OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2018 10:51 am  #1

Update from Piper55

It's been a while since I posted, but I've been reading all of your posts, and am sending you healing and positive thoughts and prayers. This truly is a maddening time, a time when some of us doubt our self-worth and especially our sexual self-esteem. It's been 10 months since I fully suspected enough that my husband was gay-in-denial to get my own head out of the sand. I was married to my GID (Gay in Denial) spouse for almost 10 years, together over 12. Thankfully, I have my own house in a town about an hour from him, so I can live on my own (though money is an issue). I can't lie and pretend I didn't get "snowed" back into the marriage with the love bombing, the "passionate" (rather desperate) sex. And then, within months, the sex took a dark turn. It dwindled to once or twice a month. I keep a fit body, have even undergone breast lifts/tummy tucks to try to entice him, thinking I must be ugly since he never seemed to "hunger" for me. During sex, he keeps his eyes shut tight, won't open them. He is done in less than 5 minutes. I have been living at my own place, but feel like I have to placate him or he won't give me my monthly allowance. I lost my job of 30 years and am a writer hoping to publish a new book for income. When I married him, he presented a pre-nup on the day before our wedding and I was coerced into signing it. The pre-nup leaves me penniless. I have hired a private investigator specializing in digital forensics. They will look into his phone(s) and computer for everything. What has thrown me off course, is he NEVER hides his phone. He also doesn't seem to delete his history or act protective of his phone I have never found proof on the phone or computer for his proclivities. A year ago, I did find something on his old phone. He said to a male friend. "Want to go have a nice dinner tonight?" There is more about him. He is obsessed with staying fit and thin. Hates fat on men and women. Loves musicals, romantic comedies, and geeked out during xmas watching the Hallmark holiday movies. He loves Moulin Rouge and Rent, both musicals. He loved Glee, the Voice, the movie Mama Mia, and on and on. His best friend since childhood is gay and they always have lunch together (but usually with another person or two.) His gay best friend has a partner. I was told before I married him that he was gay and his wife caught him in bed with a man. I have no proof, other than my instincts which are raging and making me crazy. I have asked him if he is gay and he denied it. All I know is that he makes me feel disgusting and ashamed to even disrobe near him. He doesn't kiss me passionately. He IS affectionate about hugs and hand-holding. I'm slowly going bat-shit crazy. Just needed to vent and seek support. 

January 12, 2018 11:25 am  #2

Re: Update from Piper55

Hi Piper, 

Welcome back and thanks for posting an update.  Sorry to hear you are still in a frustrating situation.  

Many of us will never get an admission.  As frustrating as that is, sometimes we just have to go with what our gut tells us.  

I wouldn't be surprised if your spouse has a 2nd phone or another way to doing his illicit communications.  If he knew you were "on to him" he would be careful to protect that information and having a secret phone would be a great way to do it.  In fact, if he did have a second phone and his primary was clear of incrimination he would probably want you to see it to help convince you he's not doing anything wrong. 

Have you had an attorney review the pre-nup agreement?  Sometimes they aren't so "iron-clad" and after a decade of marriage there is a likelihood that finances have mixed so much that many of the points in the pre-nup are now not enforceable.  Also, typically a pre-nup covers assets owned prior to marriage.  If you've been married 10 years, you've likely accumulated a lot of assets and equity in property during that time period and those things should be split jointly regardless.   I'm definitely not an attorney..so these are just my opinions.. but I would recommend you do see a professional to ask. 

Is the money situation the only reason you are still married to him?  Or are you still struggling with other concerns?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 12, 2018 11:52 am  #3

Thanks so much, Phoenix. Ironically, I just now got a text message from him saying, "I love you even more and I need you with me." Funny thing is, I had not texted him. He must have meant that message for someone who said, "I love you," to him. I'm so done!

January 12, 2018 7:19 pm  #4

Piper,

A warm hello and thanks for checking in.   

Its good you are physically away from him.  Its important to have safe place away from the abuse.

Are you looking for proof with a PI just to know?  Or is there some legal advantage to having proof?  I'm just wondering...in my state unless my GX was an axe murderer the courts could care less if she was gave or cheated. I had hacked all her stuff.   In my state I could see a prenup protecting assets he had...but not future alimony/spousal support..  I know nothing about that stuff though.

Do not reply to those texts...no contact.

If its any solace I saw my GX tonight and got some angry comment from her...she seems as angry as ever...so all is not always happy in gayland.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 13, 2018 3:53 pm  #5

Hi Piper, I'm sort of new here, too.  I'm trying to work through my options, both from the legal perspective, the financial perspective, and the mental health perspective.  It's possible that I will end up staying married.  Maybe even likely.  But, I do need to change some things in the dynamic of the marriage if I'm going to stay.  I haven't confronted my husband yet, because I'm trying to sort these things through.  

​I'm a lawyer myself, but I haven't taken a look at matrimonial law since I crammed for the bar exam thirty years ago, so I'll be the first to tell you: have a good lawyer look over that prenup.  It may or may not be enforceable, particularly if you can show it was induced by fraud or circumstances of duress.  Concepts of "fraud" or "duress" will vary from state to state, as will the law regarding enforceability of a prenup, so by all means you need a lawyer to sit down with you and walk through the circumstances of your marriage.

​I would have that lawyer advise you as to whether the prenup was the product of fraud, when you were induced into the marriage on the promise that your fiance was heterosexual.

Last edited by walkbymyself (January 13, 2018 3:55 pm)

Board footera