OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2017 4:43 pm  #1

New here Trying to process emotions and options

Hello everyone. I am new to the network. My wife actually forward this group on to me. She about 2 years ago came out and told me she identifies as Lesbian. This information surprised me and she had thought I already knew. I knew she had a few girlfriends in high school but I thought it was just her experimenting and not who she was. Let me say this I accept and love her no different then I have ever loved her with this information. We got married at 21 (her) and 23 (me). We had our first of 2 daughters a year or so later and then our 2nd daughter 3 years after that. I am currently working towards my ordination to be a pastor. I complete that journey in April. I do believe and understand the science behind the genes and accept that. I also don't have an issue with same sex marriage. Nor do I believe it is a sin if that is how God created them. Here is the issue we are entire marriage have had issues with intimacy & sex. Some of those are on me and some on her. In all of our discussions and looking at options I asked her if she still wanted to be married. She said if I was not getting ordained in the denomination I am apart of that she would however she doesn't fee like she would be accepted or I would lose my position if people found out. My physiologist recommended I evaluated all the things I look for in a spouse and she fits all of them. We have been married for 12 years and have been friends for 23 years. She is my best friend..my confidant...my partner...my love...my person...and my everything. I feel like I got hit by a ton of bricks. I am hurt...she won't let me touch her in anyway with out getting angry or confused (which for me is huge because touch is the main way i feel and show love and connection)....It feels like a giant wall is between the two of us and she says she doesn't feel safe around me. I have so much pain, heartache, rejection, and feeling of worthlessness right now. I don't want to lose my person and I am afraid that I will lose her because of all the anger I feel inside. We also own a house together and she doesn't work because she is going to school and dealing with some health issues. I am currently actively working on my own journey of healing all the past brokenness and pain I have and my own emotions. I am just beside myself and don't know what to do... Please help!!! 

November 10, 2017 6:17 pm  #2

Re: New here Trying to process emotions and options

Hi carpfam,

I will preface this by saying I am not a religious person but plenty here are so they will be along shortly I expect.

Basically you say my wife is lesbian, I found this out two years ago, she told me.  We were young when we got married and now have children.  She is my best friend and confidante.  I am fine with all of this.  I accept and love her no different.

She fits everything I look for in a spouse.

On the other side of the fence we hear you say she rejects my touch, we aren't having sex, there's a giant wall between us and she says she doesn't feel safe round me.  

And you say how you are feeling about it all - like you've been hit by a ton of bricks!   Angry rejected worthless in so much pain and heartache.  Does this sound like you are feeling fine to you?  No of course not, and we can all relate, having had the same feelings ourselves. 

She can't stop being a lesbian.  She can't help feeling she doesn't want your touch any more than you can help feeling angry and rejected.  It isn't right.  You're not rejecting her but she is rejecting you, and she knew why all along - tho to be fair she would not have known how much it was going to hurt you.  

My observation is that it gets more painful, not easier with time.

all the best. hope this helps, Lily

November 10, 2017 7:35 pm  #3

For her it not a matter of not wanting the touch she does it is a matter of sending signs of confusion for us.

November 10, 2017 8:23 pm  #4

yes I think I understand - she doesn't mind you touching her, she just doesn't want that to cause confusion as to you thinking that means she wants to get intimate with you - is that right?

November 10, 2017 8:28 pm  #5

Yes and that I take it as our marriage is fine. Which I know we are not and I am having a real hard time with it. I try to put a front up for her and the kids but inside I am just broken.

November 10, 2017 8:36 pm  #6

The pain is understandable but don't let yourself feel worthless. We all have worth. Part of yours is being a dad and in the role you shall soon take with your future parishioners. Perhaps the first question is do you both want to stay together and both make the accommodations that will be necessary to maintain a healthy relationship? It is not good if either of you feels trapped. There's much here to think about. I would seek some additional wisdom from trusted advisors, lots of reflection on what you both need to have a happy and joyful relationship and always some honest communication with your spouse.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 10, 2017 10:07 pm  #7

I am so sorry.  It hurts so much doesn't it.  wishing you all the best, look after yourself, like Daryl said, take some time to think things over - see if you can find some times to think when you are on your own.

November 10, 2017 11:36 pm  #8

Daryl let me say this I have a general low self worth. One of the things I constently feel is unloved or unworthy. For me I am just now learning that I am okay to love myself. I put and find my love in her which make this even harder. I want to stay married and I think she does too...and I know that if divorce is where we are headed I have to be okay with that too and I am beginning to get there. It feels good to just have a voice and be heard thank you for all the comments, understanding and support.

November 11, 2017 4:48 am  #9

I just want to say something about the way emotions work.  Having grown up with a difficult father, it was so easy for me to believe that my marital troubles stemmed from that, but I finally realised the feelings I was having were being caused by my present not my past.

I used to teach swimming.  One of the things you have to face is the people who had near drowning experiences and it stopped them from learning easily and finally they face up to you and you have to teach them to swim.  Who can learn anything when your muscles are tense - so my main aim was to get them to relax in the deep water.  I came to understand what was happening.  When the person finds themselves in deep water again it triggers their emotional history and they experience the fear they felt when they were drowning.  So I'd stay close and chat away and pretty soon they'd laugh at some silly joke and that was the start and I simply added good experiences on top and pretty soon the feelings associated with the near drowning were tempered with the good feelings and they could relax and get the swimming happening.

so I'd go back home to my very nice husband and be experiencing anxiety that didn't seem to fit with anything else but my past - my feelings over my father but finally I got to think why am I feeling them now and I realised it was and had been all along my husband that was the cause.  I wasn't reacting inappropriately because of past feelings, I was feeling them because I was in the same emotional cold water and it was reminding me.

November 11, 2017 6:39 am  #10

That's so true Lily, great post.

Board footera