OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2017 9:36 pm  #1

Goals

Hi Everyone -- I wanted to get some feedback from Sean, but anyone feel free to join if you have feedback: 

Sean, when you were in the closet and working toward marriage, what were your major goals? When choosing a spouse, did you want someone because you wanted kids? Did you want someone to understand you? Someone to make you feel straight (I guess)? I read a thread about how sometimes closet gay men choose women who come from broken families or alcoholics because they are good at keeping secrets. I found that so interesting, fascinating and helpful. 

My ex has jumped into a relationship with a younger girl who is first generation American. (Originally from Mexico) and he is so heavily involved in all family affairs... this includes many birthdays, fiestas, etc. It seems so odd to be that close, that soon. It makes me feel like its yet another cover up or, that I'm nuts and he just is very happy (not in the closet). 

I would really like to know your mindset during that time and what was the biggest objective. 

November 6, 2017 9:47 pm  #2

Re: Goals

Sorry all, I am new here and meant to reply this to the thread of Sean answering all questions as a former husband in the know. 

November 7, 2017 9:08 am  #3

Re: Goals

Hi workingthru, 

Sean keeps his responses and replies to a dedicated thread, so if you'd like his input, I would recommend copying and pasting your first post to the end of this thread:
http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=263

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera