OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2017 9:45 am  #1

A NEWBIE TO THIS FORUM

After a 45 year marriage, I made the move to divorce my GID narcissistic husband.  From what I have been reading on this site thus far, it appears that I am in the same situation as MEMBER JUDY,  Her story and mine seem so similar with the decades of deceit and also alienation of my 2 adult children because of his denial and lies to them.  I have finally found a site with someone else who has suffered so much deceit and betrayal for so many decades!!!!!  
I realize everyone on this site is hurting and suffering; but for those much younger than me and Judy, you still have your whole life ahead of you.  And for those debating whether to leave or not, please, please don't waste what remains of your life on such cruel and heartless partners.  When you first begin to suspect something is not right, believe it and GET OUT ASAP!!!!

September 14, 2017 9:55 am  #2

Re: A NEWBIE TO THIS FORUM

Welcome gigi, 

It's great to have you here.  Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom with us.  Please stick around and share in our discussions, you are one of us and I think you can help many other people by sharing your experiences and learning with us.   I also know that the pain never completely goes away, so please let us know if you have bad days or hard times so that we can try to help you as well. 

A sincere welcome gigi!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 14, 2017 9:55 am  #3

Welcome Gigi.  My marriage was "only" about 28 years, not 45 like yours, but I too have two alienated adult children due to the continued denial and lies, as you have noted in your situation.  This alienation of adult children is something that appears to not be uncommon, but it isn't something that is a regular topic on this forum.  On the old forum there were a couple of other women in this situation also.  For me it is the absolute worst part of this thing and one thing I cannot reconcile or get over.  

I also wonder sometimes if some of those on this forum with young, minor children won't eventually encounter this problem some day when their children do become adults.  Also, most of what I have heard about this issue involves daughters and straight mothers.  I have not really heard about other combinations of parents and children that have this problem.  It might be something fairly unique to some mothers and daughters who find themselves in this situation.  It seems like the fathers in these cases just continue to deny and lie to the children and the daughters continue to maintain a sort of hero worship about their fathers and want to "defend" against the mother who as "wronged" their father, according to what they have been told.

I am always open to hearing more about other women in this extremely painful and difficult situation.

I am sorry that you too are experiencing this.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

September 14, 2017 10:12 am  #4

ADMIN..............Thanx for welcoming me to this wonderful site.  I promise I will be able to contribute with advice and insight.  Hell, it took me 45 years to connect all the dots!!!!  And now I even can inform what has transpired in the 4 years since I divorced him.  One thing hasn't changed though...........he's still GID with me and our children.

September 14, 2017 10:23 am  #5

Lake Breeze..........Throughout my childrens' lives, I was always their confidant and the one they loved and valued, knowing Mommy would always support, advise and love them.  All the sperm donor did was side with them when I would find the need to discipline them.  He never had my back, which is common with toxic narcs.  hE likeD to be their hero, And he would always chastise them for coming to me for advice and assistance....................WHILE HE PROVIDED NONE OF THAT!!!!!!!   Go Figure.

September 14, 2017 11:37 am  #6

A warm welcome, gigi.  I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much pain and heartache.  You sound so strong, though!  I'm quite positive that you will be juuuust fiiiiiine.

It's so awful that he's essentially stolen your children's hearts from you.  My ex also used to try to be the kids' friend while I was their only parent.  He stole the best parts of parenthood for himself - buying them gifts whenever he took them anywhere (and then me needing to NOT do that, so they wouldn't become spoiled, entitled kids).  If I was disciplining one of them, he would hold them and tell them it was going to be okay.  As if I were the enemy and he was their savior.  He'd make a HUGE deal out of how they always loved to cuddle with him - as if this is the end-all, be-all of parenting - lying on the couch and watching a movie.  I got to to all the heavy lifting, and he got to have all the fun.

The good news is that my kids eventually saw through it.  I have no idea how.  I think it was because when they needed him for something real, he just wasn't there for them.  He was all teddy bears and hugs - none of the stuff that the kids needed as they matured.  My daughter asked her dad weeks ago if he'd take the evening off work (he's a waiter) to come see her in her outfit for her first Homecoming dance.  And he, of course, "forgot".  She rarely sees him anymore - you'd think he'd jump at a chance to be there for her.  But.... nope!  That'd interrupt his life too much.  He fits the kids into the nooks and crannies - he doesn't work his life around the kids.

Please keep coming here and giving us your story and showing others that there is someone here just like them. 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 14, 2017 2:55 pm  #7

Kel,
Thanx for welcoming me!!!   I am so pleased that your children "finally saw the light"   That surely must have relieved the terrrible pain YOU were dealing with.  Unfortunately, he has my children thinking I'm paranoid.  I should have voiced my suspicions years ago, while I was still in denial.  When all the pieces finally came together for me and confided in them, they just couldn't believe what I was saying.  My one adult child told the other.... either Mommy's going crazy or Daddy is the biggest liar in the world.  IF ONLY I WAS LYING!!!!

September 14, 2017 3:10 pm  #8

Welcome Gigi, you sound strong and formidable now! I'm sure you're going to help a lot of people here.

Last edited by Duped (September 14, 2017 3:10 pm)

September 14, 2017 7:20 pm  #9

Gigi- Your comment above about your children sounds very close to what I have experienced.  In my case though, he would not chastise them for coming to me for advice while they were growing up, he would in fact encourage it, but then he would negate a lot of what I would tell them, with such comments as, "you wouldn't HAVE TO do it that way!" or "maybe some people would do that, but not EVERYBODY".  Mine never had my back either and would often "side" with the kids if I put my foot down about how late they could stay out, or school/social life balance issues, etc.  Unfortunately it all continues ...

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

September 14, 2017 7:46 pm  #10

Duped........I will do my very best to provide advice, support and insight.

Board footera