OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2017 7:04 pm  #1

A love story turned nightmare

T.his is my first post. So sorry if it feels like you are reading a novel. I have been struggling alone for two years now.
Two years ago during a anxiety attack my wife told me she thought she was gay. Our marriage wasn't perfect at the time. But we were starting to actively work on it together. Needless to say as soon as the words came out all I felt was numb. But, at the same time I wanted to be there support her. Some back story might be needed here. My wife and I have been together for 15 years. It had ups and downs like most marriages do. When I first met her it was at work. I am shy at first I have to get to know someone first before I open up. But she kept at it everyday she saw me to get me to talk to her. That tenacity blew me away I had never met anyone like her before. She was kind, open hearted, non judgmental  funny as hell and just awesome to talk to, to be with. There was a 10 year difference between us. But it didn't matter I feel in love with her. She moved away for awhile but we talked every Friday night for hours and I would send her a card that she would receive every Wednesday. Usually just something funny. But she moved back up here and we officially started going out. Years later we had our first son (we have 3 kids 2 boys 1 girl) and I lost my job all at the same time it was rough but we moved into a basement apartment at her grandfather's house. Then we had our daughter and her grandfather got sick. She stepped up and took care of him. Which I respect her so much for but this is when things started going down hill. I would try to get alone time for just us. Dinner on our anniversary, a night out to see a movie.Even her dad started giving us movie passes and gift cards to go out to eat every Christmas and he would say you have to take care of your marriage to. But, there was always something more important. I started feeling neglected so I gave up asking. That feeling grew in me and I started to neglect her. I own this it was my mistake. I could have handled it better. What become our alone time was sex. Looking back big red flag. Which you will see. We got married and had our youngest son. Then she started having trouble orgasming during sex. But by this time I was so locked in my head that I didn't listen I took it personal because it was the last part of her I felt I had. Again could have handled it better. Flash forward some more and we reach the present. I finally got my head out of my ass and said our marriage is broken and I love her to much to let this continue. We got books and started doing the exercises. It was working. But then it happened her anxiety. It hit because we both had messed up childhoods that contained abuse.I will not go into details on hers out of respect and I am sure you will figure it out. Mine was physical and mental. But our daughter was about to turn 8 and that was when my wife's abuse started. She broke down in tears I knew about it and we talked and in the middle of that talk she said I think I might be gay. For the past two years we have tried marriage counseling our own personal counselors
but it just seems like whenever we get some where good some where stable she destroys it. I don't know why. Great example marriage counseling. We were making head way we were talking, laughing it started to feel like us again. Then in the middle of a session she says I feel like I am doing these sessions to not be gay anymore. Our counselor and my mouth hit the floor at the same time. What??????
Our session ended with our counselor saying to take some time before our next session. So 3 weeks later we went back for our counselor to say I can't help you. I was devastated on the drive home my wife looks at me and says stop acting like a martyr I don't believe you. It was crushing. She has put in pot shots of and on, and I have just excepted it as punishment for neglecting her. But alot came out during those sessions.
She never connected to me romantically
As she puts it she "loved" me in her way. She never connected during sex she only got off because I was enjoying myself. This to me is so hard to understand. She wants to co-parent in the same house her grandfather has passed and she lives upstairs with our daughter  while I live downstairs with my boys. Emotional distance is diffently not possible in this situation. I still love her. But she has changed so much that it feels like the person I met years ago was just a dream, a lie. The feeling of betrayal is so heavy in my heart right now which as funny considering she was the first one to say I betrayed her because she feels i didn't honor her like our vows say. She has repeated all of my
Mistakes every one these things that hurt her. For the past two years I have stood by her,supported her both financially,mentally even stood up for her against attacks from my family been her biggest supporter for her going back to school and getting her GED. I have done everything to not repeat past mistakes. I have stayed open not closing myself off again. I feel in my heart it is possible to make this work to be stable to be happy. And I know I am going to hear alot about that last statement but it's ok. It's like there is a divide between our family now. My kids and me on one side wanting everything to work to be better and her on the other side rebelling and tearing down whenever something good happens. She's trying to force things to be her way and her way only. I can't even speak my mind anymore because it automatically pisses her off. I don't know who she is anymore. I commented once during a fight that if her old self was here seeing this she would kick your ass and her response was yes she would. I don't know if she is struggling to. If she wants it to work and she doesn't know how. It just seems like anger is her only way of expressing herself and I feel like a punching bag for that frustration. I may have lost the structure I was going for with this post. Lol
Alot of thoughts and feelings and it's hard to keep things straight sometimes.
Ok I think I have babbled long enough but I have seen alot of common threads from other posts I have read here. The feeling of betrayal, the anger, the sadness and confusion. I thought I would finally try to find support for me. Until next time.

April 22, 2017 10:09 pm  #2

Re: A love story turned nightmare

Demons-halo, 
I'm sorry you found us but so glad you did.    SO GREAT that you are finding support for you.  We all understand here, we've been through it. 

Be good to yourself.  Keep posting. Write a novel. That's what we are here for. 

I'll say this.  You do have a say in what you want your life to be and that of your kids.  Don't stop fighting for what you want.  But the thing is, if you do love her and she does not want to or emotionally can't be with you, you have to let her go.  It hurts like hell.  
You can be friends, you can be partners in co-parenting your kids.  But can you watch her move her life forward without you?  This has happened to so many of us and the more we say what we want and need, the angrier and more aggressive our spouses/partners got.  
The thing is, she's likely frustrated because she is trying....but in reality she just can't do it.  The love you feel or don't feel from her may be the maximum she can give.   More importantly, is it what you want and need?  We tend to forget ourselves all. the. time.  
My test for myself was whether I could live with knowing what I knew was true (he would have never admitted it to me on his own), and be happy.  I couldn't.  I couldn't take the constant nit-picking, the things he argued with me about (and when I stuck up for myself it was 100x worse), and the unhappiness.  I deserved to be happy, so that won in the end.  I cared about him then and care about him now, but I can see looking back that he loved me the best way he could.  It wasn't a lie, it just wasn't enough, and not in the way a man should love a wife.  One huge point of healing was to understand that difference.  The other huge point was to understand that I didn't do anything wrong.  It was his choice to act like an angry ass, but not his choice to be attracted to the same sex.  I questioned reality and what was truth for a very very long time.  Some days, I still struggle with that. 
You said, she was the first one to say I betrayed her because she feels i didn't honor her like our vows say.  
Does this mean that you cheated?  Or that she felt ignored and is trying to blame you? 

Keep posting. 
E hugs to you
M

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

April 22, 2017 10:29 pm  #3

Demons halo,

I read your post and was little confused...what mistakes did you make that you keep referring to?

I see a husband that kept all their vows and did everything a husband was supposed to do.  I think your being too hard on yourself..but I know the feeling..our spouses have conditioned us to beat ourselves up along with them doing so also.
These spouses got super husband's like ourselves and they reject us..the anger you get is her justifying in her mind a way to make her being gay and discarding you ok..to make it right. 

It is an alternate reality..one that is not true...but they do all they can to make it true.  My gidx rages at me still. ..her anger is still all she knows.

I will say you need to think about what you want.  You want time with your kids sure. You have that now so don't leave.. But I doubt the living arrangement will work when she starts bringing home gay friends.  We can never get the wives back that we had..they are gone...left are cruel beings that resent and loathe us.. all we did was love them fiercely and selflessly..  it is not us..we kept all our vows and promises.

Time to work on yourself..she sounds really selfish. ..those kids will need a strong parent that puts them first.  She is not it.

Build your support system. Don't think that you have to live with a cruel wife. God would not want us to stay in an abusive marriage.

Last edited by Rob (April 22, 2017 10:35 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 22, 2017 10:31 pm  #4

Thanks for replying. When she first said it that's immediately were my mind went. I didn't cheat. Never would. We are still married at least for now, and I still hold true to my vows. Even when our marriage was falling apart it would have been easy to go somewhere else for what was missing the intimacy. I seriously think as far as men go I am kind of messed up. I have never had a fling or one night stand. If I slept with someone it was because I truly felt something for them. Sex is good but feeling more than that is even better. If that makes any sence. .After a nasty fight she once just said why don't you go get laid you will feel better. It was definitely a WTF moment thought she know me better than that. And as far as can I watch as she moves on. Right now I have to answer no. I feel to strongly for her. It actually came up in one of our sessions. The counselor was giving us options on how to proceed with our marriage, and co parenting under the same roof came up and I said no there would be no way I could handle it. It would tear me apart to watch that. But, I guess she wasn't listening. It's a situation of what would be worse. Move out keep my sanity and spend less time with my kids or stay, deal with being close to her and still be able to kiss my kids goodnight and be there in the morning to wish them a good day at school. I feel so trapped and alone. Angry because no matter what I do or say it is just not good enough. Because I gave 15 years of my life to a lesbian who could never return my love. My wife the mother of my 3 children. God it hurts.

Last edited by Demons-halo (April 22, 2017 10:36 pm)

April 22, 2017 10:51 pm  #5

My mistakes I keep referring to is when I gave up after a number of times trying to get her out of the house dinner movies anything just so we could be alone keep us strong. I shut down. I locked her out. I would do the typical man whine about not getting any. I ignored her and would play video games to distract me. It wasn't right. I could have handled things better. But old wounds of being abandoned to a abusive stepfather had conditioned me to shut up and lock down. As she said I was a abusive motherfucker. Alot of what she says in anger right now hurts like hell. But like I said I won't let myself fall into old habits that I used to use for protection. I stay open and caring. Supportive of her and my kids. I made mistakes alot of the things she has yelled at me for I have fixed. Only to watch every mistake I made repeated by her. Closing off,ignoring, striking out. These are the things that hurt her. But I guess it's ok when you can't smell your own bullshit.

April 22, 2017 11:07 pm  #6

The worst thing was just this Easter. I wasn't really hungry but told her i would still eat with them. So we were getting ready for dinner and she forgot to make the biscuits so I asked if she wanted me to make them. She said sure so I went downstairs to make them and my daughter came with me to help. Next thing I know she came downstairs and said we are done eating do you want me to bring the food down here. I missed eating a holiday dinner with my kids except for my daughter who was with me.I was so angry in 12 years i have never missed a holiday dinner with my kids and now i have. But i keep it to myself for peace.

April 23, 2017 1:35 am  #7

I completely understand where you are coming from.  It is the worst pain I have ever felt.  I'm new to all of this and I'm struggling right along with you.  You are not alone.

April 23, 2017 1:47 am  #8

The one thing I have noticed in a lot of these posts is the change of personality. My wife was the kindest most caring person I have ever met. Now it's like I don't recognize her. It's like she has zero emotion except lashing out. My kids and I can't talk to her about anything having to do with what we want how we feel. Without her exploding and say we are criticizing and attacking her. Which isn't the case. We are expressing our feelings on how YOUR changes YOUR decisions are affecting us. You are the only one with changed feelings and emotions. It adds to the betrayed feeling like we have been lied to our entire relationship. I am curious on why this happens.

April 23, 2017 1:48 am  #9

Thanks Jeese's girl.

April 23, 2017 2:06 am  #10

It kills me because I swear I see a shadow of how I remember her every once in a while. She will ask if I am ok and I swear I can hear concern and caring in her voice. And so I answer and it always ends the same. I speak and automatic rage. It's like a trap that I keep falling for. Until this week, I told her thanks for asking it means alot but you know we don't have a friendship or relationship were we can talk. I talk we fight it's that cut and dry. All it was doing was wearing down what trust I had left in her.
Since then she has been the person I remember but I just can't bring myself to not think it's a trap. God this sucks.

Board footera