OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2016 1:05 pm  #1

Stuck

My story is kind of nuts I believe and I am always trying to figure this out. We'll back in 2013 my spouse came out like, I think I'm gay. I was in total shock bc I would not have imagined this. Well it is 2016 and we are living in the same house still , bc of financial reasons and I am currently wrapping up my masters degree. I know deep down inside that I need to leave but I am trying to hold on until my oldest gets through high schoolin two years. I want to be able to send him off financially stable, bc I don't want to move him around when he is working to get a scholarship. My husband continues to tell me how much he loves me, but I don't believe him at all. I just know that if I don't play things by the way he expects them he will control my whole life. He also has away of making people think that he is well put together and I am the bad one, bc Noone knows his secret. I feel that my children should not be in the cross fires of his actions. I have been slowly, but depressingly working on my get away from his situation. I have lost myself and I don't want to have nothing in the end. He has cheated for 7 years of our 10 years together.

So here is what I have done
1 stuck in marriage for 10 years, so that I qualify for his pension/retirement. I feel that I do deserve this.

About to buy a house, and move into it and gain residency with my younger kids and fight like hell for it in the divorce.

Keep my car and give one to my son when he heads off to college as a gift.

Apply for child support bc he is locked in his job for ten more years.

My question am I going about this wrong

August 7, 2016 2:54 pm  #2

Re: Stuck

Sounds like you have things well planned out.   Do what needs to be done.  While one would like to get in the car with the kids and never return life doesn't work like that. We all do whatever we need to to survive.

Last edited by Rob (August 7, 2016 2:55 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 7, 2016 5:38 pm  #3

I think you need to consult with a lawyer ASAP about buying the house.  I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy it now or wait until after the divorce.  I have no idea.

Normally I'd tell people to run - but in your situation you are right at the very end and it makes more sense to stick it out before filing.  But the good thing is that you have a plan and you've done what you need to do.  Definitely consult with an attorney on the house thing.

August 7, 2016 8:01 pm  #4

I'd also suggest you seek counsel with a lawyer who is familiar with your state's laws regarding spousal assets.  Some states vary in who gets what especially IF you have joint banking accts, minor children and all the expenses assoc. with that.  I found out 2 yrs ago that my partner was frequenting CL personals M4M and while the emotional rollercoaster does surface at times(he was adamant and denies having an active relationship or "hook ups" or being gay....so I question what straight man would be on gay chats, soliciting sex with men and on gay sites.....this has been swept under the rug and never mention since the big blow out so I've been trying to pull my finances together and trying to decide my best options....unfortunately, I need help in paying the household expenses and he's not abusive and shockingly very loving in other ways so I'm not rocking the boat at this point.  I retired early thinking this was it and we could manage with our pension and small retirement funds and NEVER did I think I'd ever have to be dependent on a man given my career and salary but here I am....I hope you cover all your bases as you seem to be doing but especially in purchasing another home BEFORE divorcing this man....been there and definitely the stress you are going through...best wishes and a huge hug for being strong!

August 8, 2016 11:13 am  #5

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will look into meeting with an attorney. He doesn't know that I am going to file as soon as my child gets out of high school. I personally am counting to months down. I feel lost sometimes in this situation and depressed at times, bc he came out one night and attempted to go back in the closet. Once you are out you are out. Oh and he is very slick with his words. He believes if he buys me things I will stay. Well in the past he would get me gifts and I thought he was so great. Come to find out they were guilty gifts. He knew he did something jacked up to me and wanted to feel better so he got me things. I found this out through reevaluation. I personally like manly men, all of sudden he is like a delicate flower. It really is disturbing thing to watch. He points very feminine and even walks more like a woman than I. I continue to watch him and continue to realize that I will be leaving soon enough.

August 8, 2016 11:52 am  #6

".. I continue to watch him and continue to realize that I will be leaving soon enough".

