OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2018 5:23 pm  #1

another one to add to the statistics

OK: Last night I said I'm done.  We've agreed to divorce.  Our goal is to do so amicably.  I'll hope we can keep it that way.
Disclosure: March 2015
Agreed to Divorce: January 2018

I don't know if Sam's keeping statistics, but there you are.

January 20, 2018 5:42 pm  #2

Re: another one to add to the statistics

Giant step towards a more peaceful future OOHC. I’m sure this is a big relief for you after all this time.

You know I’m totally rooting for your happiness

January 20, 2018 6:26 pm  #3

yes, giant step towards a more peaceful future.  Good for you.  wishing you all the best, Lily

January 20, 2018 7:04 pm  #4

OOHC,

Steady on and forward.    You've been living it for 3 years. I hope he stays amicable.   You've got lots of support here.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 20, 2018 7:25 pm  #5

Wishing you peace moving forward. You are not a statistic, you are brave, please remember that.

January 21, 2018 6:47 am  #6

Thank you all for your supportive and kind words.  
It's been a long three years, and although I'm not out of the trans woods yet and I know there will be challenges in both the short range and long range futures, I'm relieved to have finally said what I knew had to be said. Relieved, alternating with sadness, anger, and grief.  I am looking forward to the time the relief and a new hope are the predominant emotions.  
    Like all of you, I never wanted to be in a MOM.  And I learned that I can't stay there.

January 21, 2018 1:04 pm  #7

Hard.  I can't imagine 3 years.  Wow!  going through it here too.  And no, there aren't two sides to a divorce.  If there is a 0% chance it cant work out then life must go on.  It is hard.  Once mine told me she was gay things went downhill fast.  Sucks.  Life will get better.  Piles of good folks on here can confirm to that! 

Good luck to all,

January 21, 2018 1:08 pm  #8

Oh,  and I hope you can stay amicable.   That is easy to say.  Don't make super emotional decisions and do it right.  I can barely talk to mine on the phone and I haven't seen her in person in a while.  Thank goodness for texting.  Super hurt in this world.

January 21, 2018 1:51 pm  #9

OOHC.  I know that was an agonizing decision to make.  I hope you find peace in it.  Keep moving forward!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 22, 2018 12:28 pm  #10

OoHC,

No one's keeping track of who decides to stay and who doesn't.  That's part of why I'm always telling people that they don't get a prize for sticking it out in a dead marriage.  There's no one there to congratulate you on having suffered through the muck.  There are plenty though who will ask if you if you're sure.  As if YOU are the only one not thinking your marriage through thoroughly enough.  No one can say you didn't try hard enough and long enough, though.  Three years after disclosure is a long time to hang in there.  Once we reach a point where we realize that things aren't going to change, and we can't live with them the way they are, so we either have to accept it, or get out.  That's really all there is.

Hoping you get some peace soon.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera