OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2017 11:22 pm  #1

Thank you, and more questions...

Hey everyone, although I only posted once previously (when I first discovered my husband's affair ten months ago) I have visited this forum frequently, and it has been a lifeline for me during this catastrophic experience.  I am still with my husband...living in limbo I guess, but I have taken many of the "baby steps" that so many of you advised; I did get checked for STD's (negative) and visited an attorney for a consultation (expensive!) But at this point, I can't bring myself to leave; we've been together for 23 years, he says that he is bisexual (I know...I know!!) and that he will be faithful forever and loves only me.  As I've told my husband, I'm just taking things a day at a time...not forcing anything either way.  He has been knocking himself "love-bombing" me, and although I do believe his gestures are not all insincere, thanks to all of you (Kel and Sean in particular...) I view these actions with some healthy skepticism.  I'm not letting my guard down...I'm so grateful to all of you and can't thank you all enough for your insight and support.  
As I mentioned in my first post, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer (now incurable) during the time of my husband's affair.  It was particularly devastating to discover that he was texting (and probably meeting) the other guy when I was at the hospital with my mom.  But anyway, on to my questions...
1) Has anyone on this forum (Straight or LGBT) ever committed suicide?  I know that it's not uncommon for people to think about it, and my husband has alluded to being suicidal.  I was wondering if anyone has ever followed through that you all know of.  I guess I would be relieved if not...
2) After months of being pretty level-headed (I think) I suddenly have the urge to contact the man that my husband had a long term affair with.  He is a pillar of the community (openly gay...) and I get so angry seeing newspaper articles paying homage to how wonderful he is...he seems to be loved by everyone and it's driving me crazy!!! (And we live in a very conservative community.) Although I don't want to send him a crazy, hysterical rant, part of me wants to make sure he knows how much damage he has caused my family and me...in a civil way.  Have any of you ever done this?  Regretted it? 
3) I have been invited to go on a trip to visit friends for a month in another country...part of me is crying out to just flee, but I sense this may be a bad idea...anyway, I probably answered my own question.  Anyone ever just leave?  I have two teenage daughters, but they are very independent and would be fine for a month...
4) Lastly, my husband is also a colon cancer survivor.  I have no doubt that this experience (chemo, radiation, surgery, and ultimately, a colonostomy) left him deeply emotionally scarred.  It doesn't excuse what he did, but after all that we've been through (including some near fatal experiences) it definitely makes me more sympathetic towards him...has anyone on the forum been in my situation?  A very ill spouse?
Again, thank you all so much for being here...I'll try to actually log on more often (rather than just lurking...) 

It's been a rough road...I'm glad you are all on it with me!
Kate

May 14, 2017 4:29 am  #2

Re: Thank you, and more questions...

Hi Kate,

Your first question, Dr Francine Barbetta wrote a book A Pebble in his Shoe (I've just finished reading it), she was a straight spouse and her husband committed suicide some years after he was out and in a committed relationship with a man. Also I've spoken with someone in my physical world and on hearing my situation she proceeded to tell me the story of a friend of hers. We'll call the couple Jack & Jill, they were childhood sweethearts, both into appearances, both model type people who loved the material life, they got married and after about 15-17 years they separated never having any children. This friend met Jill a number of years after this and she told her about the separation and that Jack was gay, my friend asked when she'd found out etc.......on their wedding night, she said why do you think we never have kids, they'd decided to stay married but Jill's one rule was that he never bring anyone into their home. She arrived home early one day and there he was with a "friend" in THEIR bed, that was the end of the marriage for her! They both found new partners, Jack & Bob and Jill & John, they met up for drinks and stayed in each others houses for weekends etc and all looked good but about 15 years after Jack left the marriage he committed suicide, he never wanted to be gay!

Question 3, do you want to live your life being afraid to go do things on your own for fear of what might happen while you're gone? Staying put is no guarantee that he won't stray again either.

I agree it is a rough road.................way tougher than dealing with a death I imagine.

Hope I was of some help

Last edited by Foolme (May 14, 2017 4:31 am)

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

May 14, 2017 7:50 am  #3

Question 4) My lesbian ex wife did indeed have stage 4 breast cancer that spread to her spine. She's very lucky to be alive and it did cause her a lot of trauma BUT!!!!! Don't let him use it to guilt trip you, mine's done it for years to the point I don't even care anymore. You didn't give him cancer, you were there for him when he needed your support and that ends any discussion to justify his actions based on his cancer. 

May 14, 2017 10:07 am  #4

Question 2;  no I never confronted the girlfriend of my gidx.  I actually gave her dinner in my home and played with her kids while she and my now ex sat on the couch (and plotted and schemed).  What a bad husband I was. 
But when she said hi to me at an event when I knew  about the affair I simply turned and walked away..  no reply..nothing to validate that she made me angry or happy or sad..she would relish if I acted hurt or sad.  She was like taunting me with a smirk on her face to retaliate.
She knew all my business anyway..my ex and her texted every second..at night at dinner while in the bathroom..
Really nothing to say to these home wreckers..especially when it's our spouses pursuing them.
They would laugh at us saying we couldn't keep our spouses happy..which we cant..they have something we'll never have (same sex).  We feel like losers and foolish ..but it really explains why our spouses were never happy..my ex was insatiable now that I look back..  if you want to say anything to the lover wish them luck with your spouse..because our spouses will never be satisfied or happy. 

I would take that trip and when you get back and see how happy he is then you know all there is to know.  I urge you not to let him define you and accept what he us doing as ok.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 14, 2017 11:16 am  #5

If he's suggesting suicide, call 9-1-1. He needs help and it should not be all upon you to provide it.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

May 14, 2017 11:17 am  #6

Hi Kate,

#1: My father committed suicide.  He was bipolar.  My first husband threatened to do it when I said I wanted a divorce; he sat in the vestibule porch with a pistol while I walked in a circle around the living room saying "please don't do it," over and over again.  He didn't do it.
    Suicide is either the result of mental illness, in which case the person needs professional help, or a manipulative act, even though born of desperation.  In neither case is it the fault of or the responsibility of any family member.  You can't keep someone from it if they're going to do it, even though they may say you're responsible.  
#3  Going on the trip, getting away from the situation, might give you some needed perspective on your situation. It's a modified and limited version of "no contact." I agree with FoolMe: you can't live your life suspicious, always making sure your husband isn't out of your sight so he can't cheat.  

May 14, 2017 3:47 pm  #7

Dear Kate,
Good job on those baby steps!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Bless your hearts.

RE #1:  You could give him the number for the national suicide prevention hotline, and know it's up to him to make his choice.
RE #2:  When I feel the urge to vent toward anyone in writing, I usually go ahead and type up a really long, thorough rant, then delete it.  Just putting all those words on paper, or computer screen, might help you.  It's probably best not to actually send it, because yes, you'd likely regret it.  Sometimes I've written stuff on paper then burned it in the fireplace.
RE #3:  I just left. Today. Seriously.  It was sudden, but as they say, there's no time like the present.  I hope you take that international vacation!  Sounds like you deserve some time to unwind and enjoy yourself.  I'm sure your kids will be fine.
RE #4: Rejoice for his sake that he is a survivor.  Don't let the past weigh you down today.

I'm glad you're reaching out.  This forum is the best!

May 14, 2017 11:44 pm  #8

#3  I went on a month long trip and when I got home was when my wife told me that she was gay and wanted to separate.  I'm still having a hard time with that (we're recently divorced and that was the beginning of the end).  Perhaps the time away will be good for both of you to think about your future.

May 15, 2017 10:19 am  #9

KateA wrote:

1) Has anyone on this forum (Straight or LGBT) ever committed suicide?  I know that it's not uncommon for people to think about it, and my husband has alluded to being suicidal.  I was wondering if anyone has ever followed through that you all know of.  I guess I would be relieved if not...
2) After months of being pretty level-headed (I think) I suddenly have the urge to contact the man that my husband had a long term affair with.  He is a pillar of the community (openly gay...) and I get so angry seeing newspaper articles paying homage to how wonderful he is...he seems to be loved by everyone and it's driving me crazy!!! (And we live in a very conservative community.) Although I don't want to send him a crazy, hysterical rant, part of me wants to make sure he knows how much damage he has caused my family and me...in a civil way.  Have any of you ever done this?  Regretted it? 
3) I have been invited to go on a trip to visit friends for a month in another country...part of me is crying out to just flee, but I sense this may be a bad idea...anyway, I probably answered my own question.  Anyone ever just leave?  I have two teenage daughters, but they are very independent and would be fine for a month...
4) Lastly, my husband is also a colon cancer survivor.  I have no doubt that this experience (chemo, radiation, surgery, and ultimately, a colonostomy) left him deeply emotionally scarred.  It doesn't excuse what he did, but after all that we've been through (including some near fatal experiences) it definitely makes me more sympathetic towards him...has anyone on the forum been in my situation?  A very ill spouse?

Kate

1.)  Suicide is a very real threat to people going through this level of emotional turmoil.  I'm not aware of any forum members actually following through with it, however, unfortunately we can't keep tabs on everyone who signs up and posts and then vanishes.  They could be recovering and moving on with life and doing fine, or they could have possibly chosen to end their life.  There is no way to know.  I pray that we can be helpful enough and give enough hope to talk someone out it.  That is actually my #1 goal here.    I am aware that the Str8 Spouse Network has been involved in prevention through it's hotline. 
2.)  My wife's "homewrecker - lover" knows exactly how I feel about her, but they are all so incredibly selfish that it doesn't matter.  Your husband's lover certainly knows the impact he has had on your life, but he does't care.  He has painted a crazy selfish world where he thinks he can justify the action.  Your efforts to reach out to him would't have any impact on him.  It would be like trying to have a debate about politics with a 3 year old..  just pointless.   Now, if you think that expressing your pain and anger would be helpful for YOU.. then go for it.  If it gives you closure or makes you feel better or helps you move forward with your life..  go ahead.  But don't expect to have any impact on him.  
3.) A vacation and change of scenery is a massive help.  I was able to go to India for 10 days a month after my ex moved away.  It was incredibly healing and gave me a new perspective and helped me draw a line in the sand between my old life and my new life.  As long as it doesn't harm your daughters or make finances too tight... I think it's a great idea.  You will most likely come back a new person. 
4.) I think health issues are often the catalyst for people "coming out".  I think it can bring on "mid-life" crisis mentality and cause people to stop hiding their real identity.  What makes me sad is that it's just further proof of the selfishness that rules their lives.  We are there for them through the hard times and willing to continue being there for them.. we show them love through the crisis and what we get in return is betrayal.  Very sad..  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

May 17, 2017 10:04 am  #10

Hi, KateA -

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  But I'm glad you find a certain measure of solace in this place. 

No, I've never known anyone who committed suicide due to the gay thing.  That's not to say it hasn't happened, but I don't believe anyone here has come on and told us such a thing.  I myself was afraid that my ex might have killed himself.  He had told me in the past about how he felt like doing such a thing when his first adoptive mother gave him back to the foster home as a child - before he was finally adopted.  And then when final adoptive mother semi abandoned him for her husband (who was the most manipulative S.O.A.B I've ever known).  So I worried that taking away his marriage and not letting him live with his children on a daily basis would push him over the edge.  I never did broach the subject with him.  But I did ask the therapist, who in the beginning was our joint therapist.  After many months of my ex seeing the therapist on his own, he missed an appointment due to needing to work, and I went in my ex's place so we wouldn't pay for the cancellation fee. Counselor and I chatted about how this was doomed, and did my spouse know it?  I told him I was concerned that my spouse may hurt himself, and the counselor said that while he agreed that was a possibility when he first started talking to my ex, he thought we were out of the woods at that point.  And that within a few months, he'd be willing to embrace who he was and what that meant for our marriage.  He's not been suicidal (that I know of) since then.

I never had any outright knowledge of my spouse cheating, so there was no other person to contact.  I certainly understand your desire to do so, though.  And I can't say that you shouldn't.  However, you may not get any satisfaction out of doing so.  Let's say you write the perfect letter.  You deliver it to the man.  He reads it.  He is unlikely to contact you back, so you'll never know what his reaction is.  It would be rare for him to contact you and lay himself at your feet and beg for forgiveness.  Whether he does that or not, the paper will continue reporting on him the way they see fit.  If he knew your husband was married, he shouldn't have done what he did.  Do you for sure know he had knowledge beforehand that your husband was married?  If not, then you might be chastising the wrong person anyway.  In the end, it is your husband who hurt you.  HE was the one who had vowed commitment to you.  HE was the one who was supposed to put your needs before his.  HE was the one who willingly joined his life with you.  Save ALL your anger and sadness over this scenario for him.  He fully deserves it.  No one held a gun to your husband's head in order to get him to have a relationship with this other man.  That was ALL your husband's responsibility, and he failed you.

Totally GO on that trip to see your friend.  Open up your horizons a bit.  Get away from this life so you can get some clarity - and some rest.  A month IS a long time for a mother to be gone, though.  If you truly think this will be no big deal to your teenage girls, and that their needs will be met while you're gone, then by all means.... GO!  You cannot worry about what he'll do while you're gone.  If you cannot trust the man for a freaking month, then you SHOULD go - just to see what he winds up being up to.  Have him followed around by a private investigator, or use a tracking device on his car.  Then you can go AND know what he's up to.

I think severe illness bonds people in a way just like any shared trauma experience.  You are survivors together, and it puts you on the same team.  I know that's difficult to dismantle.  However.... you cannot let your feelings for him be stronger than your feelings are for yourself.  You can be head-over-heels in love with someone, but you should only feed that love if they treat you right.  It doesn't matter if they once gave you the world on a platter if they're now just punching you in the eye every time they see you.  Your experience battling his cancer was a triumph.  And nothing takes away from that.  If you left, it still doesn't take away the support and love you gave to him during that time period.  Nothing will change that.

Best to you -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera