OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2017 8:11 pm  #1

Moving Forward: How pain heals over time

The pain of this experience is crippling.  For most of us, finding out our spouse is gay leads to incredible stress, hurt, betrayal and overwhelming pain.  In the first days and weeks we are so overcome by this pain that we don't think we will ever get over it.  But eventually we begin to heal.  The timing is different for everyone, but for all of us, the pain does lessen and change over time. 

How has the pain changed as time has gone by for you?  What did you learn to recognize along the way?  What tips would you give those who are in the first days or weeks of this saga?

Through my own experience I learned that I couldn't measure my pain or my healing directly.  It wasn't like going to Dr and having them ask you to rate it on a scale of 1-10.  It was always a 12.  But, what I could measure was how I was doing in comparison to a prior day, week, or month.  I couldn't say I was over the pain or doing fine.. but I could remember vividly that I was worse before.  I could estimate how frequently I was overcome by tears then vs. now.  I could see that I was more productive in my work or household than I had been before.  I could tell that I was starting to find a few glimmers of hope for the future vs. the constant pallor of depression.  

I couldn't say I wasn't hurting.  I could say that I was doing better than before. 

That would be my advice for those in the midst of this pain.  If you can measure where you are today vs. where you were before you can see a trend of improvement.  Noticeable improvement can be forecast forward and can be something to be optimistic about.  If you keep getting better you will eventually be happy again.  

You too can move forward!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 24, 2017 10:00 pm  #2

Re: Moving Forward: How pain heals over time

I am 7 months in.  I definitely feel better than I did back then but I still feel depressed and broken.  I have started anti depressants.  I do ok at work and when I engage in small groups socially but only for short periods of time.  I asked my husband to move out for two months so I can have time to think.  The separation has been difficult but having him home was also hard for me. 
In the very beginning I was in complete shock, couldn’t eat or sleep.  Thankfully that subsided.  I think I now sleep too much but at least I can get some rest. 
I know I have a long way to go but I am inching forward a little at a time. 
It helps to hear that things will get better.  The last 7 months seem like an eternity.  When my husband returns from this separation period it will be right before our 10th anniversary.  I can’t even imagine how that is going to effect me. 
I have been working hard in therapy and I hope that I will continue to feel stronger.  There are so many decisions to be made and I need all my wits about me to decide what I am going to salvage from the wreckage here.

October 24, 2017 10:42 pm  #3

The pain of it is unbearable.I can't see a time when it won't hurt this much

Kel wrote:

It will get to the place you think it will never get to.  The shitty part is when you're in hell, the only way out is to keep walking through more hell.  Kel

Just read your post Kel

Last edited by Ellexoh (October 25, 2017 1:15 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

October 25, 2017 12:08 am  #4

For myself, things change once you reach an acceptance stage - you didn't make this happen and there was nothing you could have done to prevent it either. You might still be sad at this point but you've stopped beating yourself up and analyzing it to death. Beyond that, I agree with phoenix. You can't measure it in days, maybe not even weeks, one day you just notice that the roller-coaster isn't as steep or fast as it was.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 25, 2017 10:32 am  #5

It's like a death in many ways.  You feel like a day will never go by that you don't mourn about what's happened.  But it will.  I rarely every think of my ex now, or what I went through.  And when I do, it doesn't bother me anymore - it's a scar now, not an active wound any longer.  And just like any scar, I can describe where it came from without feeling any of the pain associated with the experience that gave it to me.

Death sometimes softens how we see the dead person's qualities.  We tend to reminisce about things that used to annoy us about them.  But this isn't like that - this is the opposite.  I can rarely remember something good from my time with my ex because it's all tainted now with the knowledge that he was lying to me then.  I see every one of his good traits through that lens.  If he's great to the kids and takes them and buys them some clothes, I automatically think, "He's trying to look like the nice guy".  Because he's a professional about how to hide his true personality.  But I try to auto-correct when those thoughts cross my mind now.  "It doesn't matter WHY he bought them clothes - they needed some, they're happy with the new items, and it's something crossed off my list."

It will get to the place you think it will never get to.  The shitty part is when you're in hell, the only way out is to keep walking through more hell.  The only advice I can give is to treat yourself the way you'd advise your best friend to treat themselves in the same situation.  You'd tell them to give themselves a break when it comes to feeling shame over what happened.  That it wasn't their fault.  You'd try to get them back out there so that they can enjoy things that make them happy.  You'd tell them all about how wonderful they are, and how strong they are, and that they can make this.  And you hold their hand while they walk.  Find someone to hold your hand if you can.  A good friend, a trusted relative, etc.  This is NOT your entire life - this is a chapter - or a few.  It's not the new title of the book.  The book is still about you.  And there are other chapters yet to be written.  Even a happy ending, if you believe that and open yourself to embracing a different reality than you originally intended.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 25, 2017 9:56 pm  #6

After 17 years together, my fiancé told me he was gay. This was almost a year ago. It still hurts, I feel broken. Shattered. Still. I have no self esteem. I feel stupid and unworthy. He wanted an open relationship,  that would not work for me. I am trying to be there for him, but it is difficult because I am still in love with him. It hurts when I think of him seeing other people. I have many gay friends, but it is hard to now consider him one of my “gay friends”. He doesn’t understand why I am having trouble staying friends. Do I need to disconnect with him in order to heal?

October 26, 2017 2:55 pm  #7

Chris wrote:

After 17 years together, my fiancé told me he was gay. This was almost a year ago. It still hurts, I feel broken. Shattered. Still. I have no self esteem. I feel stupid and unworthy. He wanted an open relationship, that would not work for me. I am trying to be there for him, but it is difficult because I am still in love with him. It hurts when I think of him seeing other people. I have many gay friends, but it is hard to now consider him one of my “gay friends”. He doesn’t understand why I am having trouble staying friends. Do I need to disconnect with him in order to heal?

Hi Chris - please let me direct your attention to this post by Kel, I think it might be relevant to you - http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=10474#p10474

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 26, 2017 3:59 pm  #8

Chris, you talk of being there for him...why? Why should he get the best bits of you now?...after he lied and took your love under pretence? You offered him love, commitment, loyalty and support for years. Now why should he get those perks even as a friend? Especially as it is hurting you to think of him as a friend. Do yourself a massive favour and see him as a lying shit and tell him your friendship is reserved for people who don't mess with your life and your sanity. It angers me so much that they play on the hurt spouses emotions to take, take, take. You put yourself first and detach, force yourself to, you need to reclaim your life and you have no hope if you are betraying you own soul to serve his needs. Make no mistake if his needs really revolved around you he'd still be by your side. Please, get some distance and care for yourself.

I'm sorry to be blunt but we've all been there, used, used and used again. Stop for your own sake.

October 26, 2017 4:36 pm  #9

HI Chris,

Detachment really is the only way to go.  I think that's true for any romantic relationship that's ending.  But it's even moreso for a romantic relationship where the other person has treated you poorly.  It's sending the message that they're more important than you are.  And it's not THEM getting that message that's a big deal - it's you reinforcing that message to your own soul.  When you can say, "I won't tolerate being treated poorly and seeing the other person as a friend.", then you can get somewhere.  Not only will you begin to feel better about who you are and what you're worth, but you're also deciding to follow some standards vs. just bobbing along after your feelings.  So many times I think we're just bobbing along in the ocean, expecting to eventually flop back onto the shore eventually.  It would be SO much quicker if we just looked for land and swam in that direction.  And that's what deciding to go no contact is doing.  It's deciding to work a plan vs. waiting for a plan to break out spontaneously.

You can tell him you're going no-contact, if you like.  But if you do that, it's not up for discussion.  You're not having a conversation about having no further conversations.  You're stating what's going to happen.  So if you tell him, it might be easiest in a text or email, and it should be short and sweet.  "I've decided that I need to do this on my own.  I've also decided to go no contact.  I wish you the best."  Boom - done.  He can write you back all he wants, but you're declared your intentions and it should be like he's writing to a brick wall - he'll get no response.  If his response is anything but "I wish you the best", then he's maintaining contact for selfish reasons.  If he truly loves you, he'll set you free so that you can find health, healing and happiness.  Because he knows he can't offer that to you.

It's not easy, but it gets easier every day with no contact.  And it doesn't take long before you feel like you can make all your decisions about you - which is how it should be when you're single.  You can decide to sell all your posessions and sail the world without any guilt or grief because you answer to only you.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 30, 2017 10:41 am  #10

Some days I feel better and stronger than other days. Perhaps I have accepted the reality of it all or maybe it is a protection mechanism. I have never been great at letting myself have emotions and express them openly. I have definitely felt sad, angry, confused and irritated more in the past year than I have been in a long time. I notice I feel better after we have talks and I express my sadness about things falling apart and how all of this has made me less desired and special to her.  Other days though  I just think I need to look out for the kids, and hopefully there is someone else out there for me.  I really think I am worried and scared about loneliness and starting over and trusting anyone again.  I also admit I HATE when this other woman my wife is "close friends" with contacts her.  I just want to tell her to focus on her own messed up marriage to a woman and leave our family alone.  Unrealistic and unproductive I know but these are the raw feelings.   

Board footera