OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2017 12:16 pm  #1

New to this and having a hard time.

I really don't know how to do this, but here goes.

I met my wife through a mutual acquaintance about 7 1/2 years ago. We hit it off, started dating, everything was great. After 9 months we decided to move in together, 6 months later I proposed. We married 5 1/2 years ago, got pets, bought a car, built a life we were happy with. I've never been that happy in my life. Women never paid me much attention, so when I met her at 33 I felt like all my patience had finally paid off. I met the one I was looking for. We had our little fights, but we always made a point to not leave the house or go to bed angry at each other. We supported each other, she was my best friend. It was a really good relationship.

Then sometime in the last year things changed. Her desire to have sex dropped off, she always had a headache or was tired. Then she started sleeping in the guest room, she said my snoring kept her awake. Then when I would kiss her goodnight, I got a peck on the lips and she'd roll over and go to sleep. She stopped hugging me. Everything else seemed normal. I brought it up a few times but she never wanted to talk about it. Then in February, while I was sick with the flu, she just sat down and told me she's gay. I completely broke down. In an instant I lost my wife, my marriage, and the one thing in my life I lived for. She's an amazing person. I'm happy that she doesn't have to hide or lie or be confused about who she is. Her life can only get better from here. Mine, however, has lost all purpose. In the last 2 years I lost my grandmother, lost a 12-year career and our savings trying to keep everything together, took a menial job to keep the bills paid, and now this. I've always tried hard to be cognizant of my mental health, to not be irrational or make decisions based solely on emotion, and now at 39 I'm coming apart. I'm not sleeping and I feel like I have no control over my emotions. I'm grappling with thoughts I have no idea how to process. The best sexual experiences of my life were with someone who didn't want them or felt pressured. That makes me feel sick, like I violated her.

I don't know how to deal with the fact that her coming out will improve her life but is destroying mine. I'm not mad at her because she didn't choose to be gay. At the same time I'm furious with the universe, or god or whatever you may believe in. She was the only thing I needed. Everything else was superfluous. Now it's over and there's no one to blame, nowhere to focus all this anger and frustration. Our divorce will be amicable and uncontested, she's still a good person and my friend, but I still lost my wife and I never wanted that. She was the one for me.

I'm sorry for rambling, but for everything I've experienced in my life this is the first thing I've encountered where I had absolutely no idea how to deal with the emotions it's created. In 2 years I lost everything I spent the last 15 working for. I had a career, a house, a nice car, a wonderful wife.... now it's all gone. The things I can handle losing, but without her I don't see the point anymore. I'm not suicidal. I know things always will get better, but right now I can't see it.

April 30, 2017 12:35 pm  #2

Re: New to this and having a hard time.

:...Her life can only get better from here. Mine, however, has lost all purpose.."

Welcome Hiker..    I disagree.    I profusely disagree.    You cannot see it now just as we all cannot see the future.   But this I know in my bones.. our futures are better without such people lying to us and hurting us.

I hope your wife remains "the good person" that she is and is friendly.    Gather strength though and do not
mistake friendship for trauma bonding.   Know that you did everything right.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 30, 2017 4:47 pm  #3

You're not alone. I've also done the ride from 'awesome' to 'something's wrong here' to 'I have something to tell you'. It hurts. You will survive and come out stronger although that might not look likely to you at the moment. Anger is normal, sadness is normal. Allow yourself to grieve. An amicable divorce can be good in terms of getting a move on but please make sure it is fair. Your life is not over but it is changing. If I can offer one piece of advice, don't shoulder this alone. Find someone besides your spouse you can open up to about this. There's a lot of good advice here, take advantage of it. You can do this.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

April 30, 2017 5:28 pm  #4

yes please listen to your solicitor.  You don't know this because you are still focused on the past marriage but your future matters and it is important you get every cent you are entitled to.  You will need every one of them to set yourself up again.  and as time goes by and you are in your future looking back, you don't want to feel like you got kicked all over again on the way out the door.  don't let yourself be financially disaffected as well.  you are already experiencing the results of emotional disaffect.

as someone a few years on the other side of divorce I can tell you the thing I regret is the money I gave him not the money I kept from him.

May 1, 2017 8:41 am  #5

A lot of what you said I can relate to. I am going through the same emotions. Except in my case she supposedly didn't know. It's hard but we have to believe there is something better on the other side of this experience that is great and waiting for us to find it.

May 1, 2017 12:49 pm  #6

Hi Hiker33, 

I'm so sorry you find yourself here.  I'm even more sorry that it took you 2 years to find us.  I wish we could have helped you earlier.  

As I read your comments it brought me back to some of the exact feelings I had during my early days.  I was married long enough to get used to the lack of intimacy.  In fact things were getting better toward the end because she was trying to keep me in the dark.  She and my kids were my entire world.  Like you, I was very co-dependent.  What that means is that my satisfaction and happiness with life came from my wife.  Her love is what sustained me..  Now I look back and see that I was like a starved prisoner clinging to those few bread crumbs and thinking they were my entire life's value.  So when she said she was a lesbian it rocked my entire world.  I nearly lost my job as well.  I was in a very deep depression.  I couldn't sleep, didn't eat, had anxiety attacks.. it was awful!   

So... you are among friends and people who know exactly how you feel.  

Just sharing your life experience in public is the first step in getting YOUR life back.  Keep reading, keep sharing, touch base with other threads, etc..   Writing out your emotions is great therapy. 

Please allow me to give you some more advice.. 
Please see a Dr. to ask about anti-depressants and sleep meds.  You need to take care of your health.  Taking some meds to eliminate the side-effects of your shock and depression will help.  It's not weakness, but rather strength to know that you need help and seek it out. 
Please find a therapist or councilor.  You need to talk through your emotions with a professional who can help you identify issues and start working to fix them.  You need to figure out how to find happiness in yourself without the co-dependency.  That's really hard.. I'm not there yet either.  But making progress in this area helps. 
I'm glad you are not mad at her and taking out your anger on her.  But you can't blame yourself.  If you have only two alternatives, you need to place the blame correctly and it doesn't belong to you.  You didn't lie about your sexuality and compromise another person's life and health for selfish reasons.  

The good news..  You are only 39.  I'm the same age.  I wish I would have learned this at 29.. but at least it's not 59.  We have time to rebuild our lives, find a new spouse, build for retirement.  You will do these things.  You will get better and you will find happiness!

Let us know what we can do to help.  We are here for you. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

May 1, 2017 1:25 pm  #7

Hi Hiker,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

This wasn't a surprise to your wife, though.  She knew about this for a long time before she mentioned it to you.  And I don't mean for the year that she was acting differently.  I don't want to make you defensive, but I'll bet that if you had a magic 8-ball, you'd find out that she was attracted to women from a very early age.  She just didn't want to be gay, so she pushed it to the back burner and threw herself into your marriage - because she thought she could do it.  The 8-ball would also likely say that a year ago, she started acting differently because she started to have some sort of affair (whether sexual or purely emotional) with a female.  She gave herself to someone else, therefore she was no longer available to give herself to you.

God didn't do this to you.  I understand the thought process - why couldn't He spare you this after all you've had to endure the past year?  But it is your wife who is solely responsible.  She knew, she just didn't want to tell you.  She didn't even want to be honest with herSELF.  Until she couldn't do that any longer.  Then you became immaterial.  She may not have been attempting to purposely hurt you with this, but she knew it would, and she did it anyway.  God didn't do this - your WIFE did.  She has free will, and this is what she chose to do.

I agree that you need to see a psychiatrist and a psychologist.  And see a lawyer.

I wish you better days -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

May 1, 2017 3:15 pm  #8

I'm the same age as you Hiker33 and struggling with similar emotions.  You are not alone and one of the best things you can do is find a therapist to talk to and help you work out these feelings. 

I was with my husband for 14 years and he dropped a bomb on my life.  Some days I just can't see beyond right now.

May 1, 2017 4:29 pm  #9

Hiker, I 100% understand!  You are not alone.

May 1, 2017 6:57 pm  #10

Thanks for the advice everyone.

As far as the financial and legal things go, everything is settled. We had no disagreements there, in fact she told me I could take it all if that's what I wanted. I've always been a minimalist, I don't need that much to live and we frankly don't have much to split up. 90% of it was clearly hers or mine. All my tools, musical instruments and camping equipment I kept, all her nice cookware, her piano, etc, she kept. We've kept separate accounts for several years so the money isn't a big issue. We split what was in the joint accounts and called it good. No mortgage, one vehicle owned outright (mine) and one we owed $3000 on (hers). She's taken over the loan and paid me for my half of the equity in the car. She took full responsibility for her student loans. I kept the dogs, she kept the cat. Neither of us saw any point in trying to nickel and dime everything down to the last cent. We both got what we wanted and it was honestly very fair.

As far as medications, Benadryl for sleep is as far as I'll go. I avoid anything that's going to affect my mood or thinking. I have no desire to take something that will make me feel better until I stop taking it. That's not a solution to me, it's a band aid for something I'll just have to deal with later. I understand the purpose and I recognize that the need could arise, but I'm not there. I'm here because this is the first traumatic thing in my life that I haven't been able to process and resolve myself. People die, you lose jobs, relationships end, catastrophes happen. They're hard but they can all be dealt with. This is first one I don't feel like I have the tools to handle on my own and I sincerely appreciate the support. While I wish no one ever had to deal with this, knowing I'm not the only one helps.

As far as blaming god, I don't believe in any of that. I guess that was my metaphor for knowing that while I didn't do anything wrong, it happened anyway and was beyond my control.

Co-dependency. Yep. I don't feel like that was a bad thing in our marriage; I loved her whole-heartedly and the importance of material things and other issues weren't hard to handle because we were in it together. I had a partner. Now I find out my partner was never honest with me, or herself. It was never what I thought it was and that's a hard thing to process. It's the loss of that partner that's hard to take. I spent most of my life alone, I just need to remember how to do it again.

Thanks everybody. This does help.

Board footera