OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2017 5:08 pm  #1

Christmas is hard

This time of year is going to be very difficult.  I always loved Christmas, my favorite time of year, happy memories from childhood, the music, parties and food, beautiful decorations, I loved all of it.  Even though my mother passed away in December many years ago, my love of the season has persisted.
I even chose to get married in December because I wanted to be amongst all the beautiful lights and decorations on my wedding day.
Well my anniversary passed.  Now Christmas is coming, lights are up, cards written, cookies baked, I still feel extremely grinchy.
This past year has been about all I can take.  I just want it to be over.  I am hoping 2018 will bring healing to my heart and peace to my troubled mind.  I am still with my husband.  I am not sure if that will be the case next Christmas and I’m good with that if that’s what needs to happen. 
I have had to face a lot of hard truths in the past 12 months.  I’m ready for the new year and a new me.  A person who understands their own mind.  2018 is going to be my year.  One way or another.

December 4, 2017 5:30 pm  #2

Re: Christmas is hard

Yes, it can be hard to get into any kind of Christmas spirit when going through this. It will make you appreciate the past experiences and the good ones to come. Maybe for this year you can do things a bit differently? Volunteer to collect donations (like Salvation Army kettles), work at a food bank, help serve Christmas dinner at a homeless shelter, a party at a Children's Hospital. Something like that is where the real spirit resides. Be well and here's to 2018!

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 4, 2017 5:34 pm  #3

Yes, being thankful for the good things I do have is an important thing to appreciate and bring with me into the new year.

December 5, 2017 1:01 am  #4

Yes.  It is hard!  My wife kind of did the tree tonight. Beautiful log house and a great tree and it was a crappy night.  Usually so fun with the kids.  Her birthday is dec 25 too!  1 month since she told me.  Going to be a crappy Christmas.  Supposed to stay at the in laws.  They know she is out now.  Great stuff.  Not sure if I will stay there.  I may miss Christmas with my kids.   Sure puts a weight on your shoulders living with a gay spouse.  It is over, but nothing will happen until the summer.  Money, kids in school and so on.  When I look at her now all I can think of is that she is gay.    Hard to get into the spirit here.  Even have tickets to a Christmas train in 2 weeks!

December 5, 2017 11:10 am  #5

Count, do you have family from your side nearby to stay with? If so and you can't bear to do the Christmas morning thing at the in-laws, why not have a second gift opening over there later in the day? I don't think it's unusual to have a time share arrangement - Christmas Eve/Day or Christmas Day/Boxing Day split. You are just as deserving of your kids presence in your life at that time of year. Now it just needs a bit of compromise and fairness from year to year.

Last edited by Daryl (December 5, 2017 11:11 am)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 5, 2017 11:49 pm  #6

My parents are close by.  They don't know yet.  Next year for sure we will split up the time.  The in laws are in denial.  It will seem real once we split.  And really real once she has a girlfriend.  She will. She found one in a small town we just moved from!!!!  Long story.  Had the sheets pulled over my eyes like a lot on here.  Do I feel duped.  She said she lived an honest life before.  Oh yah.  Loved the show the L word. Had a crush on a lesbian teacher 13 years ago.   Thanks for the bullshit.   Finding out things now of course.  Like I said.  She can destroy her life.  Mine will be great!!!  People will be hurt, but life will go on.  I already know I will do better once she is gone now.  Always connected in a way since we have kids.  Never knew she was such a lost soul.  Essentially a huge F off to her!!!

December 6, 2017 11:49 am  #7

I remember fostering some new traditions that I felt like we could all have fun doing without feeling like we needed to be touchy-feeling doing them.  For instance, I started making sugar cookie dough and having the kids cut it all out with freshly-bought cookie cutters, and then bake them.  The next night, we'd all decorate them.  I'd put out all the cookies, a wire rack with newspapers underneath, and lots of sprinkles and icing in different colors.  They didn't even care that it was difficult to do because Mommy didn't know yet how to make piping vs. fill icing.  They just had fun.  And the cookies looked AWFUL.  And they loved it!  I'm sure Daddy participated, as did his mom, who lived with us then.  If you put on some Christmas music and get the fun flowing, then you can each interact with the kids separately without them ever even realizing it's being done.  My ex often walked away from such an event a few minutes after starting - likely because he a) wasn't into that anyway, and b) he didn't like to be a group when we were splitting.  And that was fine - he was still around for them to show their creations to.  The whole thing was new, so there really weren't expectations that weren't being met.  It worked.  We still do it to this day.  Guess I've got to get around to that this year!!!

It was difficult to figure out whether my ex and I should get each other presents - because we felt it would feel obvious to the kids that we didn't.  I established ground rules - no overly-personal gifts.  Nothing in the way of jewelry or clothing.  Nothing that went toward the household as a unit.  No Christmas towels or baking pans or cookbooks (we both cooked) - because we didn't want to have to split those up later.  He gave me a Kindle and an Amazon gift card - for book purchases.  That was lovely - it was nice, and it was personal in that he knew I loved to read.  But it wasn't something that we needed to split up after the divorce, or something that went toward the household itself that we were dismantling.  And it wasn't something like clothing that we would like to see the other person in.  I believe I gave him a gift card to his favorite clothing place - he could be away from me and shop and not worry about whether what he was buying was to my liking.  It worked out very well.  I also gave him a Target gift card, which he didn't use until he moved out - to buy things for his new place.  And I gave him a framed pic of the kids - so that he'd have one to take with him to start off his new place.  That wasn't SAID, of course - just the framed pic.  Which he did wind up taking with.  Anyway, they weren't the personalized gifts of lovers.  But it still felt okay - like we were celebrating.  It worked.

We always used to drive around and look at the lights during the holiday season.  The kids still wanted to do that - and we did.  But I didn't like that much - the mood of togetherness was required for "OOOh - turn that way!".  But I went anyway - and decided to just let the kids and their dad decide on where to go and what looked enticing.  What did I care, anyway?  I was fine with him driving and them navigating.  It worked.

I also remember taking the kids to downtown Chicago to look at the Marshall Field's Christmas windows.  I took them myself - we did that, then went to the bookstore nearby, then got hot cocoa and churros, then headed back.  I told them Dad needed to work.  He didn't.  But he went along with it.  And I believe we did the opposite, too - he took them somewhere and I said I needed to go help my mom get ready for the holidays (cleaning, cooking).  So that was a lesson in how Christmas enjoyment doesn't need to be with everyone all the time - it can be the way you make it and still be fun.

Something I always encourage newly separated parents to do is to ask the kids for a Winter bucked list.  Then you can start planning what to do with them on visiting weekends.  It can be anything from "play board games" to "Go sledding" or "movie night".  Then, have them help plan it!  Or..... surprise them when they arrive.  I think planning with them goes a long way toward building excitement to be with the visiting parent again, and doing something that ensures fun.  It can be quite exciting.  Some of the things my kids have put on their list over the years have been the aforementioned, along with "carolling" (we just went house to house - just the 4 of us), building a snowman (which requires more opportunity than planning - but I made sure to have the "snowman kit" handy (plastic carrot nose, buttons, arms, scarf, hat).  I also made sure that they had good winter ware at their dad's house - because if I let them, they'd walk out wearing flip-flops and a freaking spring jacket in the middle of winter, because "We're just going to be inside".  Well,.... make it so that doesn't HAVE to be the case.  So they got boots sent over, along with waterproof gloves, hats, scarves, etc.  They may or may not have ever used them - I highly doubt they saw much action.  Their dad is more of a "mall" type of guy.  But regardless - they were prepared if an opportunity popped up over there.  They also had swimsuits and beach towels over there - for summer swimming or winter getaways.  Those did get used, I know.  New duffel bags for their weekends away, along with some books to take and keep there.  It's saying that it's okay to be there, and here's some stuff for you to enjoy the trip.

Create new traditions.  Look for ideas and then make them happen.  Look into volunteering opportunities - it helps to see how good you've really got it, and it does the heart good to help others.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 6, 2017 12:20 pm  #8

What fantastic ideas.  I am thinking of doing some work at the local hospital.  Thankful for my health and the fact that I am complaining about my first world problems with a full belly and a warm bed.

December 7, 2017 2:02 am  #9

Some great advice.   The wife did the cookie decorating thing that I suggested as I went off to play hockey.  Going to be tough to stay at the in laws.  We will see.  What I see is that life goes on and we all find our paths.  I could be wrong but it seems the women on here are hurt a lot more than the guys.   Just mean that the men coming out seem to be cheating more when still married?  Anyways I guess I am happy to not be alone and amazed at the stories on here.  You have been through a lot!  I have my health, my pride, my dignity and 2 beautiful kids.  A great family nearby and some great friends.  She can ruin her life.  Mine is, and will be great. Lady at the pool said I looked 25.  Not 39 like I am!!!!!

December 7, 2017 3:26 am  #10

um, I think the men are hurting bad too.  First and worst there's the hurt of love lost which hurts the same at any age but then there's the bruises, the oh god I've been henpecked by an industrial strength chicken over and over for nearly 40 years - it really hurt!  

It's appalling at any age to feel so duped. 

from what I've seen and read here I'm guessing there are more gay husbands out having casual sex than wives - but when it comes to affairs the lesbian wives are having them just as much as the husbands if not more.

at some point you will find you are seeing gays and lesbians in denial everywhere - oh I must be paranoid you think at first but eventually you realise you've just got your eye in - once bitten twice shy.  It stands you in good stead.  You learn a lot.  You will be a better person than you  might ever have been with no problems.  You really can look forward to a good future with confidence in yourself.

Last edited by lily (December 7, 2017 3:36 am)

Board footera