OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2017 4:18 am  #1

SSN Support closer to home

I took another step last weekend...and asked about online support in NZ. I feel like I've 
raised my head above the parapet, where I can be seen. Because up til now it's been
on a messageboard with strangers (you guys ) and nobody knows who I am. But now...
I think....I'm about to reveal, although via email, more of who I am and my situation. 

It feels a bit weird.....scary

KIA KAHA                       

August 21, 2017 9:44 am  #2

Re: SSN Support closer to home

Good for you.  You do whatever it takes to be happy and work through this!  Of course, be careful of anyone online and don't share personal information unless you're 100% ok with it being public.  But if it's SSN related then I'm sure it's fine! 

August 21, 2017 11:50 am  #3

That's a good step forward Ellexoh.  As long as you feel comfortable, keep moving forward.   More support is always good. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 21, 2017 4:10 pm  #4

Good for you..   when I was going through this I reached out to my local SSN ...it was just too much for me to  process.    It was helpful in 2 ways;
-  It was helpful meeting people that went through this and understood.    That could calm my shaking
- It was real eye opener to meet kind authentic people who were the polar opposite of my gay, raging, cheating spouse.   It really made me see how horrible my spouse was...how morally corrupt she was 
in what she was doing and how she was treating me.

Last edited by Rob (August 21, 2017 4:11 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 22, 2017 1:47 am  #5

Uh-oh....so I filled out the "contact us" form, mailed it away, received a reply pretty quick asking for my 
name and a bit of info. I said Ellexoh was the name I used on the forum (and skirted around my reluctance 
to say too much). Received a reply telling me to gain acceptance in a closed SSN-Facebook group I'd 
have to divulge my name, which means my friend/family list? 

Gulp! might be a step too far...

KIA KAHA                       

August 22, 2017 2:14 am  #6

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 3:28 pm)

August 22, 2017 3:59 am  #7

Duped wrote:

That doesn't sound right at all Ellexoh, I'm guessing it's not affiliated to this site. I would give that one a miss tbh, you should be able to be anonymous if you want. Can you make a separate 'fake' Facebook account with a random real sounding name so you can sign up as that?

Surely it must be affiliated to this site though. The link I emailed was on the SSN website..! under 
"how to find Support"

KIA KAHA                       

August 22, 2017 5:37 am  #8

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 3:28 pm)

August 22, 2017 8:17 am  #9

To join a private facebook page there must be a facebook account.  
It's very easy to set up an anonymous facebook page.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 23, 2017 5:03 pm  #10

Ellexoh wrote:

Received a reply telling me to gain acceptance in a closed SSN-Facebook group I'd 
have to divulge my name, which means my friend/family list? 
Gulp! might be a step too far...

Not sure we have a contact in NZ these days, we have in the past. If they sent you an Australian contact (seems close enough from here) I think I might know who it might be. If so a good person.

At any rate, there are several secret FB groups, some more or less affiliated with SSN. What you should know about them is:

You need to be invited by a member of the group.
If you join, your friends/family won't be able to tell you are a member, secret group posts and membership don't show up on your timeline.
Members of the group can't see your friends, unless you "friend" them.

However, for maximum privacy, I would follow Phoenix' advice and make a new FB profile using whatever name you choose, friend the contact, and the contact can invite you. 

Board footera