OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2017 1:38 pm  #1

His s(he) closet is not my problem anymore

I am so tired of the social expectation that I have a huge responsibility of protecting his CD trans privacy after 3 decades of him lying to me!  OK, so I can't OUT him - aka "her", but what about me???  I'm thinking I can say if asked why I left, I left because I'm straight. I can OUT myself as straight. Ugh, sigh. Being so politically correct nowadays is driving me nuts. When did it become politically incorrect to say I'm straight? And if the CD trans stuff seems perverted to me, why is my feeling about it not OK by today's social courtesies? By the way, the straw that broke this camel's back was when s(he) came to bed in a woman's nightie and tried to wake me up from sleep - for sex - by kissing me on the mouth last week. I had told him NO lesbian type sex for me when (s)he came out to me in May.  I refused to play that game. Of course, there is much more to the story, but it sums up that s(he) refused to respect my straight-ness. I packed up my stuff, called some friends and am figuring out how to go solo. Sorry for rambling.  This forum is the only place I feel safe to have a heterosexual self affirming opinion. Once I can emotionally calm down about my little corner of the world falling apart, I hope to be able to make more eloquent posts. Has anyone else had their CD spouse try to force themselves "in drag" on you while you slept, when they know this is against your will?

Last edited by pea hen (October 19, 2017 1:42 pm)

October 19, 2017 1:56 pm  #2

Re: His s(he) closet is not my problem anymore

Maybe you can say "He's no longer the man I married." but I see nothing wrong with telling close friends and family the entire truth.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 20, 2017 9:51 am  #3

F*ck political correctness.  This isn't about you not accepting someone on the LGBT spectrum.  It's about someone on the LGBT spectrum deceiving you for years about the fact that they weren't actually straight.  It's about that person trying to make you embrace a different sexuality for yourSELF - one which you've made clear that you're not interested in exploring.  It's about him not respecting your boundaries.  It's about how he lied to you about who he was, and now if you don't change the entire orientation of your marriage, you're the bad guy?  Eff that static.

I've rarely had a conversation with someone where they've even suggested that I might have stayed with my gay spouse and "made it work".  If I dug deeper, that meant to them that we stayed married but satisfied our intimate needs outside the marriage.  So not many people even think that you should stay together with someone who is of a different orientation than you.  But to those who've said that, I've said, "Is that what YOU'd have done?  I had exactly ONE person say yes.  And then I asked them, "Why?"  And they had no answer except "for the children - so they don't come from a broken home."  And then I asked, "So, it is most important that the family unit stay intact?  So important that their blueprint for marriage is two people co-existing but feeling nothing more for each other than roommates?"  Then it was a no.

You can't worry about what others think.  I learned in the end that I would never forgive myself if I let everyone around me determine my happiness.  It's funny - the people I see who've done that (like my own mother) don't really seem so happy anyway.  And the people they stayed to please have either since died (their parents) or grown up and left (their children).  And they're still stuck in unhappiness.  Doesn't look like a good trade to me.

I got to the point where I just felt like, "I'm freaking FORTY YEARS OLD.  If I can't make my own decisions by now, when would I be able to?  I still take others into consideration.  But I don't fool myself any longer into thinking that I'm not as important in the decision making process as everyone else is.  I am someone, too.  I am worth something, too.  I matter.  And if I won't act like that, no one else will, either.

As for what to say about what happened to your marriage, I think you'll be surprised how few people even ask you.  Only family, for the most part.  You can decide to say something vague - like, "It just wasn't working any more" - because you don't owe them a detailed explanation.  Or you can decide to say something vague but a bit more pointed - like, "He wasn't who he originally presented himself to be."  Or "He changed dramatically in several very important ways, and I realized that who he'd become didn't match what I needed from a marriage."  And then there's what I'D say - "He wanted to be a woman - and I'm not a lesbian."

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 20, 2017 3:04 pm  #4

I love Daryl's response.  "He's no longer the man I married".  That's perfect.  And yes - I'd absolutely tell my family and close friends. 

I also love Kel's response.  Because once someone jumps on top of me in the middle of the night in a freakin nighty, all bets are off and I say what I want.

I'm sick of the way things are going with all the political correctness.  I can't even watch a TV show without them somehow working in a gay couple or a kiss or an innuendo towards it.  Even my new favorite show This is Us had to work in that a grandfather turned gay.  It's everywhere and my question is why?  We are so scared as a society that someone is going to get their feelings hurt or their panties in a wad over something.  But he thinks it's ok to get all over you with his nighty on when you've already said no?  In our rush to make everyone feel accepted and ok about themselves, we are sometimes closeting our own feelings.  And that's not ok. 

So just like we say when someone is cheating with a same sex person....take the gay/trans out of it and what do you have?  You  have a spouse that lied to you for 30 years.  No way would you keep that to yourself if that were a normal marriage.  You'd be like, that SOB lied to me for 30 years!  But somehow, you feel like because he's dressing up as a woman that's different.  I get it.  My ex is still in denial and the only people I told were family and close friends (well, and his sister...oops).  But I also have zero proof that he acted upon it.  If I did, the things coming out of my mouth would have been very different. At a very minimum, tell your close friends that you trust if you haven't already.  It's like free therapy.  The more you talk the better you feel.  Hang in there!  We're here for you.

October 21, 2017 6:40 am  #5

It's as if I am required to have all this compassion and understanding for his "horrible" situation.

Wow, does this ring true/hit home to me!  So many sources and people assume "fault" on the part of the straight spouse or excuse thoughtless or cruel behavior on the part of the LGT spouse, because, you know, homo/trans/phobia.
    That an in-denial spouse hiding in a marriage or a spouse changing the rules in the middle of a marriage by declaring a different  sexuality might also have some responsibility or obligation to the spouse gets lost. There are, for example, very few places that don't write from the assumption that the wife of a newly declared transwoman must adjust or accommodate or educate herself on the needs of her once-husband now-wife.  I have yet to see someone address the trans partner and say, "it is your obligation to understand that you have fundamentally ruptured the terms of your marriage contract and your ethical obligation is to free your partner from the marriage."  But I have seen many, many exhortations to the wife that it is her duty to understand and accommodate, and I have even seen speculations not about why the transwoman stays but why the straight wife stays, because the assumption is that it's on the straight spouse to adjust, and not on the trans spouse to, ahem, "man up" and face the consequences for the declaration. 
    I believe fewer of us would find ourselves in agony over our spouse's sexuality or identity if the narrative were to change to put the onus on the newly out spouse and not on the unsuspecting straight spouse.  (And we all have heard the "you must have known" accusation, another little blameshifting tactic.)
   This time of year is hard for us straight spouses, what with National Coming Out Day (last week) and Trans Awareness Week (coming up in November).  Media attention ramps up about this time; it seems I, at least, can't escape yet another celebration of transwomen every time I turn around--"Finding Your Roots" will feature transwoman Janet Mock next week (Janet Mock, who wrote about transwomen greeting each other and 'affirming' themselves with the (offensive to women slur) greeting "Girl, you're looking 'fish' tonight!"); today's NYT features an article in Health and Wellness (!) saying "Playboy" will have a transwoman on its cover (a transwoman who is thrilled to be chosen as it affirms her "femininity"!--showing once again that the reality for transwomen is not what it is for women, who by and large do not celebrate their objectification because it "proves" they are women--desirability by men not being the defining quality of woman!).  
   I'm winding myself up, so I'll stop now.  Suffice it to say that for me, a shift in the balance is long overdue--it's irresponsible and unethical to see "coming out" in a one-sided celebratory way when in reality it's so much more complicated and fraught.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (October 21, 2017 7:04 am)

October 21, 2017 12:43 pm  #6

Kel wrote:

F*ck political correctness.... "He wanted to be a woman - and I'm not a lesbian."

Kel

Thank you, Kel.  You have such a way with words!  I know I don't need anyone's permission to articulate myself, yet I really appreciate how precisely your two sentences I quoted in this post reflect how I want to speak my mind.

pea hen

Board footera