OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2017 7:23 pm  #1

20 Diversion Tactics Narcissists, Sociopaths And Psychopaths Use

A great summary article I came across - many of us have lived with this person.... remember, knowledge is power.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/shahida-arabi/2016/06/20-diversion-tactics-highly-manipulative-narcissists-sociopaths-and-psychopaths-use-to-silence-you/

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

May 30, 2017 7:52 pm  #2

Re: 20 Diversion Tactics Narcissists, Sociopaths And Psychopaths Use

Thanks Daryl, very nice summary. I soooo recognize this person LOL! Knowledge is definitely power. The more I learn about this personality trait, the less my ex is able to bother me.

May 30, 2017 8:59 pm  #3

Yep i got 20 tactics pulled on me..  I ended my marriage and relationship with my gay narcissist in complete silence.. i refused to get into any conversation with her..  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 30, 2017 9:36 pm  #4

Excellent. And as a reminder for those just starting this hellish journey, no contact, no contact, no contact. The more you practice it, it literally becomes second nature.

May 31, 2017 2:29 am  #5

Well now wasn't that a very interesting read, I'm going to save it. I've people asking me to explain narcissism and this is perfect (just like I always thought I was according to my very STBX) LOL!! Thanks for sharing Daryl

Last edited by Foolme (May 31, 2017 2:29 am)

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

June 30, 2017 9:20 am  #6

How important is no contact? I'm so fresh at this I don't even know what to think. I don't WANT no contact because I love my husband and I see him as a broken person who needs someone to love and understand him. I miss the children- they were his biologically.

He says I have these traits.

My mind....I just can't keep anything straight. (No pun intended)

June 30, 2017 2:20 pm  #7

When there are children involved or, as in this case, children you treat as if they are yours, no contact isn't completely possible. Then you have to ask yourself what the contact is about. Is it about the kids or really about him? There's nothing wrong with wishing him to get better but that's not your job anymore. He's an adult, he has to want this and take the steps needed. If you are subordinating your best interests to him, that is not healthy. You should read up on co-dependency and see if this sounds like you. Are the kids old enough to have smartphones and make some of their own choices? If so make sure they know they can always visit or text you as long as their Father is aware of where they are. I don't know if you have looked into any sort of counseling for yourself but I think you should. You are dealing with someone with no empathy and that is hard for a normal person to wrap their mind around when trying to figure out that person's actions and motivations.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 2, 2017 11:21 am  #8

Thank you. They do have phones and contact me regularly. Their dad contacts me for a lot of things, including the kids. He can barely handle them and they do not respect him. It's a really sad situation.

I am definitely codependent oriented. I read about it often and I'm aware that it is totally me. I start a new counselor next Thursday.

July 2, 2017 2:39 pm  #9

Thanks for posting this list, Daryl.  It's intense!  I've lived with every one of the things on that list.  Scary. 

Board footera