Yes, I went into that mode..I had to...she starting ignoring me completely...its like her girlfriend told her don't talk to him, don't give him the time of day.  Don't  look at him.   Only talk to the kids.    Devalue him.
Once we were divorcing she still needed to maintain her persona of superiority and my worthlessness.  
It was and still is sick but at least I am free of her now..I hope to have value as human being again.

Good luck with your plans and exit.    It will be quite hard maintaining your "indifference" while living together.  He may catch on.  Then again, your husband might like being left alone and continue his escapades thinking he's fooling you.       Continue to take care of yourself.

PS:  I can give good tips on avoiding your spouse and not even acknowledging them while living in the same house.

August 10, 2016 10:30 pm  #7

Oh yes he does think that that I am completely dumb. I also allowed him to believe that also. While he continued to play his games, I decided that I needed to do something that would secure my future as well as my children. I am also in graduate school working on my last semester and I can finally say, I will be able to make it without him. I just don't feel I should walk away with nothing. I do need advice on how to avoid him, it would be very beneficial in effort to coexist.

August 10, 2016 11:55 pm  #8

Amber

Where to start.  I always made it a point to be home when the kids were home.  If they were at friends I'd stay out and not go home.. if the kids needed a ride anywhere..id do it...this got me away from her and let me talk to other normal people.   
At home I made the downstairs my place with computers and tv. We just kept away from each other.  I also recommend a phone app called Flipboard. .this gives you lots of things to read and gets geared toward your interest..it gets you disinterest in your spouse. In general keep busy so you have no time to show any interest in them.
It was so bad in my house that we got to the point where we could eat dinner with kids without ever looking at or talking to each other.  We weren't even roomates..more like 2 strangers sharing a house.

August 11, 2016 12:17 am  #9

I would suggest you collect copies of all of your financial information.
Make appointments with as many attorneys as you can, who offer the first hour consultation for free.
Make a list of questions (some folks here could probably offer suggestions)
Be aware of local laws. If you're in a no-fault state, things are decidedly different; particularly in California.

A word of caution, although you may be using a pseuodnym in here, it would likely not be difficult for a snooping spouse (or some of his pals) to figure out who you are. NEVER EVER discuss the specifics of your legal strategy anywhere online, no matter how "private" the site may be.

Attorneys/the courts, if it comes to that, will determine who gets what, no matter what kind of plan you have in your head. That's just reality.

August 11, 2016 11:14 am  #10

Hi Ambre, I was married for 29 years to a gay/bi man.(I didn't know) I have been divorced almost 3 years now. He didn't tell me the truth about his life until I forced him into counseling. For many years, while he was in his long term affair with a gay friend of ours, he would belittle me and try to constantly turn the arguments into it all being my fault. It was his way of deflecting the blame and avoiding telling me the truth. Most of the fights were about money and his lack of business knowledge. Also around anything to do with supporting the 3 children. He resented having to pay for college etc. He also kept me around because I had a stable good paying job and could get financing for his small business. whenever we would fight, he would always draw me back in with 'I still love you.' It appears that's all I needed to hear. We almost broke up (probably every 5 years or so) and he would come crying back begging me to try again. I stayed because I wanted to keep my family together. At the time, I still had a child in high school and two in university. My point is, if I had known the truth I never would have stayed and put myself through the agony of going further into debt supporting a person who was using me as his cover and bank at the same time. I got a good accountant who helped me sort through a losing business (he told me to run and get my name off everything), I found an investment adviser who helped me with a retirement plan, I hired a great lawyer who listened to me and understood what I needed to do quickly. (I had a separation agreement in 3 mths). I found a fantastic counselor who also happened to be gay. He was able to offer me insight into the gay lifestyle and relationship patterns. He had counseled many men coming out of the closet and many Str8 (mostly women) who were faced with the exact situation as mine. These professionals can help you with a plan to go out on your own. It may take some time to find these people but it is worth it. Good luck on your decision making. Everyone has a different path to take and you will find the answers as you seek them. 

Board footera