OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2017 7:13 pm  #1

She came out last night.

I was at the point of accepting that I was in a dead bedroom. Then she came out to me last night. I'm surprised but not surprised if that makes sense. I'm a bit of a mess right now.I stay at home looking after our two young ones(so no real job, work is a little bit dried up at the moment plus I want to switch careers). Had plans of going back to university. I'm supportive of her, but I'm still a swirl of emotions.We talked a bit and still need to talk more, going to see if an open relationship will work. She said she still loves me, and that I'm her best friend. I still lover her, it's hard to just turn that switch off. I just needed to get that off my chest as I don't want to tell any of my friends or family at the moment.Still need to process.

Edit: Feelings journal
Day 1: D day. She told me. In shock and said a tonne of jokes
Day 2: Cried like a giant baby. Couldn't look her in the eyes
Day 3: relief, but still processing. Loaded the tinder app but I know I'm not ready for that, Just helped me feel better. Still cant giver her eye contact. 

Last edited by Crafty (May 2, 2017 11:38 am)

May 1, 2017 7:42 pm  #2

Re: She came out last night.

I know exactly what you're saying. It's been 2 months since my wife told me. I was in shock, like someone had died. It reminded me of the way I felt watching my grandfather suffer from Alzheimer's. He's still here, but somehow the person I loved is still gone.

It was so hard to tell family and friends. Took me a month. I felt like it was my fault somehow (it's not) or like I was going to be judged for not seeing it sooner. It's a hard transition for the mind to make. The person you loved and built a life with doesn't want you anymore. They still love you, but not the way you need them to.

It's tough to see the future when your life suddenly falls apart, but I'm a little better than I was 2 months ago. I have to believe it will get better.

You're in the right place. Just the few comments I've received have been so helpful just by letting me know I'm not the only one dealing with these emotions. You're not alone either.

May 1, 2017 8:21 pm  #3

Crafty wrote:

I was at the point of accepting that I was in a dead bedroom. Then she came out to me last night. I'm surprised but not surprised if that makes sense. I'm a bit of a mess right now.I stay at home looking after our two young ones(so no real job, work is a little bit dried up at the moment plus I want to switch careers). Had plans of going back to university. I'm supportive of her, but I'm still a swirl of emotions.We talked a bit and still need to talk more, going to see if an open relationship will work. She said she still loves me, and that I'm her best friend. I still lover her, it's hard to just turn that switch off. I just needed to get that off my chest as I don't want to tell any of my friends or family at the moment.Still need to process.

You are not alone. I have been going through it for two years so far. I still love her but, she doesn't want a open marriage. Like you said it is hard to turn that switch off. But ask yourself the hard questions. Are you ok if she is sleeping with other people? Can you handle it? Don't mean to be a downer but these are questions that will come up as you process. I am still processing. Plus I have my 3 kids to consider. We are here to help if you need it. Take your time don't rush decisions.

May 1, 2017 9:09 pm  #4

Hello to the 3 of you.....keep posting.  It gets better, I promise.    We are all here to support you in whatever state you find yourself in.  We get it, when others don't. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

May 1, 2017 9:18 pm  #5

In my opinion, open relationships are difficult. Hearing others talk about them it seems the gay partner wants permission to go explore with others but the straight partner is expected to hang around and wait for the other person to figure out what they want. Compounding the difficulty is that we, the straight partner,  already knew what we wanted, the person we married and looking elsewhere seems like cheating, even when permission is given. I couldn't do it. Makes it seem more like a room-mate arrangement than a marriage.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

May 2, 2017 10:52 am  #6

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  It sucks.

You do NOT need to make decisions that benefit her and not you.  And before you say, "But if she's happy, then I'm happy", think about the sexless marriage you've already been enduring - have you been happy with that just because it's apparently what she wanted?  Don't sacrifice yourself on the alter just so she can be happy.  Opting for an open marriage when that's not what both individuals desire is a mistake.  You can't go back from it.  You can't try it for a few months and then say, "Ummm, turns out this is not good for me.  Soooo, stop sleeping with others now."  She may WANT your permission to sleep with others, but she has NO.RIGHT to expect that out of a relationship that was sealed in a promise of "forsaking all others".

Our gay partners often do this because they're afraid to just lose everything.  They want their cake and they want to eat it, too.  Life doesn't work that way.  If they want to do be with others, then they need to exit the relationship.  They do this because they want their home and their dedicated spouse and no worry over the children's welfare, BUT they want to go be intimate with others.  WHY would they think they're entitled to that?  That's SO.... selfish!  Would you ever in a MILLION years think you could approach your wife and be like, "I think that in order to be sexually fulfilled, I need to sleep with other women.", and have her be like, "Oh, okay - your happiness is more important than any part of our lives - so.... go have fun!  I'll be right here - waiting for you to come home all happy."  You'd be NUTS to think she'd give you her blessing to go do that!  And you'd be nuts to agree quickly to such a thing, too.

Ask more questions.  When did she start feeling this way?  Has she had lesbian experiences in the past?  I'll bet you find out that she's known all along, and just thought she could push those feelings down and have a nice cookie-cutter life.  I'd also bet that she's been cheating on you already.  They want us to think that they haven't - because we'd be too angry with them to see anything but red if that were admitted.  But the truth is.... people don't just risk it all to have sex with others unless they've been DOING that and want to do it without sneaking around.  They think that if they come clean with their desire, and they have permission, they'll then have a guilt-free experience where they have to do less covering and get more time to indulge in their game.  TRUST ME when I say she's already doing this.  She likely already has a girlfriend that she's hoping to be out and about with more openly.  And if she's anything like the other wives here who've done this, she will become obsessed with this other person if allowed to see her.  She will be happier than you've ever seen her - only the happiness will be coming from the other person - NOT you.  And then if that relationship takes off, she'll be willing to exit the marriage to be with her.  If it does the opposite and fizzles, she'll come back and say that she has tried it, and it turns out she's not a lesbian and wants a normal loving marriage now.  And then soon enough, she'll meet someone else and the cycle will continue.

It's not fair to you.  Get mad that you've been lied to for years now.  Get angry that you've been deceived and let to rot while she chases her passion.  Get livid that she'd EVER ask you for permission to do this.  She has no right to this, and you have no obligation to say yes.  If you say no, you'll see her TRUE colors come out.  Try it and see.

Wishing you the best.  Keep stopping by.  We're here.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (May 2, 2017 10:54 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

May 2, 2017 11:32 am  #7

Well the thing is she doesn't want a partner, at least not right now. She hasn't cheated on me with another woman or anything like that. We are mainly thinking of our kids and if I leave I have no money no job so she is thinking of me in that regard. We had plans for me to go back to University and she still wan'ts to help me with that. I know she doesn't want to leave everything but neither do I. She hasn't said she wants to be with others, but more of a realization that she is gay and that it's not fair for me. She loves me but she can't love me the way that I need.

I asked her when when she started feeling this way and she told me. Her first time hitting on a girl she was drunk it was well before we met and all her friends made fun of her for it. 

After some talking we will be getting a divorce at some point. I highly doubt shes going to change her mind on coming back to me and I don't want that anymore it's over. I know the next little bit will be an emotional roller coaster. So when she told me I was in shock and made a tonne of jokes. The day after I cried all day like a giant baby. The next day being today i'm kind of relieved, things are still awkward though still processing a bit.

May 2, 2017 2:36 pm  #8

Hi Crafty, welcome to the club nobody wanted to join.

It is a club, it has one song sheet.  Once you've been reading here for a few years you will recognise the verses.

You've now arrived at what I call the double-fuck stage.  She's told you.  Now you think she's being honest with you.  Here's the bad news - no she isn't.  And you're very vulnerable.  You still believe she loves you.  If she did, she'd be the one on the floor crying her eyes out at the pain she's caused you.  

Dead bedroom is a very expressive phrase and for me it sums up the cause of that pain.  Like Kel says, of course you need to get angry.  Getting angry can be constructive, it is not good feeling angry but it doesn't last, and it doesn't change your kindly nature.

You have some pressing reasons why you need to stay and be able to co-operate together.

This is a tough position to be in.  Really tough.  So first thing is to pat yourself on the back for handling it as well as you are.  

I walked out of my dead bedroom without any idea I was married to a gay man, he had always denied it, still does, I believed it was all my fault so I wasn't angry with him just confused - I spent 15 years on the sofa.  well I did get a bed at some point and it was a big sofa in front of the fire but the point is the thing I did was accept that my partner was not giving me emotional support and I needed not to look to him for it because it only hurt more, I had to find it for myself.  I ended up with my own friends and activities after a while.

Personally speaking, I hope you can do better than that and find your way forward to your future quicker than that and this is what I was told when I found this forum - you heal much quicker when you separate and I have found that to be true.

May 2, 2017 3:04 pm  #9

Crafty,

I'm sorry you're going through this with so many of us.  I'm not far ahead of you but hang in there.  It's a struggle supporting and loving someone who loves you on one level but no longer loves you on other levels. Don't neglect yourself supporting her.

My GW tried very hard to be dedicated to our marriage but ultimately couldn't. She sought out physical attention I couldn't give.  I hope yours does better at resisting but not being true to their feelings will come out negatively in the long run.

Don't rush to dating. I tried and quit almost instantly.  You need time to heal and sort yourself out.  Find the local SSN group and meet them. It helps with the feeling of being alone. 

Hang in there!

Last edited by Carl (May 2, 2017 3:07 pm)

May 2, 2017 3:05 pm  #10

Apologies in advance Crafty don't mean to hijack your thread but I have plenty of anger. I've expressed it here I've expressed it in my journal. It's just the being able to express it to her. To say you know what and let it rip. I am actually scared of the  repercussions.Of the all out war I am afraid it is going to cause in the house. My kids have been through enough. It's also tempered by my obviously misguided feelings of love and devotion for her.

Board footera