OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2017 6:44 pm  #1

Scared of my Future with my Transgender Spouse

I've debated a long time about posting stuff online about this, but I really feel like I could use some support. My depression is beginning to get out of hand because of everything I'm going through and I feel like I'm losing myself...

It all started almost two years ago- my spouse decided he wanted to buy a bra. But, he wanted it because he was self conscious of his chest, and he wanted to "flatten" himself so he wouldn't feel so self conscious. Little did I know, it was the start of him trying to deal with what he was going through. Fast forward to almost a year ago now, "he" decided to come out as "she" to me. Loving my spouse dearly, I chose to accept it and try and deal with what I was being told. To make a long story short, over the past 9-10 months, I have dealt with having my family reject me, losing my closest friends, feeling isolated and alone, and having my depression/anxiety come back in full swing. I have dealt with the lack of intimacy, the feelings of inadequacy, and fear of my future, the thought of possibly never having kids, and wondering if I even should HAVE kids because how can I raise them in an environment that I'm no longer 100% sure I can handle anymore? I thought I could deal with all the changes. I thought my love for my spouse was stronger than the fear I feel of rejection from my family (which has already happened), or the fear of not having kids like I so desperately want to. But as the time goes on... the more I wonder if I'm truly prepared for this. 
I consider myself a very spiritual person. Since this has come about, I feel I have shoved my faith aside in an effort to try and come to terms with this new life, believing I can just pick church and my Bible back up like nothing has changed. But now that I am trying to get back into my spiritual life, I feel confused, and scared, because I want my husband back. I want things back to normal. I want a husband, and I want my children to have a "daddy". I don't want to explain to my children that yes, we are your biological parents, BUT we are both your mommies. Maybe, maybe it's not that big of a deal you say. But... it is, for me. Especially because I have such strong faith, and I want to raise my kids in my faith. I really...really feel lost. And I've tried to talk to my spouse, but the conversation never goes the way I want it to, and I always end up in tears and having to apologize because my spouse feels as though I do not support her. 
I also struggle with pronouns and viewing my spouse as a different gender than the one I married... I try my best to be respectful and say the proper terms, but sometimes I get exhausted and just want to say "he." Sometimes I just want to say "my husband." 
I also struggle with being considered a lesbian... I consider myself a straight individual, and thus it bothers me a bit when we're out in public and I have to be careful with who I tell that we are married, because people act weird with homosexual couples sometimes. And I feel I haven't come to terms with myself being viewed as a lesbian...
I feel like a terrible person, because I struggle so much. It's not easy, turning my life upside down for someone, and changing almost every aspect of my life for this person, because I love them so much. How do I deal with all of these feelings, this confusion about who I am, and what my future is going to be like? I truly am scared, and I'm scared about who I am becoming and whether it is really me or not. 

*Side note, I am seeing a counselor about these issues and my depression. One thing though, is that my counselor is clearly transgender/homosexual friendly, which is great, but I'm afraid to tell her about some of what I feel because I don't want her to look down on me, or tell me I'm wrong for feeling some of these feelings. Not that I think she really would, but these are my irrational fears...

Anyway, I'm sure I left a lot out, but here it is. Hopefully someone has some support or advice for me, I could really use it...

November 4, 2017 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Scared of my Future with my Transgender Spouse

Hi Omarieb,
Welcome, you came to the right place.   I’m so sorry you are going through this.  I don’t think you should feel any guilt about your feelings.  It’s only natural to want to be married to the husband you made your vows to.  While your loyalty and love are admirable, your spouse has fundamentally changed the entire foundation of your marriage.  You are not a lesbian.  Expecting you to live as one is in my opinion, not fair or realistic.
There is nothing wrong with wanting a man to father your children and raise them with. 
As far as friends and family members abandoning you, that is awful, I can only assume they do not understand the situation and how difficult it is for you.  Living withi such conflict must be so difficult and you are naturally depressed.   
I think you need your own therapist separate from your spouse.  You need someone to be there for YOU.  This is such a tough road to walk, you shouldn’t be alone.  Reach out to people to help you.  Keep posting here there are many in your situation who can help.
You have nothing to be sorry for or guilty about.  You deserve the husband and family you want.  It’s not selfish to be hurt and confused by this situation.  Your needs are just as important as your spouses.

Last edited by majenco (November 4, 2017 7:21 pm)

November 5, 2017 12:32 am  #3

There are a few other ladies here who are dealing with a trans-spouse so I expect you will hear from some kindred spirits. As majenco said it's admirable to try to make it work but I think you are allowed to decide that it's not for you. Being under the constant stress of saying the right things to 'her' and to others is not healthy. You said your spouse sometimes feels you do not support 'her'. Do they show any compassion or understanding about how they have turned your life inside out and upside down?

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 5, 2017 6:14 am  #4

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (October 6, 2019 4:56 am)

November 5, 2017 8:38 am  #5

omarieb,
  Two years is a long time to live in this nightmare, and you are showing the signs of that stress.  My husband disclosed his belief he was transgender two and a half years ago, so i have walked in your shoes, wanting to support him, wanting our marriage to survive, wondering what my future might be--and, like you, eventually realizing that I was being beaten down by the whole sorry mess.  Realizing that is the first step in a process of reclaiming yourself. 
That you are isolated by the situation and have lost the support of your family makes your situation worse, because without an outside perspective one is left inside the circle of crazy that is your husband's play-acting of woman and his self-serving utter lack of empathy for what he is asking of you. 

To be told your husband is no longer a man but a woman, and you are now married to a woman has the effect of pulling the foundation out from underneath you.  It's an assault on the deepest foundations of your sense of yourself.  It makes you question your past together, your marriage, your sexuality, and your femininity.  It has put you at odds with your faith. 

Yet still you hang in there, wanting to be the supportive wife, fighting your own discomfort, deep-sixing your own hopes for the future, trying to remake yourself in the image he has presented you with and told you he expects you to adopt.  No wonder you're feeling as if you're "losing yourself."  You are.  You are dealing with both self- and other-imposed demands that your deepest self is rebelling against, and the result is that you are depressed.  

In no way should you feel like "a terrible person" because you "struggle so much."  That struggle is your core sense of self trying to tell you that what you are living in is beating you down and extinguishing your spark of joy in life.  You say you love your husband, but what is it that you love?  The male "wife" you have or the husband you married?  The man you expected to have children with and grow old with, or this new being who is not a partner but a dictator telling you that what is expected of you is for you to totally remake who you are?  Can you honestly say, in the face of that reality, that he loves you for who you are?  

I'm with Duped: you need a counselor who has YOUR interests at heart and will help you sort out what YOU want, not someone who is "trans friendly" and believes her job is to help you learn to cut yourself into a new shape to accommodate someone else's idea of who you should become.  The advice I've seen is to find someone who does not advertise they are prepared to counsel for "gender issues."  That you can't even be honest with your own therapist because you're afraid of being judged is a huge red flag to me that you aren't going to get the help you need with this therapist; you need to feel you don't have to hold back in therapy.  There's no law that says you must stay with any particular therapist.  You need to find one that you feel comfortable with and supported by.  

You're not a terrible person.  You're a heterosexual woman who married a heterosexual man who later changed the terms of the marriage and has the selfish entitlement to expect you to clap your hands about htat and support him uncritically, to compromise and remake yourself, while he goes full speed ahead.   He has the right to remake himself; he has no right to expect you to remake yourself.  A man who loved you and who was as committed to you as you have been to him would never even ask that.  You're not a terrible person; you're a woman who is learning that love doesn't conquer all, and that you have a choice to make and the right to make it in ways that give you YOUR best chance for happiness.  

Just as he has the right to remake himself, you have the right to define who you are and what you want--and from what I see, spending the rest of your life with a transwoman is not what you want.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 5, 2017 8:47 am)

Board footera