OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2017 9:24 am  #1

Hello !!

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to this forum but have been reading posts for six months or more.

I'm L and have been in my relationship with S (male) for four years. Two years ago he admitted to
me that he was bisexual; he described it as a physical, sexual thing, and could never imagine himself being with a man, dating a man.

After much of the usual fall-outs, make-ups, discussions, talking...we decided,  or more realistically, I decided - that we loved each other lots and wanted to stay together. I 'accepted' him as he was....probably out of fear of losing him/being on my own.

So, S meets his sexual 'urges', as he calls them, by hooking up with guys (always older- S is 41) via Grindr and other sites. It's intermittent...he can go for months without having these 'urges', then will have a splurge and have sex with many men in the space of a week or two.

I've now discovered that S is not just fulfilling physical needs, but has moved on to meeting guys for drinks, going to the cinema, dating, sleepovers. His transition from it being 'just f***ing' to it now being more emotionally intimate, is wrecking me.

We are at the moment at loggerheads. He has pushed me away and refused to speak to me, as I confronted him about the current situation and said I was unhappy with it. At my wit's end.
Any advice or support welcome.

September 27, 2017 10:02 am  #2

Re: Hello !!

Hi LilyPeacock, 

Welcome to our group.  I hope we can provide you with good council and support. 

It sounds like you and your partner have gone down a path that most of us considered, but few of us were willing to actually accept.  The gay partner wants to have sex with members of their own gender to fulfill their sexual urges.  Some people are willing to allow their partner to do this because they can compartmentalize the sexuality apart from the emotional and intellectual love.  You were able to do this.  I'm not sure if it was coerced or volunteered, but somehow you loved your partner and your life together enough to make this work.  Most of the members of this forum considered this idea, but decided they couldn't walk this path.  Neither is necessarily better or worse.. just different. 

So now you've lived the life of an open relationship and you are learning that your partner is no longer satisfied with only the physical intimacy.  This is very interesting to me.  As I said, most of us didn't chose this path, so we have very few people who have shared experiences in your shoes.  
If you had asked me ahead of time if I thought a gay husband who wanted to stay with his wife, but still have sex outside the relationshiop would be happy with this arrangement long term.. I would have said yes.  I think most of us have the assumption that men are more drawn physically toward a mate, while women are more drawn emotionally to a mate.  So if you gave the man the latitude to fulfill the physical needs outside the marriage, you would assume he would remain happy with the emotional aspects in the marriage.  But, you are reporting that he is now seeking both the physical and emotional needs outside. 

While I'm no expert on how to make an open relationship work.  I can offer you some advice and lots of support. 

I would tell you that you are not bound to this relationship.  You said that you had been in a relationship for a couple years before he told you this.  It's a pretty big secret to keep for two years with someone you claim to be in love with.  If you are only dating, and not married, then ending the relationship is a very simple thing from a process standpoint.  Clearly not from an emotional standpoint though..   If you are not happy with your partner then there is a very easy solution..  end the relationship and move on.  Why stay in a relationship that clearly has no chance of long term success.  He told you that he is "Bi", but you know now that he's not BI.. he is gay.  Most gay people claim to be BI before fully coming out.  It softens the blow and makes it seem like an innocent transition that comes in time.. when the truth is, it usually a lie.  They know they are gay, just want to take the time to ease into the reality of it. 

We do support you, no matter what path you chose.  If you haven't yet, please look into the face to face support groups that we have in most major cities.  Having a real human in front of you who has a shared experience can be a huge help.     

Keep sharing your story and your feelings here..  Just the act of writing things out can be great therapy. 

One final bit of advice.. Please be safe.  You know he's hooking with random men and in doing so, he is exposing himself and then you to many very dangerous diseases.  Your life and health is more important than helping him maintain the public appearance of being a straight man. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 27, 2017 1:00 pm  #3

Hi Lily,

I'm sorry you're going through this.  It sounds like you've made great, difficult sacrifices already, only to find out that it isn't giving you what you were promised.

I don't believe that we can have a completely fulfilling relationship once we step backwards from monogamy within marriage to non monogamy.  When you're mutually monogamous, you both feel "chosen" above all others.  And rightfully so - that's in the very vows we speak on our wedding day - "forsake all others" for this one person.  Marriage is not just who we're choosing to sleep with at the moment.  It's THE person we've decided to forsake all others for.  So,..... how can you move from that to sharing your body and your passion and your desire with someone else and not have it affect the marriage?  I don't believe it can be done without killing some part of ourselves off in order to do it.  And yes - I believe that most times, if we agree to such a thing, it's out of fear of losing what we have.

However, you thought you could compartmentalize this well.  Still though - even if it was "just" sex - he was still taking something he'd committed to you and only you, and giving it to someone else.  Along with his time, his attention, his affection, his obsession and likely some money.  How would you be able to be okay with such a thing?  Who would?

On top of all that, now he's having more than "just" sex with these men.  Hanging out with them to get to know them personally - to foster a connection with them.  Something that he'd already vowed to only give you.

Now that you've told him that you're unhappy, what's his response?  If it's not "I'm sorry - I'll stop.  It's not as important to me as you are.", then it's not the right answer.  Even if he is unable to keep that commitment, he should still be willing to give it some lip service.  If he can't/won't even do that, there is no hope.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 28, 2017 12:54 am  #4

Hi MsPeacock,

when you say you are L, do you mean you are lesbian?  If so then I can offer the example of my ex - he is gay in denial.  Before me he was in a committed relationship for three years they broke up and both moved on to straight partners - he thought she was straight and she thought he was straight and neither of them were - there's a real shortage of chemistry like that.  

if you are straight or lesbian may I suggest that overwhelmingly the reports are that straights do not do well long term married to anybody other than another straight.  Nobody does well in them really.  I ended up recognising that it wasn't just me, his emotional health would improve if I divorced him.

And echo concerns for your health - If he's bonking lots of men periodically I shudder to think what your risk of exposure to disease is.

wishing you all the best, Lily

September 28, 2017 9:23 am  #5

I think she was just saying her name started with an L.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera