OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2017 7:59 pm  #1

Anxiety is back with a vengeance

I went on a cruise for thanksgiving, and i noticed that i didn’t think about my ex nearly as much, and my anxiety was just about gone the entire trip. As soon as i returned home the anxiety came back even stronger, and the ruminating thoughts of him are back. I feel like this roller coaster of emotions will never end. This Thursday will be 4 weeks NC and it makes me sick to my stomach to think that he is no longer in my life. I need to break the trauma bond and addiction to him. When will this all end? I’m at my breaking point. Not sure how much more my mental state can take.

November 27, 2017 8:29 pm  #2

Re: Anxiety is back with a vengeance

It’s still very early.  Give yourself more time.  It will lessen, slowly over time.  I am 8 months out, it’s not perfect but it’s light years ahead of where I was even a few months ago.  Now I’m not no contact but I was in very deep shock the first few months.  Keep moving forward, time will help.  You will get there.

November 27, 2017 8:29 pm  #3

RW, I hope that you are working with a therapist who can help you with coping suggestions. S/he will not be able to prescribe medication but because stress can affect your physical health you may want to talk with your family doctor too.

As long as you are being carefully monitored and promptly alert your doctor to any adverse effects medication can help you through this rough patch.

You got back just in time for the over-the-top festivity that passes for Christmas  It will soon pass and the new year is the time for new beginnings.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

November 27, 2017 8:53 pm  #4

I am on medicine for anxiety and depression. The first time i left i went to therapy (before finding evidence from Craigslist) and was diagnosed with PTSD. Unfortunately i can not afford to go back to therapy again. I’m trying to make healthier choices so i can heal. Some days it gets to be too much to handle. I’m trying to be patient with my emotions.

November 28, 2017 10:39 am  #5

I'm so sorry, RW.  That sounds awful.

Can you describe your anxiety a bit more?  Is it panic attacks?  Is it ruminating over good memories?  Is it being stuck in the loop of wondering what you did that made you unlovable to him?  Where is your greatest challenge?

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 28, 2017 11:04 am  #6

Kel

All of the above. I feel like I’m choking from a lump feeling in my throat. The meds have helped with that feeling tremendously. I’m stuck in the fight or flight mode constantly. Sick to my stomach. Constant thoughts. Miserable

I’ve decided to do a cleanse. No more numbing my feelings with alcohol. Time to face this all head on. I’m starting to work out...i think this will help everything overall. Trying to train my brain to not think of him and to focus on myself.

Part of me wishes i could just move away and have a fresh start.

Last edited by RW (November 28, 2017 11:06 am)

November 28, 2017 11:32 am  #7

RW, 

For the first few months the pain can seem overwhelming.  It does get better with time, but it's hard to see the progress.  It's a roller-coaster. lots of ups and downs and not very predictable. 

I found two things that helped me through the tough days. 
One thing that helped me was to compare how I was feeling on that day vs. where I was a week or month ago.  I couldn't see improvement on a day to day basis, but if I looked back a few weeks or a month to compare against that period I could find areas of improvement..  I was able to focus more at work, cried less often, etc..   Being able to identify improvement was proof that I was healing and making progress and that makes this less overwhelming and dismal. 
The second thing was just a simple understanding of things..  When I was having a particularly bad day or part of a day I would remind myself that it's a roller-coaster.  I knew that I was in a low point and that I would feel better later in the day or tomorrow simply because our emotions ebb and flow.  That meant I just had to hang on for a little while and things would start to feel a little better.  It helped get through the worst of times. 

I agree completely with your decision to cleanse.  Get healthy and quit the drinking and you'll feel better for sure.  It will make you feel better about yourself and that will help a ton. 

Keep moving forward..  you've got this!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 28, 2017 2:09 pm  #8

You are doing really well RW, I know it’s hard for you to see but that month NC is such a big gain for you, a foundation to rebuild, I know it doesn’t feel like that now but it definitely is.

The longer you are away from him and his games the more your brain will slowwwwwly start to refocus on you. And as cliche as it is, time is a big healer, but of course it takes time! No-one can say this will pass quickly, it won’t, you will hurt and struggle and ruminate for a long time, you just have to go through it. But as Phoenix says you will start to see progress at some point. I promise you you will come out happier and stronger and in control of your own life.

Alcohol cleanse sounds a very good idea, I did that for a while too and it helped, I’m much more in control now.

Don’t be afraid to just rest, when your day is done, rest, your mind and body are battered, you need to take it easy on yourself.

You’ll get there, I know you will.

November 28, 2017 2:50 pm  #9

My mind and body does feel battered. Tired all the time. Trying to be patient and heal.
Thank you all for the support and encouraging words! Xoxo

Last edited by RW (November 28, 2017 2:51 pm)

November 28, 2017 3:16 pm  #10

Your mind feels battered because it IS.  Your body feels battered because it is the vessel of your soul, which has also been battered.  This can zap the energy right out of you.

Take it easy - get plenty of rest, try to eat healthfully so you have the fuel to repair, and get the help you need for your mind.  I know you're already doing some of that.  I have an emotionally unwell son who took us through the ringer for the last several years he lived with us.  I.was.exhausted.  All the time - could never get enough sleep.  Felt like I was living with PTSD (I'm convinced that we all were).  It took a while after he moved for us to start laughing again.  For us to stop being in damage control mode and start planning for our future and not just missing the good parts of him.  I still have a much lower resistance to bullshit now - I've lived in it for so long that I can smell it a mile away.  And I have no time to waste on getting overly upset anymore - I've done enough of that for a lifetime.

It's a slow heal.  But don't rush it.  Just do what you need to, and one day, you'll turn around and see that you've come a good distance from where you were, without realizing you were making any headway at that time.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera