OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2017 12:56 am  #1

Falling to pieces

Finding out that the man you knew and loved for 22 years is going to turn into a woman really sucks.

Last edited by cudlescat (May 27, 2017 6:12 pm)

May 27, 2017 6:18 am  #2

Re: Falling to pieces

cudlescat
    I'm so sorry, but I'm glad you are here, where you can say whatever you're feeling without fear of judgment, and where in writing down your thoughts you can begin to get some clarity and control.  We have all gone through the same sense of shock and bewilderment.  You are not alone, and you will find in reading our stories situations and realizations that will ring true for you.  I say this from experience.  I, too, have a husband who after many years of marriage (33, in my case) suddenly sprung on me the declaration that he had decided he was transgendered and wanted to transition to life as (if he were) a woman.  I, too, heard the "I've felt this since I was a child" and experienced that sexual experimentation and high...until it became clear that my husband's version of "woman" was a sexist fantasy of feminine submissiveness and that the more he indulged in that fantasy the more he wanted and the more it spilled out of the bedroom.  
   I have been on this forum since last September (I got here after a year and a half spent in my husband's closet after his disclosure, so you're WAY ahead of me!), long enough now to have seen woman after woman writing in with similar versions of our stories--"my partner of XX years has decided he wants to be a woman; he is wearing my clothes and lingerie to bed; he is convinced that this is something he's felt since he was a young child; he wants to stay married to me and be in a 'lesbian' relationship and doesn't understand why I have a problem with this; he isn't thinking about our children or me or anything but himself."  
   What helped me was to learn that although it felt very very individual and personal, unique to my situation, my husband's behavior is part of a pattern, one with very clear outlines. My husband, and yours, too, I think you will discover, has a condition called "autogynephilia," or "the love of oneself as a woman."  It's a condition in which a man derives sexual pleasure from feminizing himself--wearing women's clothing, acting like a woman in bed, etc--and it has been well described in the psychological literature.  J. Michael Bailey's "The Man Who Would be Queen," which is available for free on the internet, contains a very good profile of the behaviors.  The work of Anne Lawrence (a MtF transwoman) is also useful and helpful.  Reading their work helped me to feel less lost at sea, because I saw that my husband fit a profile and was acting to pattern. I could see it from the outside and with an overview, rather than feeling it from inside the maelstrom at  home.  Reading the blog "Transwidow (My Only Path to Power)," also helped, in that I saw in her situation much that I was experiencing in mine.
   Now to some specifics of your post:
   You are not "insensitive."  Feeling angry and cheated is a rational response to what your husband has sprung on you.  Your husband, on the other hand, is not rational and is not capable of rationality.  He is suffering from dysphoria and wants only to get lost in the high he feels when in the "pink fog" of acting out and dressing up. Everything he says and does he will do in the service of that, which is why he gets angry when you bring reality into the discussion. That means you must be self-protective for yourself and your sanity and for your daughter.  
     It's unlikely your husband will see reason and understand that he needs to get help to understand how to treat his dyphoria, and if he does, he's likely to find therapists who will tell him the only way to treat it is to give in to it, because right now all things trans are in the air and even in fashion, and there are many voices out there to tell him that yes, despite his male biology and socialization, he can be a woman or has always been a woman, and he deserves to be a woman.  If he finds a therapist, he'll likely find one who is in agreement with this narrative and encourage your husband to treat his dysphoria by "transitioning" (acting and dressing in a feminine way...as if that's what a woman is!).  
   You asked what do you do at this point.  The first thing you do is to get help and support for yourself.  Writing to the forum here was your first step.  If you haven't already, please reach out to a family member or trusted friend.  Call a therapist, one who will support you. One thing you know for sure: if the situation is causing you such pain that you find yourself fantasizing about dying, then you definitely cannot keep "living this way." 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 27, 2017 6:30 am)

May 27, 2017 6:17 pm  #3

Thank you so very much for that excellent advice. Thank you also for taking the time to respond at length. Everything you said was a huge help. 

May 30, 2017 9:28 am  #4

Hi cudles, 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm so sorry you are here and you have to go through this period of life.  You certainly didn't deserve a husband who wants to turn into a woman.  That is not what you signed up for.  

Please continue to post here, read here, communicate with our family.  We have a number of women like OOHC who posted already who share the same experience and can give you a wide array of advice.   

We are here for you!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

May 31, 2017 8:45 pm  #5

Hello
I too have a husband (of 13 years) who came out three weeks ago, and now the s buying women's clothes, getting hair removed, started dressing up in casual women's clothes when going out etc. We have two daughters who are 8 and 12. I did not see this coming and I find it really difficult. It has happened so fast and our way of communicating has altered, our way of doing things together has changed.
We have contacted places in order to get support but there are waiting lists everywhere. I don't know if it's "normal" to act so fast on that desire that he suddenly feels. I miss him, I miss talking about other things, and I keep turning over in my head what to do. He has said that he thinks he will transition fully, and I have told him that I don't think that I can then be in a relationship with him. We have agreed not to make hasty decisions, but right now I feel so much pain from the changes that are happening and from the thought of not spending our future together. I'm in shock....

"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans...."

June 1, 2017 8:39 am  #6

Trunte,
 Shock is the logical and first response to what you're experiencing.  This revelation leaves you reeling, casting about for anchorage.  You're reacting to it by resorting, as is normal, to the norms of your married life--seeing this as something you're in together, trying to approach this as a couple, seeking joint help, etc.  Your husband, by contrast, is not reacting as part of a couple or as a father of two daughters; he's acting unilaterally on what HE wants, without regard for you and your children, and expecting you to adjust.  He's decided what HE wants to do and is doing it ("started dressing up in casual women's clothes when going out"; "he has said he thinks he will transition fully").  You say "our way of communicating has altered" and "our way of doing things together has changed."  Look at the way you put that: without an agent (I'm speaking grammatically).  But your husband is the agent here: he has altered your communication; he has changed the way that things are done. 
   You say you "don't know if it's 'normal' to act so fast on that desire he suddenly feels," and the answer to that is "yes," and the reason for this is that the desire to feminize the self works like an addiction, the more you feed it the more it wants, and the person in the grip of the high wants more and more and more, because it feels so good.  
   At this point, while you are in a period when you have agreed not to make "hasty decisions" (although your husband has already started going out in public in women's clothes and has already said he will transition fully, which seems pretty hasty for three weeks!), it would be helpful for you to start focusing on yourself--what kind of marriage and life YOU want--and to see a therapist for yourself (and not one who thinks his/her job is to "educate" you on your duties to your new trans wife).
   Do you want to be the wife of a trans person?  Do you want your entire life to be focused around trans issues (because it will be)?  Are you willing to commit joint finances to the expense of SRS?  Are you willing to accept the changes and challenges of your husband's transition, the personality changes occasioned by hormomes, his chemically and surgically altered body, one that will require constant tending to maintain its resemblance to a female's body?  Could you be in a sexual relationship with him as a trans person?  Do you want your girls to grow up without a father but with a trans person who is neither mother nor father?  
   He has changed the terms of your marriage, and now you need to decide what boundaries you will set for yourself and your girls.  Right now, his "full speed ahead" mode, driven by his immersion into the "pink fog" of his addictive pleasure, has you reacting: he's driving everything and you're trying to catch up.  You need to alter that dynamic of his acting, you reacting.  Do you want your girls to see him in women's clothes?  Are you willing to let him spend money on a whole new wardrobe?  If not, you need to set those boundaries of what is acceptable to YOU and what YOU are comfortable with.  
  I suggest you start your own thread, too, so it's there for you to think aloud and get a little clarity for yourself, and rant when necessary.  You've probably already read around on the forum, but do that, too.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 1, 2017 8:41 am)

June 1, 2017 10:39 am  #7

I agree with everying OoHC has said.  Why is it that your husband gets to just declare that the relationship has altered, and that you and the girls will be acclimating to it?  Many people transitioning do this, and the only way they get to do it that way is because we LET them.  They see their person as belonging completely and only to themselves.  Therefore, they have the right to change and be who they think they truly are without asking for anyone's permission.  And they'd be correct - they can do with their body whatever they want.  They can live whatever legal lifestyle they want.  No one can stop them.  BUT...... they do NOT have the right to think they can change the contract on their relationships and have it affect no one - or their relationships with said people.  They do NOT have that right.  A relationship is made up of the people in it - it is not controlled by one person.

You have the right to say that you need time to process what he's said and figure out how you feel about it.  Where your boundaries are.  And you have the right to go back to him and tell him that you should have done that in the first place, and you're NOT comfortable being in public with him dressing as a female.  Now,.... the whole relationship is about what BOTH people want.  If your husband feels that it's more important to dress as a woman than to make you and his girls feel comfortable, then he's showing you that he has NO.INTENTION of giving one iota about how you feel about ANY of this.  Which is, quite frankly, scary and insulting.  But then you'll know where you stand.  He has the right to plow ahead however he wants, but he does so at the peril of the relationship.  He KNOWS this.  He won't ACT like he does though - that's how gas lighting works.  They take control and act as though it's their God-given right.  But.It's.NOT.

If you manage to tell him that you need him to stop all forward movement on this until you can figure out what you want, then you will need to work on figuring that out.  You will need to seek counseling so you can work through those issues.  Personally, I think you should go alone.  This is NOT about what the two of you want - it's about figuring out what YOU want so that you can even begin to deliver that information to him.  If, at that point, you feel that you two need a mediator to help navigate you through this, then fine - seek a joint counselor.  But you need your own at this point - to help you untangle how you feel and what you want to do about it.  In the meantime, REFUSE to be pushed into his agenda.  It is HIM who's changing the contract of the relationship.  If he can't wait for you to catch up on processing this and working through your feelings, then he has no intention to do so, and it won't matter what you decide or want - he'll do exactly as he wants moving forward.  You need to know if that's the case.

You do NOT have to just roll over and deal with all of this because it's what he feels like doing.  He's had YEARS to process this - likely his entire life.  He cannot and should not expect you to deliver the news and practically immediately forge ahead into executing his desires.  He has no right to expect you - who married a man - to just acclimate to being married to a woman, and to have no preference about it.  If you suddenly wanted to start becoming a dolphin, would you expect him to entertain this as just something you want - like wanting to go back to school, or wanting to start a new hobby?  This is ALL.ENCOMPASSING.  It doesn't just become his new identity - it also becomes his hobby, his obsession, his fetish, his joy and his best friend.  You should expect this to progress (even if he initially pulls back at your balking, and promises to just forget about it).  But he doesn't need to get in a race car to get to the finish line.  This should be a marathon, NOT a freaking sprint.  Even the medical profession won't let him sprint - they know that if he's serious, he can take time to do things at a slower pace, or risk making changes he can't undo without having tested the waters first.

Unless you are open to being a lesbian, you don't have to entertain being married to a woman.  You can wish him well and decide that you're not up for that ride.  It's okay.  And you have every right to do that.

I wish you the best -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

June 2, 2017 1:34 am  #8

Thank you outodhiscloset and Kel for the replies. I will start another thread. Sorry for hijacking your thread here cudlescat. I hope you are finding support?

"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans...."

Board footera