OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2016 7:47 am  #1

Sorrow and condolences

I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the atrocity and tragedy in Orlando, Florida this past weekend. Even while we members of the SSN community deal with our own personal issues stemming from homophobia in modern society, and the impact it has had on us by way of our spouses, I think it's worth a moment to realize that in many parts of the world, even here in the USA, the fear that gay and lesbian persons have about living openly, is still real and unfortunately, valid. Surely the tragedy and slaughter that took place this past weekend, so many lives cut down, so many families bereft of loved ones, straight and gay both, must bring home the awareness that we cannot assume that it is always safe for LGBT persons to live openly. It is sad but true nevertheless. I will not call a closeted gay person a coward ever again, after what we all witnessed this past weekend. We straight spouses, out of all straight society would, I hope, stand in solidarity with the victims of the Orlando atrocity.

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

June 15, 2016 11:07 am  #2

Re: Sorrow and condolences

I have nothing against gay people.  None of those people whether they be gay, straight, purple  deserved to die.  

I am , for better or worst, biased in that I'm finding my closeted gay associate  (lezex, GIDX)  that is/was married to a straight one of the most evil beings on the face of the earth..  The wickedness and evil I have been the recipient of  is something associated with satan or the devil himself.    If my ex didnt need my money and wouldnt get caught and go to jail I think I would have been murdered a long time ago.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 15, 2016 6:33 pm  #3

It does illustrate the very real danger some people face by coming out. In some countries it can still be a crime or a death sentence. That being said it does not justify the actions of the "in-denial" spouses who refuse to recognize the giant elephant in the room. You can be in the closet by yourself, locking someone else into one is not right. Orlando was a tragedy and sadly not the first, not likely to be the last one either. Even one victim is a tragedy.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 15, 2016 9:04 pm  #4

I really liked what SSN posted on their FB page, so I shared it on mine. I added this: There is often confusion about this, and I think it's best explained this way: as a straight spouse I am not a homophobe. What I do not condone is deceit and betrayal. I am the victim of a victim of homophobia.

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

June 16, 2016 12:05 am  #5

I think it's ironic that this was done by one of their own & had no doubt he was closeted from the beginning.

June 16, 2016 8:49 am  #6

Wait - what??  I missed the news last night.  Was the shooter also a GID???

Board footera