OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2017 10:55 pm  #1

I don't know how to move on...

I feel like cutting contact with my husband would help me move on. But there's one issue, we have 2 kids together. We want to be friends so co-parenting will be easy as possible.

But I feel like I'm getting my hopes up. Always hoping he'll change his mind and say he's not gay and want to be with me again. He's moving out next week. Earlier than we had planned. It's a good and bad thing in my eyes. I wanted him to stay longer for the kids, and myself. I don't like living alone. I also want him moved out so I can try and move on and have a life of my own again.

Sometimes I feel like he cares how I feel. Then when he's around other people he just acts like a total as*hole. I feel like I'm going to be alone forever. It's been almost a month and I still haven't told my mother yet. He wants to wait until he's completely moved out. But I feel like once we get to that point, he'll still say "don't tell her yet"

He doesn't want anyone mad at him. I get it. But I'm overly sensitive, and I'm the baby of my family. Of course my mother is going to be upset/mad that he broke my heart.

I'm slowly getting jealous. His phone is constantly going off with texts from friends, and potential male sex partners. And I've talked to a few people. But nothing like he does.

I don't know what to do anymore...

August 28, 2017 2:32 am  #2

Re: I don't know how to move on...

Jenncboone, so sorry you find yourself here but given you situation would be happening whether or not you're here, here is a good place to be, to get advice from others who've been down or are going through this process.

He doesn't get to decide other people's emotions towards what he's done, that's not for him to control or decide. You need to tell your mother (or whoever else) when YOU decide, NOT him. Please don't let him dictate what you do, it's not about him anymore, he's made it about him long enough, now it's your time. Your mother is entitled to be mad/hurt/angry, why wouldn't she be? And why would he think she shouldn't be? He more than likely wants to be removed from the house etc prior to any of your family finding out so he's not in the direct firing line! Too bad sunshine, he's made his decisions and now he has to live with the consequences!

It sounds like your children are young and you'll need to have interactions with him over them, it would be better if this could be done amicably, it is possible but he needs to show you respect.

These people make it all about them and their struggles and try to minimise what's been done to you, don't fall for this, set your boundaries and stick to them.

Of course you feel like you'll be alone forever, you're still in the shock phase if it's only a month but this won't last forever, there's a lot more phases to go through yet! You're probably a lot younger than a lot of us here (I was over 30 years with my ex) and there is life beyond TGT, you just can't see it now because of the fog you're in, don't be too hard on yourself. 

Keep posting and I'm sure there'll be lots of great advice coming your way! Take care of yourself, you need to be the strong parent for your children as this progresses!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

August 28, 2017 6:34 am  #3

Jenn,

First ..tell your mom.  Do not hide what HE did.  To this day my gay ex will act I did something wrong and I caused her to become gay and have a gay affair. This is not your fault ..repeat after us..this is not your fault. 

Alone forever.  That is relative.  I'd rather be alone forever than with someone that is constantly betraying me and hurting me.  Think of the jealousy you have over his texts..you want to get far away from a person that does that to you.  We love them but they have rejected us..and moreover they feel ok hurting us..

There are no take backs with TGT..where he gets a text is it a friend wanting to have a beer or sex?  Why should you have to wonder? 

I know the feeling of being discarded all too well...we have trauma bonding or insane loyalty...we want them to pick us.
But they are not gods that one must beg after...they are actually very morally flawed people..  alone away from them you'll find in awhile is much better.

No contact..just no contact..he is is not worthy of your time energy or thoughts...  I have kids with the my gx and our contact is minimal...terse on subject communication about the kids.. 
I practice gray rock with her..my communication is minimal.sometime she throws in rage or insults...all kinds of things I want to reply but it will only give grief..  no contact...if he text you and it's not about the kids ..do not reply..crickets..silence. 

Maybe in time you can be friends but right now you need space and time away from your abuser.  One does not visit their mugger the next day in jail for tea..

A kind ehug

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 28, 2017 9:37 am  #4

Jenn, 

You are going to get similar advice from most of us I think. 

1.)  Having him move our early will be a blessing.  It will help you move on.  You need distance to heal.  It will be harder than you think at first, but very quickly that will turn and you will find peace and be happier.  The distance is so good.  After a month of having my ex gone it felt like 6 months.   Start thinking of ways to redecorate your house and make it your own. 

2.)  You don't owe him secrecy.  You don't owe him anything.  He chose the selfish route (not just when he disclosed.. he did it when he married you).  Don't keep his secret it it is harming your life.  He is not putting you first, so you need to do that for yourself.  Tell your mother or anyone else as soon as you are comfortable.  He needs to realize that there are repercussions from his actions.  He doesn't get to wreck your life and have you protect him.

3.)  You don't have to be friends to be effective co-parents.  You don't even have to be amicable.  You only need to have the kids best interest as priority and be respectful to each other.   My ex and I are not on good terms..  actually we are on no terms at all.  We communicate ONLY about the kids.. when to pick up, what they need, etc.  We trade days occasionally and adjust schedules once in a while and are respectful and polite in these cases.  We know that doing a favor will be returned with another favor later.  But we have zero personal interaction and zero communication about anything other than required for the kids..  and it's great!  The boys are doing excellent and that's the only thing that matters in this area.  

4.)  Let the jealousy go.. his life is not tied to yours anymore other than as a parent of your kids.  Do not get to the point where your happiness is somehow tied to his unhappiness.  That will leave you as a bitter shell of a woman.  He may seem happy now but the teenage phase will wear off.  You do you..  focus on yourself.  Find peace and happiness.  Heal.  When you are ready you will find a new man and you will live a happy life.. or maybe you will decide that you are happy by yourself.  Find happiness.. you deserve it! 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 28, 2017 11:08 am  #5

Hi Jenn,

I think most of us start out wanting to remain friends with our spouse after a break-up.  Whether straight or gay.  I think some of us with gay spouses even think it'll be easier than if they were straight - because none of their future partners will ever consider us a threat.  I know literally ZERO individuals who's remained anything beyond cordial after a divorce.  Even those are far and few between.  It's for several reasons.  First and foremost is that they haven't been a good friend to you in keeping you in the dark about what's going on in your own marriage.  Oftentimes, they've lied to and deceived us to keep this secret.  That's not how a friend acts - ever.  And so it becomes obvious that keeping them as a friend isn't really realistic - they they haven't been a real friend to us for a while, despite how they tried to make it look like they were.  The other part is because once you separate and have your own trajectories to travel along, those pathways don't always line up with how the other person's plan is going.  There is a lot of compromise after divorce - especially in the one remaining barrier - the children.  You will both always have had differing opinions on how to raise them, but you needed to cooperate and make sacrifices so that you could meet in the middle, because your relationship depended on it, as did the harmony within the home.  That's no longer true.  Sometimes one partner (typically the gay on) goes through a period that mimics adolescence - where it's all about them, and them having freedom, and them having all the focus on what they want.  And during that time period (which quite frankly, sometimes never ends for some of them), they will be inconvenienced by things that are expected of them - like spending time with their own children.  The kids get in the way of their lifestyle.  And so there are issues that crop up that would never have been issues within the marriage.  Being friends would make dealing with that stuff even more difficult.  It's bad enough when you have to agree on both your behaviors for the sake of the kids.  To do so while trying to maintain a friendship too is very difficult.

The other thing is that you don't NEED to be friends.  I parent with my ex despite us not having an active friendship.  For a long while in the beginning of the break-up, I acted as though we were friends.  That mean that I gave things to him to show him my intentions - I altered my giving constantly to accommodate his needs.  I was used to that, after all - being married.  I gave him time to come up with child support, which seemed to never come.  I felt that if I could be good time him, he'd do the same for me.  It didn't happen that way.  He took and took and took, and I just kept giving.  At some point, I should have seen him giving back, but I never did.  He was comfortable with me trying so hard to be good to him.  Despite him saying I was his best friend, I never felt he was treating me as well as I'd treat a stranger at the f'ing bus stop.  So I quit that.  It's much easier demanding that you be treated well when you're not worried about hurting the other person's feelings.  It's much easier for you to stand up for your kids when you're not worried about how doing so will affect your friendship with your ex.

It's entirely possible that the two of you could wind up being friends.  And if that's the way it works out, then fine.  But don't try so hard to make that happen.  It should be expected that the two of you will need some time apart (completely) in order to get clear on what each of you wants for yourself, and how you intend to go about leading your new life.  If your friendship was meant to be, then it will be.  You two won't need to try super hard at it being a friendship - it'll happen naturally.  And if it doesn't, then it wasn't meant to be.  Let it unfold organically.

Make sure you're not trying to be friends because of fear not to.  Fear drives a LOT of the decisions we make.  It's entirely okay to be friends with someone because it works well for the two of you.  Just don't get that confused with remaining friends because you are fearful to lose them.  It's GONNA be okay.  You will be fine.  You literally cannot and should not try to support each other through this upcoming time.  It's impossible to help someone get over you.  It just doesn't work that way.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

August 29, 2017 5:21 am  #6

NO Kel. I don't think "most of us wanted to remain friends with our spouses after they did this to us."

That's ABSURD. Nobody wanted to offer a friendship to someone that lied and destroyed our marriages. Trust is valued in every friendship, not just marriage.

You can't make a friend out of someone who has so little regard for the marriage you are in with them. By the same token, your husband isn't a friend. He's a husband and considerably higher and more valuable on the relationship scale. Not many friends have sex with each other but spouses do. 

Last edited by Judy (August 29, 2017 5:27 am)

August 29, 2017 5:24 am  #7

Jenn,

Get through one day. Don't look down the road. You're still building the road and it's going to change greatly in the near future. You can have contact with him about the kids. Treat it like anyone else you speak to about the kids (i.e. teachers, doctors, nurses-those who care for them).  It's so easy to be overwhelmed in this. Live in day tight compartments. One day at a time. Just make sure you are on the path to seeing better days. 

You've done the right thing for you and the kids. Good for you. 

Judy

August 30, 2017 10:04 am  #8

Judy,

You're right - we shouldn't want to offer a friendship to someone that isn't being decent to us.  It doesn't make sense.  And yet, I've seen it time and time again here on this board.  I've seen people who want to help their GID spouse through that trial/journey, to their own detriment.  It's very plain from the outside looking in that not only isn't their GID spouse being a good friend to the st8 spouse, but that if both partners concentrate on the GID spouse's needs, no one will be looking out for the st8 spouse.  I see a lot of encouraging going on here all.the.time on that point alone - that we need to engage in self-care, even though our inclination is to help someone we love through their hard time.

As far as spouses go, they can be both a spouse and a friend.  I say that because I have one who is both, and I had one that was not a friend.  The man I'm currently married to is the person that I most want to share news with - both good and bad.  I laugh with him a ton.  I'd want to have him for a friend if I never had him as someone I loved.  I can't say that about my ex, though.  He was my husband, and I did often tell him things.  But he wasn't my best friend.  I think for a lot of us, we have come to think of our spouse as both.  And it scares us to think of not having that person around to talk to, to comfort us, to help with loneliness.  We want to keep THOSE things, even if we can't keep the part where we live together and share intimacy.  And I get that.  I just happen to think it's impossible to have a friendship with someone who is not being good to you - who is lying to you, cheating on you, living a double life.  The word friendship needs to mean more than companionship with someone you share a history with.  It has to imply that they have your best interest in mind.  If that can't happen, you can't really have a true friend out of the situation.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (August 30, 2017 10:06 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera