OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2017 5:23 pm  #1

My wife is a lesbian

I have been married for 13 years, though we have been together for much longer, and we have two kids.  Around a month or two ago (I can no longer keep track of time) she told me that she thought she was bi-sexual.  She had been dropping some hints prior to that, but she finally came out and told me.  It was a bit hard to process in my mind, but at least there was some hope that we could continue our marriage.  However, she started talking about having an open relationship, which after some thought I was just not comfortable with. I didn't want to see anyone else, so it would really only be open for her (she said women only).  It almost surprised me at first that her seeking a relationship with another woman would bother me so much, but taking gender out of it, it just hurt that she wanted an outside relationship.  So, we started talking about separating.  Things were moving so fast that we both agreed to hit the breaks and give ourselves time to think.  We actually still get along great and are open and honest with each other (at least I hope so).  After a few weeks of pretending nothing was wrong (which felt great), I brought up the subject again because I needed to know where we were going.  This is when she told me that she thought that she was a Lesbian and not bi-sexual.  She is confused, because she has never actually explored this with another woman, but she is sure enough that this is what she wants to do/try.  Now we have come full circle, as I don't want to have an open relationship, and she says she knows she is a Lesbian and finally said that she no longer feels the same attraction towards me.  So, we are separating and are now in the process of trying to figure out what comes next.  We are still living together, which is getting a bit harder now because I am an emotional wreck.  I don't want our marriage to end and feel like I am living in an alternate universe or some bad dream where this is not real.  We haven't told our families yet, only a few select friends.  We have both started therapy to help get through this.  I know she is sad, confused, and devastated that the marriage is ending (she has gone back and forth on if she wants it to end), but I feel now that she is moving on.  This has happened so quickly.  I feel like she at least has this new life to look forward to (being able to be true to herself) and I really hope she will be happy, but I don't have anything to look forward to. 

December 9, 2017 6:17 pm  #2

Re: My wife is a lesbian

Wow man,

Same boat as me.  I was told from my help that this has just happened to a man on the coast of BC here.  Honestly sounds just like my situation.  I am 6 weeks in after a crazy year of moving and changing jobs and new school for the kids.  I keep telling myself to not go down that awful emotional tunnel where it overwhelms you.  Easier said then done.  Look out for yourself and the kids now.  Funny how they want an open marriage.  Oh. That will work all right.  How dumb are they!  I hate to say it but you have been duped and tricked and whatever.  I am at the stage where it is hard to be around her. Simple as that.   Going to take time, and be a lot of hops for us to get through this.  Best of luck and let me know if I can give you some advice.  Stay strong and realize there is nothing you can do.  My wife was hanging out with an open woman, but says she has never kissed or been with one.  Makes me sick.  I can't wait until she is my ex.  I was tricked since I was 22.  40 years old here soon.  She will not ruin my life.  Simple.

December 10, 2017 12:39 am  #3

Username1, it's quite common for the straight partner to not want the relationship to end because we invested into it and we haven't changed who we are at such a fundamental level. Try to be kind to yourself. This isn't something you caused and there is little you could do to stop it.The therapy is a good idea.

Living together will be difficult, I'm assuming it's until everything gets sorted out. You should try to get that changed as soon as possible but find out what the law says in the area you live in. In the meantime, you may want to set some mutually agreed ground rules around daily life. Sleeping in different rooms. Private space for all. Respectful conversation and sharing of household duties but no demonstrations of romantic type affection. Dating will be an elephant in the room you need to address. Yes or no while you still cohabitate? I expect your spouse will soon be giddy to get out there, if you're not, you may become the defacto babysitter of convenience, but is that fair? No matter how much time you may be spending with your kids, it will tear you up wondering what she is up to. She should have to also spend time being responsible at home while you go out, maybe too soon for dating for you, but indulging in something, even if it's a darts league.

Don't be confused by her being sad or flip/flopping on this. That may just be a little human compassion in the face of the pain you are feeling. It sounds that she has decided what she wants.

It may look bleak at the moment but there is a life ahead for you. Small steps each day.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 10, 2017 10:27 am  #4

Welcome to the group username1, 

You might feel like you are the only person in the world this has happened to, but here in this small corner of the internet we have a collection of people who know exactly how you feel.  I hope you find comfort and validation from our group.  We are here to support you as well as we can. 

You brought up some interesting points that I think need some re-enforcement.  
She started by dropping hints that she was bi-sexual, then talked about open marriage, then said she was lesbian, then said she wanted a divorce.  This is the progression she wants you to see because she's trying to limit her guilt.  She has most likely known that she is a lesbian since her early teen years, but didn't want to embrace that.  Most of our spouses didn't want to be labelled as gay or lesbian and wanted to live a "normal" straight life, so they tried to do that. They convinced themselves that they could love a man enough to enjoy sex and bury that same-sex-attraction.  It probably worked for a while just because sexuality was new and exciting and you were building a life together and having kids..  but after a while the that wears off and they have to confront the SSA again.  My point is that she has always known, but recently has lost the fight to hide it.  What she has shown you is an act.  It's orchestrated to make it seem like she has always genuinely loved you, but these recent changes are somehow new to her and unexpected.  That pretend scenario makes her much less guilty than the truth, which is that she selfishly brought you along for a ride while she conducted an experiment with her life. 

Knowing the above will help you understand why it seems like she is moving on so quickly and is looking forward to the change.  She is WAY ahead of you in processing this whole thing so of course it's easy for her to move on quickly.  She is also moving toward something she desires and she feels is best for her, so it's a positive transition in her mind.  So of course it will seem like she's happy.   You on the other hand are getting screwed by this whole situation.  It's going to be much much more difficult for you.  Don't ever buy any sob story from her about how hard it is for her.  

I do want you to understand though, that you do have something to look forward to.  You have will have an amazing life.  By experiencing this pain you will transform into an amazing new person.  Having known how much hurt there is in life and how miserable a time can be, you will have so much more appreciation for life when you reach the next stage.   You will just be a happier person.  You will be a stronger person.  You will be a more caring and empathetic person.  You will a much better dad to your kids and you'll have a much stronger relationship with them.  I promise all of this will be true.  You can't see it yet.. it's impossible to see right now, so don't feel bad about being depressed and negative about your future.  It's normal and expected.  But you'll get through this and you'll come out the other side better than you ever were before. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 10, 2017 11:42 am  #5

Phoenix,

Such true words.  It seems like my wife is light years a head.  Not really happy, but did you sum it up.  It rings true already on being a better dad.  I hope username 1 gives us an update.  I am only a few weeks ahead of him from d-day.  The first few weeks were ok, now I don't want to see her ever again.  She is still in my dreams as I try to sleep at night. They have known for a long time, and tried to suppress it.   This all makes sense once you process it all. Life throws you some serious curve balls.  My advice would be to find something you like and to it!  Hiking, biking, writing.  Whatever it is.  I found being alone the first month was tough.  Now I can be alone and not go down that dark emotional tunnel.  Stay away from booze.  That has been a tough one for me.  Shoot us an update when you can.  Sounds like we are in a similar boat.  I won't call it the titanic, but hopefully the start of a disney cruise off to a tropical paradise.  Eventually we will sail into a beautiful sunset.

December 10, 2017 12:52 pm  #6

Thanks for the responses, information, and encouragement.  I am having good days and bad days, and yesterday was definitely a bad day.  I think the hardest part is just accepting that the marriage is over and there is no longer any opportunity to save it.  I agree that she is way ahead of me in terms of processing this, and I anticipate that very soon she will start joining the lesbian community.  We are still living together because this happened so fast that it is just this weekend that I think I am finally accepting reality.  Also, she is a stay at home mom for the most part, so she doesn't have much if any income at this point.  She is starting to look for a job, but I'm not sure how long that will take.  I have already told her that we need to start figuring out the divorce process and that we can not have this drag on forever.  I don't think she is in any hurry because right now we have a nice home and she doesn't need to worry about money or employment and she can ease into things.  But, I can't.  I need this to be fast, just rip off the band aid so we can move on.  So, I am researching the divorce laws and looking at all of the options.  The most important thing to me are the kids.  There are just a lot of things to consider and get in order to make sure this is done fairly.

December 10, 2017 1:37 pm  #7

This is probably going to sound cold, but do not worry about "fair."  Worry about getting the best deal for your kids and yourself that you can.  Your wife is showing you, right now, that she's interested only in what works for her, and in this phase of her new existence she is going to become very self-centered, while you are still used to thinking about "the family" and about her--see your first post, where you talk about her feelings. You need to stop worrying about what she is feeling; if you are concerned for her, you'll be less likely to fight for your own future.  Go see a lawyer; see several, in fact, because any lawyer you've consulted cannot then represent her, and if she decides she's entitled to more than you are willing to agree to, she may turn nasty.  It wouldn't be surprising if she starts to think of herself as a victim (of a homophobic society, maybe of you, who knows), which will double her feeling of being entitled to compensation, which you will be in the firing line of providing.   
  I think you need to tell your family; you need their support and understanding.  

December 10, 2017 3:16 pm  #8

It is amazing how quickly your world can change around you once they tell you they are gay. Actually you might have an advantage in that they actually told you.  I think staying in the house will be incredibly difficult.  You will be grieving and she will be contemplating her fabulous new life etc. You will also be happy,  as Phoenix pointed out. But right now I suspect you are still finding your bearings.  A really important thing to do is consult with an attorney.  It’s a good idea to have a clear idea of where you stand and don’t assume they will play fair.

December 10, 2017 10:10 pm  #9

I am still in the same house.  Very tough.  Tied together in some way by the kids.  Look out for yourself.  My wife is already looking at the assets.  Into my pension too.  We will try without lawyers as they eat up a pile of money.  Up here the law says 50/50 split. Going to be tough.  I know the feeling.  Life will gone on. That is keeping me sane.  Yup.  You married a gay woman as did I.  It sucks.

December 10, 2017 10:18 pm  #10

I read the 4th post by Phoenix to my coming out wife.  Sounded like most of that rang true.  We have been duped and experimented with even if it wasn't on purpose.  I guess it comes down to that we tried, but there is nothing you can do now.  It is hard.  Simple.

Board footera