OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2017 10:29 am  #1

Mid-summer; time for a check in from everyone

Tell us where you're at - the good, the bad, the hopes, the progress, the backsliding, the crying, the joys.  All of it.  Give us updates, guys.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 19, 2017 12:46 pm  #2

Re: Mid-summer; time for a check in from everyone

Kel,
   Your "update request" came at the perfect time for me, first because I've been without internet access for about ten days and just got it back today, and second because my time out alone--I wrote about this "time out" back in June--is coming to a close, and I will be leaving for home next week.
  I've spent the last six weeks away from home and on my own.  I had hoped to use this time to try out what life will be like when I am divorced, to rediscover what my life is like, and who I am, when I'm not obsessing over my husband's cross dressing and desire to feminize himself.  What I discovered was that my hopes were too optimistic, that I wasn't yet able to stop thinking or processing.  However, it was incredibly freeing to be away from the daily stress of living with my husband and his hidden wardrobe of women's clothes, which I've come to think of my own version of Poe's "tell-tale heart."  I don't think I'd fully understood just how stressful life at home with him, in his closet, had become.  Because I was alone, the thinking and processing I did do have been productive and clarifying, and I am more ready and able to face what I have to face and to take the next necessary next step, which for me will be to see a lawyer, which I expect to do in the next month (there is more travel to do this summer, to see my family, and I have only a week's window between when I return home and leave again, so depending on scheduling, this may not happen until later in August).
   I realize this is a pretty bloodless summary, and therefore unsatisfying; there is much to be said in details, but that's going to have to come out in the next few days.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 19, 2017 12:47 pm)

July 19, 2017 1:14 pm  #3

OOHC - what you say about thinking and processing makes perfect sense.  Your brain will not stop processing this for a long time.  But, I can promise you that the processing becomes less and less over time until one day you realize you just don't care to process the information any more and...it will leave you.  That's not to say you won't have a passing thought about it now and then, but it won't dominate your free time anymore and it just won't matter.  Even without TGT, my brain is constantly on processing overload.  It's a good thing for me and it's why I'm really good at my job.  Unfortunately, when you have one of those brains you can't pick and choose what it constantly processes.  After you have your own life, are completely separate from him, and the divorce is final, it will stop.  I want to say that "peace" started a year after the divorce was final.  The processing stopped and my mind was finally free. 

Now....what am I up to mid-summer?  Well - starting over yet again.  I'm 4 1/2 years post divorce, something like 6 years post separation, and on my third try of a serious relationship.  While I had hoped this would be the final one, I kind of knew after the first six months that I was trying to make it fit.  Settle, if you will.  I'm not going to lie.  This part sucks.  Setting out alone again and having to go thru all the BS of dating gets old.  BUT these feelings mean I just need to take a break from dating, reconvene, pull up my big girl panties, and get on with it.  The one thing I know is that I do want to find a partner and I'm not going find one sitting on my couch crying in my rice krispies.  So while I need to take a few weeks to be sad I also know that I need to suck it up after that and get back out there.  And that is where I am, mid-summer.

July 19, 2017 2:28 pm  #4

OOHC - we've missed you!  I don't think it's a "bloodless summary" at ALL. 

I'm glad you had the time away.  It's interesting how it's helped you to separate out the stress of your husband's sexuality apart from the stress of living with him daily, though.  I think it's very useful.  I STILL deal with my ex's sexuality in that it broke up our marriage, and I still have some fallout to this day with regards to that (more on that below).  However, it's NOTHING like the stress that living with him every day was like for years.  At this point in the game (re-married for four years as of tomorrow), my mind literally never travels to my ex with regards to our relationship and how that betrayal felt.  Those are all fading scars now.  It literally never hurts me actively any longer.  Living with him would still be hurting me every day if I were still doing so.  And so would the sexuality - because it'd be an active part of what continued to hurt me about him not wanting me.  I've been over that hurdle for a loooong time now.

My issues stem around my ex's current partner, and how his desires with regards to my kids' visitation is taking over what my ex is doing.  For a good year or more now, things have been ramping up in this area.  I wasn't sure why - I tend to think of incidents in life as being individual events, and I can forgive them and move on.  (It's part of why I stayed so long).  But when I stand back and look at the big picture, my ex has been increasingly uninvolved with the kids in any way except for his weekend visitation.  He came to my daughter's grade school graduation, but other than that, he doesn't go to anything else - nothing school-related, etc.  He USED to.  My kids are now 14 and 16 (with my oldest having aged out of visitation).  This is a man who threatened to try to get primary custody from me, and now it seems immaterial to him if he sees them or not.  They seem to crimp his plans with his bf, and are therefore just tolerated.

My kids used to go with their dad every-other weekend.  Now my 16 year-old has a new job (at a grocery store), and works mostly weekends.  So he doesn't want to go to his dad's - Dad lives 40 minutes away.  My daughter is "over" her father, as she says.  She hasn't seen him in at least a month - by her own choice.  She would have gone this weekend if her brother would have, but she "doesn't feel comfortable going alone".  I've tried to drill down into that a bit more - WHY do you not feel comfortable?  Because that needs to be addressed.  She is either unwilling to share, or unable to process exactly why she feels that way.  Regardless, it means her staying home.  My current husband and I used to have every-other-weekend together just for us.  We miss that - he more than me.  Every time the kids decide not to go to their dad's, or my ex decides that he can't have them on a visitation weekend, my current husband looks like I gut-punched him.  I both understand and resent him for feeling this way.  I was the mother of 3 kids when you met me, and I still am.  I was not single and childless.  It's a package deal, buddy.  And yet, as I said, I do get it.  He married me (despite all my baggage) because he wanted to be with ME.  Not because he was dying to never have a break from kids.  Lol.  So I get it.  And yet.... get OVER it already.  The kids are both in H.S.  It's not like we can't go out without them.  But,... we typically don't.

If my ex had more of a set of balls, he could insist that his bf not run the relationship, AND the one between him and his own kids.  But he won't.  He is constantly underemployed, so he's dependent on his bf for survival.  So he'll do what it takes to stay with him.  He HAS a culinary degree, but claims it's "too stressful" of a job, so he continues to be a waiter at a Mexican restaurant close to where he lives.  If he would just try harder on the job front, he'd have more choices in other areas of his life.  But he won't - he never has, and he's not going to start now in his mid-40's.  The real losers in this scenario is the kids.  Well, they would be if they cared that they've somewhat lost that relationship.  As it is, they don't seem affected by it.  It's amazing how you really need to say very little to the kids, and they will eventually see the true colors of both their parents.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (July 19, 2017 2:31 pm)

July 19, 2017 7:08 pm  #5

First off Happy Anniversary Kel!

Where am I mid Summer? Divorced one week, it was very strange, the whole courtroom setting, the legality of it all. It ended just outside the courthouse with him asking if I had a minute, we shook hands, he wished me well for the future & said sorry it ended this way, no sorry for the deceit, infidelities or lies, just that it ended this way! I asked if I could offer him one last bit of advice regarding his children, he said yes, I said I wasn't having a go at him, just wanted to offer advice, OK said he. I then said that the snotty sarky texts to his children weren't getting him his desired result (he's very quick to shoot out texts!). WELL even though he said he'd listen to the advice it seemed to trip a switch, he went on a right narcissistic rant, I've poisoned two of our kids against him, I ruined our daughter's wedding.........on and on and on he went, I was waiting to be blamed for Brexit, global warming & Trump. Anything I said was met with vitriol and venom, my dear friend was standing close by with my solicitor, she could see how affected I was by this tirade, my solicitor asked was he "on something", it was nasty, then he almost self imploded & stormed off, after 33 years that's how it ended! I thought of Rob and the shaking, I was rattled to my core, couldn't engage with the conversation for the "celebration" afterwards, at least those present understood my quietness.

On the plus side I've a number of foreign trips planned for the remainder of this year (I honestly don't know how I'm going to fit in work lol) starting next week. I keep saying I'm going to look to the future now but then am kept regurgitating the past, it never seems to leave my mind. I'm hoping as Still Wondering said one day it'll just leave me, I hope that's true. Some nights I seem to be consumed by the whole lob sidedness of his thinking, everything is conveniently my fault. I read a quote recently "Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves". I think that'll be my tag line or quote! It's so true!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

July 19, 2017 8:03 pm  #6

Foolme,

So sorry it ended that way for you. Still congratulations..I will drink a glass of wine in toast to you.
For my divorce at the courthouse my lawyer went into the settlement meeting with my ex and her lawyer.  He shielded me from the tirade..coming out and asking me to agree or disagree with her demands.  My lawyer was worth every penny in his shielding me from her wrath...when my lawyer came out he said boy she's a raging maniac.  I knew it was not me.

Mid summer..
I'm 1 year divorced and finally stopped shaking...of course all it takes is some rage texts from her and I can get anxiety and tightness in the chest.  I try to say the mantra. .she can't hurt you anymore..your safe..   
I'm doing so much better. .getting used to my routines..my family has been great and I reconnected with friends I have not talked to (was not allowed) in years.
No great plans for the summer but I'm finding things to do.  I've learned that a mental health day every now and then is good.

Last edited by Rob (July 20, 2017 6:00 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 20, 2017 12:06 am  #7

Thanks for that Rob, CHEERS!!

We had our terms of settlement agreed and signed long before the divorce date, that date was just the final closure, I was told he didn't even have to turn up and didn't know until the day if he would or wouldn't. I tell myself if I'd just shaken hands and moved on, said nothing, it would have probably been better but in my true Libra being I was looking for some sort of balance, actually trying to get through to him what he's doing isn't improving relations with his kids, the opposite in fact, didn't work! As my friend pointed out he stormed off on him own to nothing, I have good friends and a relationship with my kids (& my numerous trips to look forward to).

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

July 20, 2017 9:38 am  #8

Foolme,

Just because he acted like he disagreed with your advice doesn't mean he won't take it heart at least somewhat.  He can't say no one told him that his communications with his kids are damaging.  He is acting defensive about his behavior because he either has no intention of changing his behavior in that area, or he feels that he cannot.  Okay - whatever.  You told him, he rejected the good advice.  He's an idiot.  We already knew this, right?  No big surprises there.

Personally, I would have loved that interaction - I'd have felt that I just walked out of divorce court - legally ending the relationship - and ONE SENTENCE from you can still unravel him.  Despite how he's acted, you can still get under his skin.  I consider that really good information for the future.  (insert evil, maniacal grin here)

Kel

July 20, 2017 9:51 am  #9

LOL Kel, love your comment there!! You're right, I should have looked at it as I can still unravel him I guess!!

The thing is I remember speaking to him years ago, waaaay prior to TGT about having a good adult relationship with his kids and if he wanted that he needed to change how he spoke to them (especially the girls), they recall I used to interpret what he said to what he actually meant (in other words I was trying to smooth over the waters with what inappropriate comment I felt he'd made). He didn't heed that advice. 

Over a year ago, after he'd left the family home he called in one day & I suggested to him he'd lose two of the kids if he didn't change how he spoke to them - his reply was "No I won't, why would I lose them?". He didn't heed that advice.

Both these kids (adults) have said to his face that I have nothing to do with their attitude towards him, what he was outed as being and his admission to doing and his lack of respect towards me. He ignored their comments.

He and his family love throwing it around that it's MY BITTERNESS that has them having an issue with him.

Foolishly I thought I'd try one last time to get him to see he's handling himself incorrectly towards them, he told me he thinks about them first thing in the morning and last thing at night and feels they should be making the effort with him, that they should have unconditional love for him and they should be able to have ADULT relationships with him, not parent/child ones! BOY, what a deluded jerk!!

July 20, 2017 10:11 am  #10

Because your children are adults, he should expect SOME reciprocation from them in wanting the relationship - IF they want one.  But kids don't end childhood one day and just jump to being mature adults.  It's a process.  If he's expecting them to act to him like his friends his age do, then he'll always be sorely disappointed.  My current dh has a bit of this problem with his young adult daughter (21).  He'll text her, she won't reply, and then he doesn't bother to reach out again, and then she's hurt when she's left out of some event.  It's BOTH their faults.  But he needs to stop thinking his 21 year-old daughter isn't going to act like the kid she is growing from.  Baby steps here, dude!

You can't fix it.  And you can't fix how his family sees you.  If they're willing to believe that your bitterness is what is the problem (when they've never seen a shred of such bitterness), then hey - they can go ahead and keep believing that shit.  It's difficult to not feel hurt that people see us different people than we actually are.  But if you need to fight to show someone who you are, then they really don't deserve you.  You aren't doing what they're accusing you of.  You can't make them believe that.  What they think of you is not your problem.  But don't do the "pick me" dance with your ex's family.  You don't need the stress.  Good riddance if they can't see who you really are and believe you'd never commit such atrocious acts.

Kel

Board footera