OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2017 7:06 pm  #1

Today i face homelessness, putting my pets up for rescue

For 2 years ive been in GID abusive relationship. Ive learned he is HIV+ and still cheating with numerous strangers on Craigslist.I just spoke to one of the men he had seen on more than one occasion that he hooked up with on CL. I confronted him and all hell broke loose. Now i face being homeless, sending my beloved pets to a shelter, and losing all my property.There is no SSN meetings here in Omaha. If there is anyone who can talk to i could use it now more than ever.

October 4, 2017 7:24 pm  #2

Re: Today i face homelessness, putting my pets up for rescue

SSN has a number of their website. You can click the banner at the top of the board to get there.
Are you married? You have rights.
Even unmarried, you may have rights as a common-law spouse.
If things are violent, by all means, keep yourself safe but don't believe any sort of 'you get nothing' narrative that comes from him. Don't sign anything. Get some legal advice. Take care of yourself.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 4, 2017 7:43 pm  #3

I called the site two weeks ago and left a message as instructed. I was contacted shortly after to learn there are no SSN meeting in my town. Not married yet thank God but no common law protection in this state.All i wanted was some honesty and a chance to end things like adults cleaning our mess and going our seperate ways.

October 4, 2017 8:51 pm  #4

No one can just..... kick you out of the home you're living in.  It takes MONTHS to have that happen - enough time for you to get a plan together.  The law says that if you've been living there for more than two weeks, they can't just kick you out - it's your HOME.  They have to give you a written notice that you have 30 days to vacate.  After that, they have to go to court and give you at least another 30 - another written notice.  The judge then decides if you need more time or if they can evict you.  It doesn't even matter if you were previously a bum off the street - if they've let you stay there - with or without a lease - for a decent length of time, they can't just kick you out.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't make life so miserable that you wouldn't just rather be on the street.

Is there someone who could/would take your pets for the time being?  Maybe contact some local fostering agencies to see if they can help you for a few months.

Why would you lose any of your property?  That doesn't even make sense.  You need to contact a lawyer.  Even if you can't afford one, they'll do a free consultation and tell you your rights.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 5, 2017 6:49 am  #5

Tenants' rights vary from state to state and I do not know Nebraska law. Here is the wwebsite for the Legal Services program which serves the state and provides free legal services in civil matters such as this:www.legalaidofnebraska.org

They are based in Omaha and you can apply online or call them this per the website.

If by "abusive" there has been behavior that qualifies as domestic violence they can help you connect with resources for survivors too.

I hope this helps.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

October 10, 2017 11:17 am  #6

Brainwashedbeard, I am sorry I didn't see your post until just now. I don't have any legal information like the others who have replied, but I am extremely active with animal rescue and have some contacts all over the world. Please send me a message and let me know if I can help you try to secure a foster home for your pets, if you are forced to leave your own place. That way they will be healthy and ready for you to take them to your new home, whenever you're ready. 

Board footera