OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2017 6:14 am  #71

Re: Really Starting to Wonder.....

I"m so sorry, Josie, for the pain you're feeling, and for the wreck this man has made of your lives.  

Although my father was not GID, he did commit suicide (I was already an adult), and our family was told by a counselor that all those who are left feel guilt: it comes with the territory.  And yes, the act also feels like the "ultimate FU"; at times, however, I was able to tell myself that my father was psychologically ill and in pain--not in his right mind (my father was bipolar, and had paranoid delusions that he was being watched 24/7, even in the house).  For you, TGT adds an additional layer of confusion, guilt, and hurt to the confusion, guilt, and hurt that inevitably follows in the wake of a suicide.  

I have no insight on the question you asked, but I couldn't just pass over your post without saying how sorry I am for what you and your family are going through.  Please treat yourself kindly, and know that the decision to kill himself was his and his alone.  

October 11, 2017 6:28 am  #72

I do not know someone who was GID and committed suicide but I do know of someone whose husband was GID and did.  Dr. Francine Barbetta wrote a book about her marriage called "A Pebble in His Shoe" and I read it several years ago when my GID was coming out of the closet. She is a psychologist with a practice in the Philadelphia area. Her website at www.drbarbetta.com has her contact information.

Unfortunately teen suicides are common so most schools have personnel trained to counsel their surviving classmates. Likely your children have individual counselors but if their schools have support groups for students their ages these might be helpful too,

I am glad that you chose to reach out to us and so sorry that you are going through this. Please do not be so strong for your children that you neglect your own emotions.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

October 11, 2017 7:39 am  #73

Josie,

A sincere prayer for you and your family.    I hope your kids don't feel any respnsibility.  How shocking..yet I think you knew your husband had other mental issues besides TGT ?

Do not beat yourself up.   No matter how hurt, angry and shocked we were about our spouses lies and TGT,   we  sometimes forget ..... they have their own issues/demons/problems  that  we cannot solve or help with.. at some point I feel they move beyond our grasp to help...either by pushing us away or hurting us so much that our fierce love for them simply cannot get through..   I hung on and tried so hard to get
my now ex to change her mind (pick me, stop, come back) and was so kind to her even when she was hurting and raging at me.    I know I could not have tried any harder.. and from what you wrote to us...neither could you have.

a kind e-hug 

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 11, 2017 2:20 pm  #74

I'm so sorry that you are in pain Josie, through no fault of your own. I have no experience of this but I hope you can heal and find peace in time.

October 11, 2017 2:35 pm  #75

OH my God, Josie.  I'm SO sorry.  I gasped out loud when I read that he had taken his life.  I'm sure you are suffering greatly at the moment with so many confusing emotions - meanwhile, trying to comfort your kids.

The only positive thing I can say at this point is that he gets to always be a hero to the kids from now on.  My sister has gone through her narcissist dh constantly blowing the kids off and hurting them emotionally, and she's many times said, "God - it would be easier if he'd just died" (he too had tried repeatedly to commit suicide).  She said that he just keeps breaking their daughter's hearts - that if he'd died, they could talk about him in a way that made them forever fond of him.  Instead, he's this ghost that only comes around to hurt them.  Maybe since your kids never knew about his sexual confusion they'll just see him as a great dad to the very end.

This wasn't your fault.  He had to be in immense pain in order to feel that this was his only option.  And that pain was likely caused from him not being able to live without being authentic any longer, and at the same time not being able to see himself as accepting that reality.  He was and always has been in conflict with himself.  He could not accept himSELF, Josie.  That discomfort was too painful to keep bearing.  He was ill to have gotten to this point.  I totally get that you see this as a great big FU.  But that's not necessarily his motive at all.  I asked my sister's husband once what made him get to the point of trying to commit suicide when he'd done so a few months earlier - what was so bad that he wanted to end?  And he just said, "I thought that everyone would be better off without me."  It was never about him escaping - it was about him feeling so worthless that he felt he was a burden to them.

I don't know any other str8 spouses this has happened to.  But I do know plenty of people who've died via suicide.  They really did all want to die and escape the pain that they were in, and the pain they thought they were causing.  And those weren't even people with some huge secret that they thought was blowing up anyone's world.  Most times it was just plain old endless depression.

I'm so sorry, hon.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 11, 2017 2:50 pm  #76

Hi Josie,

I don't have much to offer but wanted to send a hug.  How awful.  How awful for your kids.

Goodness I am not surprised you feel angry, I know how hard it is when you are that angry but it won't last and it is good for you.  The guilt you need to refute - you need to mount a self-defence and that's what the anger will help you with.  

I imagine a lot of your thoughts are centred around how to help your children and I just think, from the way you write that you will do an amazing job of that.  

wishing you all the best, Lily

October 11, 2017 11:24 pm  #77

Josie,
I'm so sorry to hear this news.  How awful!   Keep reaching out when you can.  Offering sincere thoughts and care,
Tam.

October 12, 2017 6:11 am  #78

The Matha Lawson post appears to be SPAM but I don't see a way to reach the Administrators to get it removed.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

October 12, 2017 6:19 am  #79

Oh Josie,
I’m SO sorry, how horrific.  Please remember, this is absolutely not your fault. Keeping you and your children in my thoughts, and hoping you all find peace.

Dee

October 12, 2017 9:23 am  #80

Thank you all for your responses.  Out of His Closet - as I said in my post, my husband was bi-polar (they said slightly, whatever that means) but also he was having the delusions.  Interesting that your father and my husband had same symptoms.  In my search of what causes delusions I came across a couple of times that being GID can cause delusions (many other things can too).  It was something that Freud came up with and many disputed it, but it is still interesting that it is a possibility.  

Kel - In the note he left he did say he thought we'd be better off without him and also he said he wanted his kids to remember him how he was.  All things you are saying above.  I don't think I'll ever think this was the right decision, but we can't change it so I have to hope that some part of that is true. 

My girls are doing ok.  (I worry at times too well....), but we just take it one day at a time and try to find things to be happy about.  We got two puppies (yes, two and yes, its a bit crazy), but they are good therapy for us.  We're at the beach right now for our fall break with my sister and her kids and have planned a trip to Hawaii for Christmas.  All good things that are getting us through.  I still have been getting on this site and reading things, because it continues to provide answers to the things that were going on with my husband.  I am so happy I found this group and appreciate all of you.  I'm sure I'll still be around as I like to keep up with you guys and hear your stories.  

Board footera