OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2016 3:05 am  #1

Failed to recover

Where to begin?  I am the ex wife of a transsexual who took the decision to transition whilst I was pregnant and without any reference to anyone. This is decades ago but the repercussions have been enormous and I have never had any support.  I was a very young, insecure and vulnerable person when we married. My father had died when I was 11 and I had no other male relatives in my life. I was sent to boarding school which was not a happy experience and left with no qualifications and no friends. In retrospect the signs were always there but hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing!  His family, especially his mother, were ambitious for their children and they did not rate me so was a bit surprising they were content that we marry. The reason i later discovered was that she knew he had a strong feminine side and had been cross dressing, this concerned her so a wife would make everything look 'normal and respectable'. We married in 1972, a long time before such issues were openly discussed or indeed generally known about.  The way he 'came out' was in my face and without warning and he imagined that i would stay with him and all would be fine. I was devastated and in shock.His mother wanted him to change his mind and for me to just carry on as though nothing had ever happened. As usual my needs and dreams were of no consequence. She later walked out on me and I have had no contact since then.
I came to realise that my ex was always selfish and my needs were never met. We are divorced. I now know I was lied to all my married life and used as a role model for my ex to become a woman. So even my core identity was not safe. For reasons i do not wish to disclose there has been a family crisis in my life and I am on the floor again. I try to be kind and generous and have sacrificed everything for my family. Mug, oh yes! I am profoundly unhappy, desperately lonely and chronically depressed. I do not need advice, I have now found a therapist who is the best one I have ever found. I just need to hear a friendly 'voice' who can understand my pain and how I got to here.  

Last edited by jk (June 15, 2016 3:07 am)

June 15, 2016 11:00 am  #2

Re: Failed to recover

JK,

I wanted to reply as soon as I was at a proper keyboard.

So glad you found a therapist...we need to talk to a third party for our sanity.    

I'm feeling lonely a bit lately too... that despite a loving family and support system... it comes and goes.   I'm slowly realizing that despite feeling loved in my marriage that perhaps I was never really loved.     Well at least in the way an authentic person loves someone.  Gay or not  my lezex  (ex seems to give her too much merit) has all the behavior and symptoms of a classic narcissist..covert or otherwise.   As such I may have been the recipient of her false persona for decades..

But you/we are not alone...you have a yourself...you have a God.   We are capable of on fierce absolute love..something our gay exes can never possess or be.    I think we need to all treat ourselves to something/anything kind and know we are great worthy people.    We just fell in with the wrong spouses.

E-hugs (genuine and authentic)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 15, 2016 11:20 am  #3

Thank you Rob.  Classic narcissist and sociopath sums up my ex.  All I evey wanted was to love, be loved and everyone to be happy but there we are! My ex always looked like the cat that got the cream whilst I let them have their own way at my expense in so many things.  I always try to be kind, generous and tolerant and it appears that makes me vulnerable. I am now totally alone except for my dog and I do not feel one bit kindly about myself. I am so sorry you are feeling lonely and wish you every happiness.

June 15, 2016 7:52 pm  #4

jk-  

You've found your way to the right place for support.  There are hundreds of people here who have already walked the dark path you're on that can offer you both support and advice in addition to that you're getting from your therapist.

I was reeling and feeling as lost as you when I was at your stage of my challenging road toward growth.  I found  Wendy’s Recovery map offered  perspective on my path ahead:   http://www.southfloridaconnects.com/uploads/2/4/5/9/2459046/wendys_recovery_map_2012.pdf  
Your confidence will return in short order now that you're dealing with TRUTH, rather than the noxious GAS LIGHTING your duplicitous spouse fed you.  Until confidence returns, "Fake it til you make it!"  Meaning: Believing in yourself is key to overcoming challenge. So, even if you don't feel confident, pretend you are until you gain the experience or tools necessary to be the strong person you are in side.  That will come soon, as a wise person said, 'You only discover how strong you are when that's your only choice.'  

