OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 9:35 am  #1

My wifes sexuality is in question

Well here it goes, never thought I would be in this position but I am sure most here felt that way as well and I apologize if this is an incoherent mess. Things have been pretty up and down. 

​It has been 3 weeks since I found out my wife was having an affair with another married woman and now she feels that she may be gay. I am trying to give her time and space to come to terms with what she has going on but her and this other woman ( who is 20 years older than her wife - 32 lover - 52 ) are " in love " and want to run off together. We tried all the usual stuff in the beginning, all 4 spouses conference called and we all agreed that the two women would cut contact and soul search but that lasted all of two days with them being sneaky and calling each other from pay phones and now they are pretty much back to seeing and contacting each other on a daily basis. 

​Both myself and the other husband are still pretty committed to trying to make something work, but I simply don't know how much longer I can go on in a state of limbo and she says if I make her choose right now our marriage is over as she sits there and tells me she still loves me though.  But when I bring up divorce and us moving on with our lives she balks at the idea and doesn't want me to make any rash decisions. 

​Our history together was always pretty great, we have been together since high school, leaving where we grew up to start our own life together 12 years ago packing all of our stuff up and moving half way across the country together.  Always being best friends and lovers. There was never a question in my mind that we were supposed to be together and were " soul mates ". She would even brag about our relationship to her friends and we had her " dream " wedding in Charleston, South Carolina and shortly after having our two kids.  Two months ago even we picked out where we were to retire together after a family vacation where we sat in a car for multiple hours, in traffic pretty much professing our love for one another.  From the outside looking in according to friends and family who know about our current situation we were the family every one strove to be. 

​Now  I just can't seem to get over where all that disappeared after only being in a relationship with another woman for only two months.

Things have started to surface though from her past, things that she has never brought up to me through out our relationship. She has admitted that she has been attracted to other women pretty much her entire life and she is kind  of coming to terms with the fact that she might be gay or bisexual. She is seeking counseling alone and has no interest at the moment of seeking couples counseling and moving forwards at the moment in either direction. 

​I have told her I couldn't continue down this path so here is our plan for now - 

​- Her and the other woman will continue to see each other but only as friends and they wont spend nearly as much time together as they were ( they pretty much spent almost every waking moment together when they weren't working ). Their lives are pretty interwoven through their hobbies, one being tennis, that's how they met. 

- I am going to work on obtaining a job. I pretty much committed career suicide 4 years ago when we had kids leaving my employment to stay home and take care of them. Clearing out my retirement funds and everything. Her always being the bread winner she told me not to worry about all that though, I have her.  

- We are going to look into selling our house. We moved to Texas 2 years ago for better financial reasons and to raise our family and it kills me to say that we have to even look into selling the home we were going to raise our kids in. 

- If she has no answers by January 1st we will put the house on the market and sell. After that we will legally separate but not legally divorce, me being the primary care taker of the children. I hate to kind of put a timeline on her " soul searching " but I unfortunately can't live in this situation forever. 

​I guess those are my scatter brained thoughts and if anyone has any words of wisdom I would appreciate it. 

November 1, 2017 10:05 am  #2

Re: My wifes sexuality is in question

Welcome Codiet, 

I'm sorry you are facing such an awful experience.  I can relate.. My ex fell in love with a married female co--worker and had an affair and they both divorced their husbands so they could be together.  I have felt your pain.. every ounce of it.   I thought I had that great marriage as well.. 16 years.  We were best friends, never fought, were great parents, it was good..  except there wasn't much intimacy.. but I buried my head in the ground and pretended that wasn't so important.  I feared she was a lesbian, but chose to ignore it because I didn't like the idea of what that might lead to in the future.  Until it happened. 

Let me share an opinion with you..  Your wife's sexuality is not in question.  She knows that she has a same-sex attraction and always has.  You even said so in your post.  However, she chosen to hide it from you and the world and has been hiding it since her early teen years.  She didn't want to be a lesbian.. she wanted to be "normal".  She probably has conservative family and roots and has always feared being rejected and judged for her SSA.  To be fair, it's a legit concern.. our society is improving, but we are definitely not kind and fair and equal.   She made the best of her efforts to be straight for as long as she could, but that changed when she finally found a person to pull her out of the closet.  In this case a co-worker..   So she had an affair and is now enjoying the expression of her true sexuality.  It's not in question.. she knows full well that she is a lesbian.   The question is.. does she want to come out openly and let the world know.  Or, does she want to keep her family and social order intact.  Some people are able to deny their sexual urges and remain in hetero marriage.  Most cannot. 

Looking back on my experience, what hurts most is that she was never honest with me.  If she had come out to me and told me that she tried her best to be straight and love me, but couldn't anymore.. BEFORE having an affair, I would have been much less hurt.  Instead, like your wife, mine had that affair.. she committed the ultimate act of betrayal.. giving herself intimately to another person, trying to lie about it, continuing to lie about it after I told her she couldn't keep having that affair.  Ugh.. it was awful.    That's what is happening to you as well.   I feel for you my friend.

What do you want?   Based on your post it sounds like you've given her all the power and decisions in the relationship.  Don't you get a say in this?   Most of us guys want to keep our marriage and will try everything to do so.  I was the same way.. I waited for her to decide to stay or leave... and waiting was HELL.  I just want you to know that you get to have power here as well.  If you chose to try to save your marriage you can do that, but you need to set some pretty clear boundaries.  If you chose divorce, you can make that call.. it doesn't get to be her decision only. 

I would start researching divorce law in your state.  Alimony and child support laws don't only apply to women.  You have been the stay-at-home dad.. you might be able to continue that way with her paying to support you and the kids.  

Anyway.. welcome to the forum.  Please feel free to share as much as you like as often as you like.  The act of sharing is very good for you.  

You can find a face-to-face straight spouse network in most major cities.  Meeting real people you can talk to is a huge help. 
http://www.straightspouse.org/test/face2face-support-groups/

Let us know how we can help. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 1, 2017 10:38 am  #3

Thanks for the reply. 

​You know the funny things is is that our sex life was never bad. Up to this point we were doing so at least 2-3 times a week, mostly initiated by me but I always felt that was the way things worked in marriage. 

​I will admit that I kind of know which way this is going to go, she is either going to A) Stay in our relationship for security purposes and ease ( not necessarily for me ) or B) She is going to leave, which at the moment I feel is the most likely thing to occur.

​It just kind of sucks that for 12 years I have put her happiness first with just about every aspect of my life, being a supportive and good husband along the way from what I thought and this is the kind of the repayment I get when I could have been investing that time in someone I actually had a future with. I told her how I felt about the fact that she had an affair and it doesn't necessarily make it any different that she is fighting with her sexuality, it hurts just the same. Not tooting my own horn but I had my fair share of chances and I kept my clothes on because I was married and that it was the ultimate disrespect to me and our family. She even got a tattoo to commemorate this woman, something I didn't really realize at the time because she always wanted one but to know the true meaning might as well be a knife in my back. 

​I do know that her sexuality is something that she cannot choose and is just who she is, but I to feel like the last 12 years of my life was a complete lie. 

​More than anything I want my marriage to maintain intact but at the moment I don't see any way that it can possibly maintain and honestly why would I stay with someone that only wants to stay with me for convenience purposes ? 

​It is all much easier said then done though and I am going to be meeting with an attorney in a few days ( which when I tell her I am going to do that she gets super uncomfortable ) and see what my rights are. 

November 1, 2017 11:00 am  #4

Good for you Codiet for putting a time limit on her nonsense!  I wish I had done that in the beginning of my journey.  Granted, it was 10 years ago but I could have been free and moved on with my life about three years sooner had I not waited and waited for him to "change".  I gave too many chances and too many do-overs. 

You sound like you're well grounded and you realize exactly what you need to do going forward.  Meeting with the attorney is a good step forward.  Don't get stuck in a place you don't want to live.  If you want to return to your home, make sure that is spelled out in the divorce decree that you're allowed to do so and that you're allowed to take the kids there.  And definitely ask for support if she led you to believe that you could quit your job because you'd be together forever.  These people never cease to amaze me. 

She's definitely sneaky.  Don't buy for one minute that they are going to hang out as friends.  Unless someone is chaperoning them, they are most definitely up to no good.  You can't just turn off sexual feelings.  And you're right, the tattoo is a complete slap in the face. 

You're young.  And while it may not seem like it now, you have a full, happy life ahead of you.  Let this pass, regroup, and start over.  It can be done and you can be happy. 

November 1, 2017 12:35 pm  #5

Hi Codie,

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'd have to encourage you to look at this as if your wife were cheating with another man. I mean, if she'd cheated with another MAN, would you be letting them spend time together "just as friends"?  I highly doubt it.  No, you cannot (and even she cannot) control which sex she's attracted to.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean she should expect or you should give her carte blanche to spend time with the person she's been cheating on you with.  If she's serious about staying married to you, then she'll cut out any distractions.  If she's more committed to being with this other person no matter what, then you know which relationship is more important to her.  And I think both she and the other woman both showed their true colors when they couldn't even go for 2 days without sneaking contact.  That's a pretty loud and clear message.

You don't have to make any rash decisions.  But it's okay to tell her that she's already in a committed relationship, and that's she is NOT free to pursue others while still in one with you.  That's marriage.  Take it or leave it.

Know that she may leave, then come back the first moment this thing fizzles out.  And then she may remain committed for a while, saying that she's gotten it "out of her system".  And then round two will happen - either with the same person, or a different one.  Then she's got one foot back out the door again.  If she feels that she can't / doesn't want to be committed to you and your marriage, then let her go.  It's torture the other way.  But don't let her just "explore" - that's code for "cheating with my spouse's permission, because they're afraid that if they don't let me do that, I'll leave."

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 1, 2017 12:52 pm  #6

I definitely under stand your points Kel and I am probably stupid for trusting anything that she says after the way she deceived me to begin with. I found out about the affair the hard way through undeleted text messages. 

​I guess when you feel like you knew someone or feel like you truly love someone you hold out hope for whatever reason. 

​I am actually quite open minded and even told her if all 4 of us agreed for the ladies to " experiment " with there new found sexuality, I would be open to them doing so. Not implying that we would suddenly turn into swingers or anything but I do want her to be happy, but at the same time I need and should be worrying about my own happiness. 

​But yes, she seems more so committed to that relationship than ours although we are the married couple, but at the same time the moment I bring up the fact that I feel like the only way we move forwards from this is divorce she gets all antsy and tells me not to make any rash decisions and gets all upset that she is " ripping our family apart ".

​Personally I think she is waiting for her lover to leave her husband after the holidays. I am not totally convinced she is going to do so though because she has been the manipulator in the relationship between them two from what I have seen and  read in all the undeleted messages, even bragging to my wife how her " Andy ( her husband ) is sleeping on her shoulder " as they sexted.  

​I do know that it takes two to tango, but she is definitely very deceitful and has my wife kind of on an emotional string, always pulling her back in whenever my wife tries to break away.  Through out the process the other woman was the one who would always reinitiate contact, although my wife was always the one who picked up the phone or responded to the messages herself as well.

​I don't know, I guess for whatever reason you still hold out hope and hope that the person you loved would come back to you in some form but I do realize the relationship we had is dead. 

November 1, 2017 1:30 pm  #7

It takes time for your feelings toward your spouse to change.  

We are programmed to love them fully.  We want to trust them.  We think the best of them and hope they will return to that form.  We are forgiving and optimistic.   This is how it should be when you marry someone.   Love doesn't die and end overnight.  It takes time, even when they hurt us, our love still doesn't extinguish overnight.  It's a deep and complicated emotion and ties into the fabric of our being.  

I remember just wanting my ex to come to her senses and come back to me.  At that stage I was still in love with her.  I was willing to try to forgive.  I just wanted to her love me like I thought she always had.  But after a while my love died out and I saw things for the way they truly were.  

My point is this:  The feelings you have are normal.  Your love is still there, injured perhaps, but you are still in love.  With love comes optimism and hope and the desire to trust.  So don't beat yourself up for having these conflicting emotions.  It's normal and natural.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 1, 2017 1:41 pm  #8

I totally get where you're coming from Codie - most of us want to feel that we've given our marriage our best shot for an adequate length of time before we concede.  I also understand the desire to believe someone whom you've believed all and thought you knew well up until now.  You know they can be that person, so you're waiting for their return.  But she might not be that person anymore, buddy.  It's possible that she just might have ever been the person you thought she was, from the new admissions of her having been attracted to women before.  It's up to you to decide how much trust you give her, and how much free reign.  But I'd suggest that now is the time to start making those decisions with your head rather than your heart/gut.  You were trusting your heart and gut before, and it didn't notice what was going on behind your back.  Which either means your heart/gut is off, or she's that good at this.  Neither makes a good case for you to continue using the heart/gut that you've been using for years now.  It's just not a smart decision - it's not advice you'd give a friend or a young adult in your family, is it?

I hear you making excuses about her behavior - her lover is manipulative, and she's falling for it.  And I do see what you're saying - that she's not the one initiating the contact, or guilting the other woman.  At the risk of sounding completely callous,.... SO?  No one held a gun to her head to do these things - to cheat, to sneak around, to betray you and deceive you and give away what was rightfully yours and ONLY yours.  She owes this woman nothing compared to what she owes you (as her spouse) - and she might not be the chaser, she's LETTING herself be caught by this person.  Trust me when I say that women are masters of keeping away from someone they're not interested in.  If she's with this other person, it's because she WANTS to be.  It's easier to see our spouse as the weak one who is being manipulated than it is to see them as someone willingly cheating on us.  YOU and the other woman's husband are the victims here.  Don't make her the victim, too - in doing so, you begin to feel sorry for her and soften your boundary lines.  And that's not good for you.  I know you want to be good to her, too.  But SHE's been taking care of her just fine - doing exactly what she wanted.  Time to start being your own advocate now - because she's certainly not going to do it for you.  If you don't stand up for yourself now, then NO ONE will be standing up for you.

You are certainly more than entitled to make whatever decisions work for you and your marriage.  But I would caution you against thinking that letting her "explore" isn't dangerous.  Many a man here will tell you that they gave into that too, and when their wives left them emotionally for the other woman, they felt just as betrayed in the end as if she'd done it with another man.  They didn't anticipate that, but that's what they were left holding, in the end.  You need to be aware of that going in.  Because when you don't have their heart any longer - and their time, their dedication, their excitement for your relationship - and instead that all is given to someone else, it doesn't matter if they gave it to another woman, another man, or a circus monkey - it will still be lonely where you are when you stand there alone.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 2, 2017 7:09 am  #9

Hey Codie
Sorry to hear about your situation. Mine is similar to yours but the other woman is a lesbian who is in a terrible marriage. My wife met her on a medical deployment.  My wife has had historical troubles keeping female friends as she would in my opinion emotionally smother people with her anxiety about things and more often than not the other women backed away. This new woman is a serial philanderer which my wife knows about yet she insists they have a connection. I applaud your timeframe approach.  Just being friends will not work in the long run. I set these boundaries for my wife after she attempted to have an open relationship. They can't stop communicating. I think my wife is now just realizing it will never last to have a romantic relationship with both of us and what that really means.  In the end it is just selfish childish behaviors.  I too put her needs before mine and now I am feeling a little stronger especially since joining this group only about a week ago.

November 2, 2017 7:38 am  #10

It is quite a poor situation, the worst part being that I have barely had three weeks to process all of this but at the same time she wants me to just walk around and act like nothing happened and " coexist " until she fully decides what she wants. 

​Neither woman, from what I was told at least has had any experience with other women. But my wife has told me that she has had feeling for other women in the past and I kind of see now that she has always had intense friendship relationships with other women. 

​They to as well have a hard time breaking communication. When this originally came out they were supposed to not speak for a month as they tried to get there heads about them and they ended up contacting each other Via pay phones, etc. my wife picking up a pay phone in the Houston airport to contact the other woman ( I didn't even know pay phones still existed ) and she was physically withdrawing from this woman. Saying she was up at night uncontrollably crying, cold and shaking. How does that even happen ?

I look at her now and say to her that I don't even know who you are anymore, you don't even look the same to me anymore. How she just abandoned all of us for this other woman pretty much at the drop of a hat. She burned all of her work leave, left her phone places because we have location services turned on for one another and was picked up by the other woman and  she wasn't even there to pick up my son on his first day of kindergarten because she was with this other woman to which my son said to me that day " I wish mama was here " and I never told her that because I thought they were just friends at the time and didn't want her to feel bad. 

​I am trying to stick to my game plan right now, although it is extremely difficult. My love language is most definitely touch and that was something I loved about us, we would always reach out to each other or sleep up against each other and now she is basically falling off the bed to stay away from me. So I think I am going to ask her to sleep in the spare bedroom from here on out, unless she wants to try and recommit to our marriage. 

​For whatever reason I am holding out a small bit of hope, it is most definitely difficult to just forget about your past together and the future that you thought you had planned but I am coming to terms a little bit that that future is gone and will start taking the necessary steps towards protecting myself and kids from further harm from her actions. 

Board footera