OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2017 6:04 pm  #1

I don't feel this is the best thing to do...

I feel like I shouldn't have been so public on my worries, and sufferings. Sorry. This probably is not the best route to go. It will make things much worse for me. I probably should find somebody local to speak to or privately inside this forum...but not so public. It will be like putting gasoline on the fire to show my feelings outwardly. Thanks and sorry.

Last edited by No Joy (September 2, 2017 5:34 am)

September 1, 2017 7:16 pm  #2

Re: I don't feel this is the best thing to do...

Hello NJ,
Sorry for your horrible situation, but glad you found us. You will get lots of support here. Take what you choose to. First of all, this situation is never going to change, and the only changes that are going to be made will need to come from you.  We are all in different stages of slogging our way through this mess, and I can attest it isn't easy. Many of us left after many decades of marriage, not knowing exactly what we were dealing with. But many of us have come out to the other side, and you can too.  You have a lot more control than you think right now! You need to confide in someone, a relative or close friend, you don't need to keep his secret. Reach out the the Straight Spouse Network to see if there is a face to face group in your area. That was invaluable to me in the beginning when I was so raw.  See a lawyer to find out your rights, most offer a free consultation, and a doctor to deal with health issues. The first step is the hardest, but you can do it, and the more little steps you take, the more empowered you will feel. Keep posting, we are here to listen.

September 1, 2017 7:24 pm  #3

No Joy,

It is not you.  I repeat just so you know... it is not you..   You describe a spouse devoid of empathy, feelings or caring..   a narcissist.

When I cried  my  gay now ex:
a.)  Scolded me saying not to cry in front of the kids
b.) Said  I needed professional help.
c.) Called me a cry baby..
...  this while cheating on me.

We are authentic people...we cry when we are hurt.    These spouse are indifferent...inhuman.    The fact is he is hurting you  and deflecting the blame back on you.    

I can't help much with official organization ..there is a battered woman hotline in my state   (I satistified many of the "battered" criteria in their phamplet).      You need to build a support system by reaching out to friends, family, doctor, priest.    You have nothing to be ashamed of.    Its all small steps.  You taken one by writing in here.    Start by not engaging with him...start distancing yourself.

a kind e-hug.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 1, 2017 7:39 pm  #4

No Joy

Tell me about your situation with regards to being stuck due to finances. Do you have a job? Do you have children together? Do you own a home together? Are there any friends or relatives you could live with for a while?

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 1, 2017 10:14 pm  #5

Welcome No Joy. 

I am looking forward to they day we can remove the word NO from your username.  Hopefully we can help you get there.  

I'm so glad you signed up and shared your feelings.  I think most of us have found that writing things out and sharing them (even in an anonymous setting) is incredibly helpful and therapeutic for us. 

I hate that you seemed trapped in your current setting.  It sounds like you have made up your mind that you are no longer able to stay where you are.  I'm so sad that you've given up so much of your life to this situation already.  How can we help you move forward?

One skill that a lot of us have is survival.  We are surviving the gay thing (TGT) and the financial issues and other struggles that often come with divorce and separation.  Many of us have even survived physical and mental abuse, STD's and other major issues.  We would love to offer our help and advice to see if we can assist you in planning a way forward.  

If you're not comfortable sharing personal details, you are welcome to use private messaging to contact Kel or myself or just about any of the people here on the forum.  

A few direct comments about your post:
Don't lose your faith in God. He is there for you and will see you through it.  Have courage and keep your faith and prayer life strong.  I questioned my faith and why God would allow me to endure such an awful struggle, but in the end it has strengthened my walk with him and offered me an opportunity to use my experience to help others.  I am confident that I will be blessed with great happiness in the future and I'm looking forward to it.  I pray this for you as well. 
I know exactly how you feel when you say that the man you loved never existed.  This is exactly how I feel about my ex.  She tricked me for 16 years and pretended to be a person.  I loved the person she pretended to be.. and then she changed completely into a horrible monster.  She walked away from God and from me and from our family.  
You asked about anger going away.  Mine hasn't yet.. but it's only been a year for me.  I can tell you that it has diminished.  I know others who can honestly say they are no longer angry.  Physical distance is a huge help in the healing process.  You won't begin to truly heal until you are away from him.  Let's figure out how to help make that happen. 

A couple more pieces of advice to share if I may.. 
It's ok to not be ok.  It's ok to cry.  If you are suffering from depression, anxiety attacks, lack of sleep, please go see a doctor and/or therapist and get help.  Please don't keep his secret if it harms you to do so.  You have every right to find and build a support network.   

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 1, 2017 10:27 pm  #6

One more experience that I share with you is hoping that God would convict my ex of her behavior and she would see the truth and repent.  What i found that is she went the opposite direction.  She changed her religious beliefs to accommodate her sinful desires.  She actually found a church and a pastor who told her that her affair with a married woman was ok.  

If I could offer you advice in this area, I would tell you it's best to allow God to deal with your husband in His own time.  You can and should pray for him, but don't expect to be able to change him yourself.  If anything he will stray further and he might never be fully convicted to the point where he shows the anguish and pain and remorse that he should be feeling.  

Rather than putting energy into fixing his relationship with God, put that energy into your own walk and your own path forward.  

One last thing.. I struggled with the idea that God hates divorce.  I spent a lot of time studying it and learned that there are times when this is acceptable.  Adultery is one and having them become unequally yoked and abandon their faith is another.  So you have both acceptable reasons.. so please don't feel any guilt over the desire to divorce. 

Keep sharing..  You are allowed to vent.. you can write paragraphs.. hundreds of posts.. a full book if you want.  

and work on that lasagna recipe..  the way to man's heart..  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 1, 2017 11:55 pm  #7

It's great that you are able to pour out all of this pain into words.  Great therapy.  Keep doing it.  I hope you find that it's helpful. 

Time to focus on you and your life and your future.  What are you going to do for yourself?

Have you taken any time to start to research divorce law in your state?  When you think you are ready, you can meet with some attorney's and get free or low cost consultations and start learning more about the process.  You seem concerned with financial issues, but most states protect spouses by awarding alimony for a period of time to help you get back on your feet.  

I know first hand how devestating this situation is.  But I want you to have some hope.. life will get better.  You might find that you are very happy single, or you might want another man in your life.  Either way life will get better.  You just have to pass through this storm to get there. 

September 2, 2017 6:14 am  #8

NJ,
No apologies are needed. When you are ready, we are here. As Phoenix said, many of us have come through horrific circumstances and survived. My ex is currently awaiting sentencing on some despicable legal charges which have been splashed multiple times on the front page of the paper and on the news. Public humiliation for myself and kids over and over. But you can move out and forward, and you have already taken an awesome first step. Keep walking.

September 2, 2017 7:00 am  #9

Joy,

It can be therapeutic just to tell your story here.    One cannot keep things bottled up forever.     Know that there are kind folks here that will listen..

September 2, 2017 7:02 am  #10

Pheonix,

" ..She actually found a church and a pastor who told her that her affair with a married woman was ok.  .."

We can't make these stories up can we..   the ethics and morals they operate on are so different than ours..
That's why when my kids mention anything that is going on in the other house  I cover my ears and sing "lalalala:    Dont want to know.    

I wish no vengeance in this life or the next...just want to be left alone.

Board footera