OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2017 9:08 pm  #1

Has anyone dealt with "We all knew."

I have been following this forum as a guest for about 5 years now and this is my first post. Just a quick who I am. I met my husband the summer after I graduated from high school in 89 and married 2 years later. We went on to have 6 kids in 2009 when I was pregnant with our 6th child was when I found out about TGT of course it was presented to me as bisexual at the time. And we limped along until it finally came to a physical altercation by him one night the summer of 2015 when I tried to question him about his relationship with a particular man he said he had gotten to help me around the house. I left him that night. Our divorce took a year and a half and now just recently after not even being divorced a year he has married the man. I have 6 children in a range of ages 2 still pretty young,  2 are in high school and 2 older and it just gets to me when someone says that WE All KNEW in a joking like way. Because if they really did know they sure should have said something because not saying something would have been pretty sorry. I just don't find this cute at all. This is my children's reality! Does anyone else feel this way? 

Last edited by 6kidslater (September 26, 2017 9:09 pm)

September 26, 2017 9:21 pm  #2

Re: Has anyone dealt with "We all knew."

I'm new too. First posted a couple hours ago. I feel so much for you. I am sorry this has happened to you and me. I wish someone had told me. If someone knew and didn't tell me something THIS huge....I think people did know. If I knew/or even had an idea I would have made much different choices for myself and family. I read about triangulation earlier on this site.  Should I tell the most recent chump coming in? I believe I should because thats what i would have wanted for myself. Torn about this exposure thing. Don't know sh*t. I just got here, too. Thanks for listening.

September 26, 2017 9:47 pm  #3

Welcome 6kidslater and Allison,

No.. I asked a college friend who knew me and my wife from when we were dating.  My friend did not know about the gay.   No one knew..my family etc.   What my friend did say is my  ex  back then was "tolerated"..they didnt really like her.    That is, they must has seen the narcissism.    I asked why 
didnt you tell me...and my friend said  "would you have listened".  Really no I would not have..i loved her and she , up until her, relationship with this woman had always been kind to me.

Over the decades of my marriage my ex had managed to estrange me from most of my friends and family. So no,   I look back and see the narcissism but not the gay.    They seem to keep their secrets very well.
Its a sad and scary thing..

Again,  a warm welcome  to the forum.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 27, 2017 8:50 am  #4

Hi 6kidslater, 

Welcome to our group.  It's great to have you here.  I'm so sorry you experienced such a painful divorce.  I hope you are finding some peace and happiness in your new life now.  Even so, I'm sure there are still painful scars that lay just below the surface.  Hopefully we can help you deal with some of those issues and you can help us by sharing your experience and wisdom gained from it. 

To your question:   Have we dealt with people saying "we all knew"?   Yes I have and I'm sure it will happen again in the future when I reconnect with people that I haven't seen for a year or more.  

It hurts to hear someone say that.  It seems like an insult or undercut.  I have spent so much time thinking about my past.. specifically my decision to get married and I struggle with concept that there were clear warning signs that I chose to ignore.  Instead I believed what she told me because I was in love with her.  I also believed what I wanted to believe.  When we are in love we can create an alternate reality that is visible only to us and we fully believe it because we chose to.  18 years later I can look back and call myself an idiot.  But it hurts when other people do that.  When someone says "I always thought she was a lesbian" that just comes across as an insult to me.  
I got an angry at one friend who told me that.. I was angry that he was my friend throughout and he had that understanding, but never said anything to me.  When I talked to him about it, he told me that he knew better at the time.  He knew that I wouldn't have listened to him because I was in love with her.  I wouldn't have taken his council.  I would have probably been insulted to hear him talk badly about her.  So, knowing that I wouldn't listen to him, he thought it best to mind his own business.   It made a lot of sense to me.  I think he was right.  There are very few opinions that I would have even listened to at that point in my life.  Perhaps if my father or her sister would have offered me an opinion I might have listened.  But not my buddy who didn't know her anywhere near as well as I did. 

Anyway.. sorry to ramble..  but yes..  I've dealt with the second guessing from others and it's difficult to listen to.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 27, 2017 12:29 pm  #5

Guys - she's not asking if other people said that they suspected your spouse was gay.  She's asking if your SPOUSE is saying that you all (meaning you and your kids/family) knew all along.  As if it was an open secret and you just stayed together anyway.

No, that never happened to me.  My spouse - like so many others here - denied, denied, denied.  WE didn't "know".  HE knew, but he wouldn't let me have that knowledge so I could make my own decisions about my life.  I suspect that since it would be very difficult for your ex to say that he went from not knowing he was gay to marrying a man within 2 years, he's going to try to turn the narrative some other way, so that he's not the bad guy.  If he's married to a gay man within 2 years of leaving, then it stands to reason that he must have been gay for years before the end of your marriage.  Which puts him in a really bad light - he was clearly lying to you and deluding you for a while in that scenario.  To eliminate that stigma, he'll spin this the only other way he can - by saying that it was common knowledge between the two of you for a long time.  So that it looks like YOU were the one that chose to stay, despite him being clearly gay.  This can work well for him, because since you continued to have children together, it's evident that you were still having sex (the fact that it might be once a year never occurs to people).  To them, it's either an on or an off switch.  So they assume it was "on".  So even if he claimed to be attracted to men or even outright gay, he was still sleeping with you.  And in order to continue having children with him, they'll assume that the two of you were happy, despite his desires.  She he gets to be the knight in shining armor - the one who way gay, but satisfied you anyway.  Annnnnddddd,.... he skates away, taking no responsibility for the terrible thing he did to you and the kids.

Is he telling others this in your presence?  If so, I'd have a narrative ready for that statement.  Something like, "No.....  WE didn't know - YOU knew.  You chose not to tell us, and now you're spinning your story so you don't need to take responsibility for imploding our family.  It's not funny and it's not cute.  It's a lie."  Watch him stop telling that story right quick, because it's not working for him.

If he's telling other people this in your absence and they tell you later, my first response would be "And you believe this?"  If they said yes, then I'd be inclined to say something along the lines of, "Well, now you know what it feels like to have him lie right to your face.  Welcome to the club."  That should shut them down.  If it doesn't, and they persist with something like, "Why would he lie about that?", then I'd say, "For whatever reason he lied to his WIFE about being gay, I suppose."

I'm sorry he's doing this to you.  But take your power back, 6kids.  The truth shall set you free.  Don't live in his reality any more.  Bust those doors wide open.  Make it clear you live in an open field now, and there are no doors there.  You don't have to play by his rules any more.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (September 27, 2017 12:32 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 27, 2017 12:41 pm  #6

I can identify with each of you. My late mother-in-law told my ex's brother that my ex was gay, 5 years before he came out. My ex dismissed his mother's comment by saying "Mum's losing her marbles, can't believe anything she says" and I believed him.
My ex was the perfect husband, did all the things that would look right.
When he came out, most of our friends took is side and I became the nasty bitch. They would say things like "surely you must have known", "you stayed with him for 23 years, it couldn't have been that bad". 
I know now that I lived in denial for all the 23 years of my marriage. I couldn't afford, emotionally, to question myself or him. I kept to myself, never confided in anyone. I lived in shame from the honeymoon onward because I knew then that I was not good enough for him, I wasn't attractive to him, and I internalized it all. Shame is powerful and it's a lonely place to live. The first time I didn't feel lonely was the day I moved him out of the family home and into his own place. He had delayed moving, always making excuses and I began to see him for who he was: a controlling, inadequate human being who was all about image, clinging onto me and our marriage while he hoped I would come to my senses and not divorce him. "I acted like a husband. What more did you want?"
My kids were 14, 16, 18 when he came out 11 years ago. We have come a long way! Each of us found what worked best for us, we're healthy, and close. 
Like Phoenix, I'm in a spectacular time of my life. "nowimme" Now I'm Me! I have not become a new person. I have emerged as my own, real self that had been beaten down for a very long time.
SSN was my lifeline and therapy jump-started my relationship with the wonderful woman I am. 
Feeling for you all xox

Board footera