local domestic violence agency. Remember that domestic violence has many faces, not only physical violence. I would be very concern about your and your children safety if you talk to him about leaving, or about looking for help. Please, do not tell him anything, and look for help from a computer outside your home. And as someone told you before, make sure you make copies of all financial documents, personal documents, and all important documents (and keep them with a friend)  before even talking about any problem or separation. Take care.

Board footera