OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2017 6:21 pm  #1

My narcissistic rage

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 3:32 pm)

September 22, 2017 7:45 pm  #2

Re: My narcissistic rage

I like that you are empowered and taking control of your situation. 

I like that you are done hiding in his closet.  You shouldn't harm yourself by keeping his secret.

I worry that if you out him in a hurtful way you will regret it later.  He might become angry and abusive.  You might regret and feel guilty about it later.

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 22, 2017 9:20 pm  #3

Duped,
I'm going to channel Chump Lady here.  Trust that he sucks.  Trust that what you are seeing and the way he is acting is what he is.  Trust yourself, even though somehow he's tapped into your weakest self.  Trauma bonding, love bombing, devalue or discard, you are not the narcissist here.  
   What you're dealing with is a disordered person who is so far in denial that he is not rational, and he will use you.  Sweetheart, I know what you're feeling. I've done the same.  But it's not love.  He doesn't love.  In your need you may perceive it as love, but you know it's not love. You know this, and that's the source of your rage.  Of course you want to get even!
   The urge to stop keeping his secret does not make you a narcissist.  It means you are a truth teller, but that you feel somehow that to tell the truth is selfish (and you think that makes you a narcissist).  It's so hard to be self protective and to tell the truth.  They think we will stay in their closets, and they try to isolate us there, because if we move outside of the reality we live with them we will find the perspective to see how disordered they are.
   We've all been weak. We've all felt frustration.  We've all been desperate.  We've all lashed out. It's a response to being played.  
   I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier--are you doing better now?

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (September 22, 2017 9:25 pm)

September 22, 2017 9:22 pm  #4

Duped,
 Can I suggest that what you want is not from him, but from yourself?  You want to love yourself, and care for yourself, and you either don't know how or believe that you can or that you deserve it.  But you do.  You deserve real love, not to be used, and you do deserve love without strings.  

September 22, 2017 10:58 pm  #5

Duped,

How do you want to get even.  What vengeance would suffice?

Trauma bonding or insane loyalty will only get you more hurt...this you know in your bones.   

For me my ex is crazy or insane. She has a "broken moral core"..so there are no words I can say to her that will get me anything.
Ie.. if I tell her how much she hurt me she'll say " oh boo hoo..poor rob...im the victim here."

I'm telling you no contact is key...do not seek vengeance. .even that is a form of contact they will crave..  no contact.   Please view the top 10 ways to get back at your narcissist from Tom again;
  https://youtu.be/J3womK70af0

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 22, 2017 11:16 pm  #6

Hi Duped,

Please don't give in to the urge to retaliate - you want to have a go at him, deservedly so, but if you do you play right into his hands.  You give a bit more of yourself away again.  

Your anger is too precious to waste on him.  Okay I'm going to repeat that, it's what got me through - your anger is too precious to waste on him.  Use it for yourself.  use it to kick on with your new life.  anything, do anything, even if it is to have a good cry about being so angry, do anything instead (except eat chocolate). 

Tell the truth to whom you want to, to help you.  

You will end up strong and he will have to be nice to you if he wants to have anything to do with you at all.

September 23, 2017 2:56 am  #7

It was late here when I posted, I wore myself out with tears and slept for a couple of hours I woke up and he had messaged and said he'd got into trouble and threatened the same would happen to me. My phone was silent so I missed that and some calls  So I tried to ring to see if he's ok and hours later I still don't know so I am a bit of a mess still. I'm so tired of my time being spent in such a fog of tears and sadness, I know you all understand. If he's done something silly I will have to feel responsible for that too because I was goading him to try and get some response.

Thank you all for replying to me, I hated myself writing that post, I just can't handle the abandonment it pushes all my buttons so I can't think or act straight. I need to calm down and read all your replies again carefully but I won't take revenge, thank you for all pointing out that it will hurt me more.  I really did want to tell people to hurt him, not to release myself, I find I feel this more and more and it conflicts badly because I'm not like that, I look out for people and watch their backs, I don't like this change in me, I want to unknow all this stuff and not be so bitter and angry all the time. I remember happiness, how I used to be when I was single, I knew how to care for myself and I was content. Now, I just stumble all the time, I don't trust my instincts anymore, I turn to the one person who did this to me for some sort of company - how did I become so pathetic. I have other people who want to talk to me and spend time but I just can't build on those and fall back on this.

It means a lot that you were here for me this time, it feels like it's going to get worse before better still.

Last edited by Duped (September 23, 2017 3:33 am)

September 23, 2017 6:06 am  #8

okay, I think I understand - yes worse before better - the worse is what you're doing now - facing your fear of feeling lonely.  when you feel lonely, oh boy it makes you understand why you feared it because it hurts a lot.  I remember going through a phase where I saw my ex a couple of times and I just thought well it's daft but I don't care, I am doing what I need to do for me.  And if I want to see him I will.  The intensity of the lonely feeling has lightened a bit and I strategise to limit my exposure to it but sometimes it gets me off guard and then it is intense but I know to just move along and in a little while I will be feeling comfortable again.  I never think of seeing my ex again - i don't want to.

feeling lonely is one of those things that just bloody well hurts and nothing changes that but compared to the numb lonely isolated feeling I had living in a fake marriage, it is a relief.  I so don't want to see my ex again, the last time I did I looked at him and he is looking at me and he is well aware that I know he is gay and politely not mentioning it and he is looking at me and he is not admitting it, and it was like getting the closet shoved in my face.  yuck, I thought, what a nasty feeling, what a horrible person he is.

things will get better in a little while, you will look back to now and see how far you've come - give yourself some time to get used to a new normal.  you're not abandoning yourself he can abandon you all he wants and it's only his problem not yours now.  hugs.

September 23, 2017 6:36 am  #9

Duped,
First of all, I commend you for how far you've come! I can tell you are an intelligent and amazing woman. We all know what this feels like, to be absolutely gutted by the one person we trusted our lives with, gutted and left for dead on the side of the road like roadkill. But still some part of us, the part that kept us there in the first place, the caring and compassionate and forgiving part, misses our old life and even our old version of them. If we could only see and feel that old version one more time, we would feel so much better. But that version is dead, and we need to bury it for good. Once it's buried, we can grieve, be sad , and angry, and everything else, but eventually we wake up one day and we feel happy and unburdened. And the ONLY way that will ever happen for you is by going no contact. Block him from everything you can. OOHC is right about Chump Lady, I also spend a lot of time there , I love how she just cuts through the crap. You can do this, you already have, please save yourself, you are worth more than this.
Hugs.

September 23, 2017 7:04 am  #10

Duped,

I read your latest reply..

First I'd like reply with what kel told me years ago;  you are not pathetic!  You are;

Human for wanting companionship and love.

Kind for giving your spouse so many chances

Loving for caring what happens to him

Empathetic for understanding his problems.

Don't go beating yourself up for feeling or hurting. Don't jump on his bandwagon.

Second,  you are not alone.  We are never really alone.  Heck at the very least you have us.  You have a god..and whether your religious or not know that he wouldn't have put us here or had us go through this if he didn't think we could handle it.  I don't know what God's purpose is making us go through this but I know he would not want us to be with someone that keeps hurting us over and over. Maybe he is protecting us?

Alone is ok. I get lonely too but not lonely enough to be abused by my ex.  She is not my friend.
Alone is better.

We are not abandoned.  I'd rather hang out with strong authentic person like yourself than many people.. no..abandoned and discarded are not the right words that describe who we are..

A kind e-hug.  Virtual, maybe distant, but sincere and authentic.

Last edited by Rob (September 23, 2017 7:07 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera