OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2017 11:47 am  #1

Grief - the myth of 'getting over it'

Although this article is primarily about grief due to the loss of a loved one, it also speaks to the Straight Spouse experience.

"you cannot erase emotional memory. Besides, it's not about achieving closure. Instead you have to figure out what you are going to do when your emotional memories are later triggered."

https://www.thriveglobal.com/stories/12245-grief-isn-t-something-to-get-over

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 10, 2017 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Grief - the myth of 'getting over it'

When I miscarried our first child.....my grief was a finite thing, and the memories it left were sad and melancholic but that time is somewhere I can visit in my thoughts at any time without any deeper a 
reflection. 

The loss of the meaning of  the history, present and future of my r'ship with the man I thought I knew 
however..fills me with such a monumental sadness that it scares me that the continual groove of grief 
I'm in will wear so deep that I'll never get out. Scares me so much I make myself aware of the harm it's 
doing to my self-esteem, and though I put no time-limit on the grief I feel, there's always a realisation that 
sits on my shoulder telling me softly "this will get better....y'know nothing stays the same right?" 

My counsellor gave me a technique to use when my thoughts threaten to ruin my day. I call it "5 things" and I can do this anywhere, anytime.....even in the dark....lol
Note with your eyes, acknowledge 5 objects you can see (my reflective/crying/hopelessness time is early morning & in the dark I pick out things I know are in the room....a perfume bottle, a picture on the wall, a chair, my shoe, a hairbrush. And see them in my mind.
Next I hear 4 things. The sound of traffic, the wind, the clock, birds twittering
3 things I feel. My beating heart, the duvet, warmth
Then 2 things I smell. Yesterday's perfume, our sleepy aroma
1 taste...the freshness of my mouth

Try it  

KIA KAHA                       

September 10, 2017 3:30 pm  #3

I was thinking of posting something on this today...having had a teary episode and triggered reaction to something that reminded me of my emotional experience with my ex. I recognise that I have a weakness relating to people I like who may blow cold (however now I consider just a missed text or something to be blowing cold when it probably isn't at all) so I need to learn to handle this internal boiling before I ruin any future relationships before they have even started. How do you dampen down your emotional memory to triggers, I don't think I can but I have to find a way. I haven't read the link yet but will now :-)

September 10, 2017 9:36 pm  #4

This is a helpful link Daryl, thank you. 

Last edited by JenS (April 30, 2018 8:15 am)

September 10, 2017 10:30 pm  #5

Exactly, and there's no timetable. Even more important, if something triggers you, it's not a sign of failure. It's normal.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 11, 2017 9:49 am  #6

I've found it to be much different than the grief over losing someone to death.  One of my best friends died young - he didn't make it to 35 (brain cancer).  When I think of him (even though it's been about 10 years now since he passed), I still feel sad at the loss. I do feel glad to have known him, but it's overshadowed by the feeling of sadness for not being able to communicate and laugh with him anymore.  My life is fulfilling and full of wonderful things, but there is no filling the hole that he left.  When I visit the place where that grief lives, it feels.... real.  And it hasn't changed in a loooong time now.  I think this is what it will always feel like.

With regards to my gay ex, that whole scenario feels more like an old boyfriend that I broke up with in my early 20's; I can remember the pain, but I don't access it any longer when I think of him.  Of course, unlike an ex boyfriend, I have to continue to interact with my ex, due to having joint custody over the kids.  My feelings now are more associated with anger over something that he's done - like blown off the kids, or paid his child support late enough that it's affected my budget.  Or when I'm actually forced to interact with him, he acts like he's angry with ME for some reason.  These things make me access my anger and confusion, but he really can't get me super upset any longer - because he's not important to me any longer on a personal level.  But the emotional surge isn't there any longer - hasn't been for years now.  As with any ex, I often think "Ugh - I can't believe I was WITH that guy."  It seems like a different lifetime ago.  Like bumping into an old boyfriend and realizing that I don't know him any more - don't know who he is today, don't remember the feel of their lips, don't remember all the little nuances that made them..... them.  I just don't access any of that any longer.

I can still remember a lot of the pain.  Just like I can remember childbirth or several of my surgeries.  I remember being in pain, and how intense it felt. I can even remember feelings of hoplessness at the time - how it felt like it'd never end, the depression and crying that came with it, the feeling that I'd never feel pain-free again.  But I can't access that pain any longer, really.  None of it is accessible enough to prevent me from having another surgery, from having another relationship, or - when I still could - from having another baby.  It's all just water under the bridge.  My former marriage feels exactly like that.  The other part is that when I run across something I have now that I didn't have in my former marriage, I realize that.  I know that I have something wonderful in comparison.  I'm able to appreciate it that much more now, because those little things still surprise me every time - they don't become background.  Every time he opens a door for me, or wants to bust into whatever room I'm changing in, or sends me a lovely text, I feel how special those moments are.  Because I remember thinking that the alternate was "normal".  And now I know that it wasn't.  It wasn't acceptable and never should have been.

It DOES go away.  Just like anything else.  But just like most trials, it feels like you'll go through it forever while you're going through it.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (September 11, 2017 9:55 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 14, 2017 9:54 am  #7

I hate that "getting over it" schtick!  And the whole "moving on" shit.  My MIL said that to me at Xmas while my GIDX was touring his new GF aka "The new understanding Beard" amongst the family. 

I've heard that so much and I just feel violent.  It does ease with time.  I'm feeling slightly better and not flooding with tears all the time over my losses, but it feels so trite when people say such things.  This was my life with someone who was abusing me by turning every normal request into something wrong with me. Any complaint or overly emotional reaction triggered a defensive, argumentative verbally abusive stance that was due to me asking 'too' much.  So the verbal abuse and/or silent contempt he showed me so often is something that I still have to deal with because after SO LONG in that sort of relationship I still believe people who put me down because of their own motives/insecurities.  There is no easy way to avoid the feelings and behaviours that became a part of me.  I get reactive too. I defend myself. I feel uncertain and anxious and insecure because that is what that type of person wants you to feel. 

This week I was bullied at work.  It was a new job.  After 27 years out of the workaday world, I had landed what I thought was a great job.  Only I could not cope.  The boss bullied me and told me I wasn't working fast enough or doing what she asked quickly enough (this was day 8 in a managerial role in PR/marketing!) She was trying to get my salary adjusted downwards so her criticism was tactical, but I didn't realize that until I had calmed down.  I tried for a few days to work harder and then she just found fault with everything I did.  (I know I was doing good work now) But I triggered big time, and actually just walked out of the job.  I was so anxious already at being new and trying to do a good job (as anyone knows the first week isn't usually the most productive as you learn the ropes of the company!) that I really couldn't stay.  Hindsight says I should have calmed down and just left the room briefly rather than pack up my things haha!!  I've run my own little business too long and am too old to be spoken to like a small disobedient child, then haha I was a bit of a petulant child... oops!  

Anyway, reading this topic I just thought that my GIDX affects me still.  When someone tells me I'm rubbish, then I believe them.  I give away my power so easily.  She was/is the boss, and I just thought I can't deal with a boss who says something is blue when it is black.  She was a bully.  And part of me is proud of myself.  I see it more clearly now when someone is unreasonable, but I still react with too much emotion and in this case I have left a job because I was so triggered by this woman's aggression and I do think it was a bit of "gaslighting" as she accused me of saying I had been an xxx and I hadn't.  I needed that job.  But not enough to endure a person who wasn't able to communicate clearly in a positive manner what was wrong.  My GIDX always made the story about my failings and I thought I could not do a job with a person who was going to harp on me constantly in an aggressive and unhelpful manner like he did when I stood up for myself.  It took something away from him to say anything complementary and I could see she was like that.  

I am a capable and competent woman.  Only I've had the person whom I trusted, who was the closest person in my world, telling me for literally decades that I wasn't good enough, that I was crazy and overly emotional.  And that my intuition and feelings were wrong when in hindsight they were NOT.  Now I will just walk away.  Like any healthy person does and say "not my problem!" 

Oh well I guess I'll just go back to running my own business like I have for years.  It is tough and I thought that having a 9-5 would allow me to heal, but as I sit at my kitchen table plotting world domination I think I'm healing pretty damn good.  

Cheers to you all who aren't fucking over it.  But I guess with the speed of life we do keep movin on....

(excuse my French - I've started swearing like a trouper too...has anyone else had that side effect!!  haha.)

September 14, 2017 11:19 am  #8

Well I for one am very proud of you, Leah!  I mean, hey - you saw an abusive situation and turned right around and got out of Dodge!  That's something that a person with self-respect does - one who doesn't believe the situation will change and needs to protect themselves.  That's a really good thing after believing others when they put you down!  It means you just took part of your life back.  You REFUSED to be treated like dirt.  I'll bet you're not the first person to have done that there, and you won't be the last, either.

It's good to be able to recognize that you've erroneously believed others in the past.  It shows you what you were giving up.  Now that you know that, you can work to not have that happen ever again.  When I decided I wanted out of my last marriage with my GID husband, I did so at a time when I felt like my self confidence was almost..... gone.  I'd gotten to the point where I felt like leaving might be a BAD idea - because who was going to want me?  After all, the person who loved me didn't want me, and he was used to me.  But at some point, I realized that it didn't matter if I was alone - it was better than being in the inauthentic marriage I was in.  The moment I decided I wanted out, I began to feel different.  My confidence started to return.  And it just kept growing.  Now when I look back, I can't believe I let myself get that low about my worth.  That'll never happen again.  I know better now.

You're on the right road.  And fuck people who tell you that you should be over it by now.  My MIL once told me that she couldn't understand why I was so upset over finding out that my ex was gay.  I mean, hadn't I suspected it?  I said, "Sure!  But if he'd been straight and I suspected that he'd been cheating with another woman, and then I had that suspicion confirmed, would you be telling me that I shouldn't be upset?"  She said she understood.  She didn't.  And that's because to her, it didn't matter if he was gay - he was her son, and his sexual preference didn't have to reflect his relationship with her.  But for a WIFE, it was EVERYthing.  I began to shoot back at people who said dumb things like "you should be over it".  I remember saying to one friend, "Oh, I'm sorry - when was the date I was supposed to be over it by?  Was that 6 weeks?  6 months?  I didn't realize there was a date or a set amount of time."  Those pushy fuckers got over their desire to speak their opinions REAL fast after that.  And yes, I swear like a sailor, too. 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 14, 2017 8:37 pm  #9

Guys,,,I'm not sure how to "get over it"..      Yes, it's getting better with time but she hurt me so much... I still feel like a victim...but I don't want to be a victim.    I can't go the rest of my life still reeling from the hurt.  
How does a rape, abuse or violence victim  move on?   I am beset by triggers ... the largest of course being my ex herself .    What I have been doing is grieving or feeling fearful but then trying to limit that time by switching to something else.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 15, 2017 10:16 am  #10

Thanks Kel!  Yea, fuck'em eh? 

And Rob, I don't know "how" either, but I suspect that if I had to see my GIDX much I'd be struggling more.  It must be so much harder when your kids are so young.  Thankfully I don't have to see my GIDX.

But yea.  The how to go forward is the most important question.  How is today going to be more enjoyable?  I think I feel guilty being selfish and just allowing myself to be interested in what I want.  For years I have always been thinking about what my other half or my kids wanted, so now I get to just be a bit selfish.  And TBH it is tough at times, because what I wanted was a happy family and relationship!  So now I've got to figure out fully how to live MY life.  Something perhaps I needed to do, so my GIDX has done me a favour.  I get to do what I want. 

Good luck!  What is it you love to do?  I'm off dancing tonight.... 

Board footera