Advice: 1) Assemble your professional lawyer, therapist, doctor team, 2) Keep him out and away so you have space to grow and 3) keep your sympathy and finances for yourself. 

You have a brilliant new life ahead just beyond your 1) understanding, 2) acceptance, and 3) hard work. 

Pray, exercise, rejoice, get the best lawyer, divorce ASAP, build a wiser life.
Best wishes for a fabulous future. 
Come back often.

- John

June 15, 2016 10:52 pm  #5

Hello, I am a transgender who has been married to the same woman for over twenty years. It maybe you will never be able to place yourself in your spouses shoes. It's possible he/she will never really open up in a way that you can both understand. In my case I made a personal oath always to be faithful to my wife, and answer any questions based on our private life that she has. I also found it necessary to turn my will over to her and our marriage. Being transgender can make for  a delusional egotism. In my case our marriage had to be matriarchal for it to work. Somehow we isolate ourselves in this willfulness that tells us we can do whatever we please, even if it means someone else is being hurt.
      My wife has shared that having  a gay spouse really is not that easy, she finds it a little more fun, and a little more rewarding in having the lead role, but says that she does not reach out to others in general, about our married life. I am pleased that based on agreement my being faithful is my way of showing her unconditional love, but as she can be the first testify, having all the power does not necessarily mean she is always comfortable, or able to understand my prerogatives  in our sharing female values, as they relate to our married life.
         My transitioning took place over time, and with her consolation through the course of our marriage. If I didn't express my concern, and interest for her during each step that we took together it may never have worked out. Transitioning is actually incremental, and has to be brought to the surface at each stage of the game. For a husband just to come out as a transvestite without being in counseling himself may mean he is out for  a kind of  a joy ride, and has not reached that level of marital pride which means having  a gay marriage, in which roles are decided upon with each others interest in mind.
       Marriage is still a shared responsibility, the identity change you describe shows a person who is a little immature in that they do not feel they can trust being honest with themselves or others. At this point if you feel something prevents you from seeing him as a person, or if he is not able to express his needs and interests to you, than you may find the loss of communication may make the hope of staying married pointless. I feel he has to be giving of himself and consider your feelings first . It is important in his recent coming out to make decisions together with terms you can agree on.
        If you feel his inclination is somehow unnatural or contradicts your set of values you may just have to make a settlement in leaving him/her. I can relate to your sadness though, and I hope you do not feel we are all just of a queer type, in my being with my straight spouse as a transgender I felt a lot of sadness and grieving myself, in letting go of past friendships and family who were less understanding than she, and who were not completely satisfied with my admission of being gay, but as time would tell my marriage to  a completely wholesome woman prevailed, and sometimes the only risks we take are in seeing how it is us against the world, and believing that together we can make all the difference.  

June 16, 2016 12:05 am  #6

I read your post with interest Robben.  I have no problem in general with anyone whether they are straight or not but I do have with someone who lied, was deceitful and demonstrated a total selfish disregard for anyone other than themselves. I reckon that is a reasonable standpoint? I am divorced and live totally alone except for my dog. I think I have PTSD due to the torture my ex put me through. Not great when a partner one day, without any discussion, puts on more feminine clothes and then to discover they had also unilaterally started taking hormone tablets. I was also pregnant but that did not stop my partner rushing out to gay discos with a lesbian and leaving me in bits sobbing at home. It was then full steam ahead to book for surgery. There is lots more but I think that demonstrates that my feelings did not count and there was no communication. My baby was born prematurely and I already had a toddler.  My ex was almost universally given congratulations on their bravery and new life and no one was interested in how I might feel. Your term, delusional egotism certainly rings a bell with me. I happen not to be gay.  I am a lonely, broken straight woman who was treated with no respect or compassion. My ex is apparently happy now, has a lesbian partner who is minimally older than my elder daughter and she has two children by different gay dads. Do I care? Am I bitter or jealous? Nope. I just cannot seem to recover and currently I am in a very bad depression. It is though good that I am being listened to and can say this in a safe space. I sincerely wish you and your wife well.

June 16, 2016 7:27 am  #7

Robben..your spouse sounds like a saint to me to put up with so much from you.  But if your not cheating on her and have a happy marriage great.

JK,

Your story is more horrible than mine ...my lezex basically just started cheating with her girlfriend ...but we have great similarities...   my lezex unilaterally started having the affair and distancing herself from me..there was no indication that she was unhappy in our marriage..she claims that now as an excuse but I know deep down she knows what she did and she knows I would have done anything for her.
With her unilateral decision  it was full stream ahead..she wants a divorce..ok...but she's still here and I don't know where "I'm gay and love this lady and I want a divorce" equates to..."you are garbage and  I deserve all your money and property and you don't deserve anyone in your life or to be alive.."..  ie. I'm gay so I can act evil.

If makes you feel better JK I'd date you sight unseen if you lived  by me.  Your not alone.  I can only hope your dog is a trained German Shepard that will protect you from your ex and attack him on command...

Last edited by Rob (June 16, 2016 7:29 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 16, 2016 8:18 am  #8

Oh yes i managed to delete my well thought out reply! Need to take my beautiful, gentle, cocker spaniel for a walk right now. He too had love withdrawn and was cast out of his home. He knows I am sad and we do our best to comfort each other. He curls up beside me and I take him for long walks along the river and provide the biscuits. 
It means so much to me that I have been listened to, thank you

Last edited by jk (June 16, 2016 8:18 am)

June 17, 2016 12:29 am  #9

Dear JK,

The spectrum of homosexuality is filled with trauma, I feel sorry that he has not come out of his and is causing you to experience this trauma yourself. His life sounds filled with confusion and chaos. It does not sound like he belongs in a marriage. My wife by her own testimony had  a difficult time relating with people as a social worker. Gay men seemed to entertain her and were naturally attracted to her personality. She says it would have been harder for her to stay in a marriage if I wasn't gay. She doesn't believe in heterosexuality but she is not  a lesbian. She does respect my chastity and fidelity in the agreed terms we have established in a gay marriage that still gives us strength and self esteem.
Your husband took you for granted, and somehow had a tremendous fear of being caught, in a way he is scared of you, and the truth, and in a way he is trying to get even with you for not being someone who you can't possibly be. Being gay is not toxic but somehow your ex can't face his sexuality, he is turning in hysteria hoping there may be a way out of his closet of denial. It maybe he wishes he could come out with you and stay with you, but he has already lied and shown disrespect. I hope that feeling you have that you cannot recover does not last. Do not fear or hate your husband with contempt understand him as the sick person, and decide you can not live with the turmoil he creates. He sounds very much like an addictive personality. Do not blame yourself for having taken up with him. He is running from his responsibility to you. It may be you will have to leave him for your own sanity. If you choose to do this. You will see it is not only about sexuality but also commitment. Your ex was only doing what he was made to believe was the right thing to do for himself. He was wrong to drag you down. Forgive yourself and let him go.

Sincerely,

Robben   

June 17, 2016 1:16 am  #10

Thank you Robben.  the truth is that my ex was and probably still is totally selfish all round and takes nil responsibility for the hell they put me through. My life would indeed be easier and happier if I could move on. I know the theory and what is needed but somehow I think this is partly because we have children, partly because I am aware that my ex would still like to be part of my life even though we have not spoken in years and partly because I have not been able to fully grieve. I think my ex is a-sexual and it was never their plan that I could have my freedom to live a life that fulfilled my needs and dreams. My ex played on my tolerance and respect for people regardless of their sexual orientation, race or anything else and accused me of being a nasty person because I had the courage to stand up for myself for once. I have also never found a straight couple who can understand any of this. Yes I torture myself!  Have recently had one therapist session and hopeful that at last I have found one who 'get it' and may be able to help me get some resolution and peace. 
It was kind of you to take time to listen to me and I wish you both happiness.

Board footera