OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2016 9:06 pm  #1

No more accomplice to secrets

I'm free. Divorce from closeted CDing husband was finalized July 5 -- exactly 30 years and one day from the day we met. I'm at peace, finally. Let my healing continue. It began here, and I thank each and every one of you who wrote such honest and supportive messages of your experience, strength and hope. You helped me more than you'll ever know. May we each find peace; may we each be free from suffering; may we each enjoy good health; may we each feel loved. 

July 17, 2016 10:33 pm  #2

Re: No more accomplice to secrets

Congrats..my divorce was in april...finally she moved out.

I'm like an abused dog whose cage was opened.. afraid to leave the cage because it's all I've known.

Like you I've known my ex just about 30 years..  to spend such a lifetime with someone only to be discarded and abused over someone they knew for 1 year.  Its like the years and struggles counted for nothing.

Let me know what your doing with your freedom..  im finding the first few days a bit hard.  I was in fight or flight mode for so long..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 19, 2016 12:42 am  #3

Congratulations.  I have about a week to go until mine in final.  It's been 39 years since I met him. That turned out to be the worst day of my life. What a violation of our human rights, our memories, our sense of who we are. I still feel like a stranger in my own life.

July 19, 2016 1:52 am  #4

Yes, I was with mine 30 years, 25 married, before I figured it out. What's with that? Why are they ramping up and getting caught now? Is it easier to catch cheating? Or more acceptable to act on desires you've fought against all your life? I really don't understand it.

July 19, 2016 4:42 am  #5

I don't know why now. For me and my ex we're both middle age now.
This is her midlife crisis..she couldn't get a sports car or a motorcycle ...had to have a gay affair and break up the family.

July 19, 2016 10:29 am  #6

We are older as this was the second marriage for both of us, and a happy one with no fighting. He was nice, kind, etc. not abusive. But all of this underground stuff. When I found it I couldn't believe my eyes!

He's 77, and his little "friends" we're in their 20's. Sick! Why would he do something so dumb and break up a long term marriage, financial stability and extended family at this stage in life?

And...when I found out I instantly chose to divorce him. Who needs this kind of disrespect? I'm 66 and planning the next 30 years being HAPPY and FREE. Living in peace and freedom from lies and deception.

July 19, 2016 10:32 am  #7

Congrats, Toward the Light!  It's my sincere hope that you will eventually feel that this was just another something that you went through in life.  That's where I'm at and have been for a while now.  Onward and upward.

As for why these people seem to come out after a good quarter century of being married, I have my theories.  I think it's a combo of things, and it does have something to do with getting older.  First off, I think that being married for that long puts us at a point in life where we've done a lot of living together.  We've bought the house, had the kids, raised the kids, and are now looking toward our future and wondering what we'll be doing once all the baby birdies leave the nest.  The mid-life crisis is more about examining that and knowing who we are and what we want, and when that doesn't match up with what we see as the reality on the horizon, our minds start to go a little nutzo at how to fix it.  We start to feel twitchy every day as we see no way to make the reality of our situation jive with our hopes and dreams.  We try to figure out if we can just live with is.  Many of us do.  Many of us see a reality that lines up with our desires.  And then there's the rest of us.  We may try to fix the situation and feel that we can't, so we try to appease ourselves with something fun to distract ourselves - hence the little red corvette scenario.  Suddenly heads are turning our way and we feel a bit more alive again - like we still have that thing that makes life full of spark and twinkle.  And that gives us confidence that dreams are worth chasing.  With more free time and a fatter wallet, we begin to pay closer attention to some of what we let go over the years - our health/appearance, our hobbies, our old friends, planning adventures and getting some joy back.  For straight people, they either try to bring their spouse along with them on this adventure, or they go in search for new sexual fulfillment.  Or maybe just spending time (whether in reality or virtually) with someone who they feel shares their zest for life, and gives them some attention.  For the gay spouse, it's another story altogether.

They've been stifling themselves for years - decades.  They may have been happy *enough* to keep going that way when they were in the thick of building a career and raising kids and taking care of a home.  But now, without their sexual needs being fulfilled for a LONG time, and some time and antsyness on their hands, they begin to explore a bit.  They know their spouse well - they know what they can get away with and still explore.  They jump online and learn some things, and they are suddenly aware of a world that they didn't know existed - how easy it is to talk to others in the same situation, how easy it is to see themselves as straight and still explore gay sexuality.  Bit by bit, they give more of their time and attention to this desire that's now become an obsession.  They get a taste of the fulfillment it is to embrace one's sexuality and have their needs met, and they're hooked.  They see no way to keep doing that though unless they keep their current lifestyle - the house, the job, the kids.  They still want all of that.  And that requires them to continue to be the husband to their straight wife.  So they keep doing it.  They are fearful of losing all that they've worked so hard for so long on, so they keep up the facade.  When they say "I love you so much and I want us to stay together", what they really mean is "I love you as a person, and I really love my LIFE that we've created, and I want to keep that all.  I just want to also f*ck men".

It's not right.  It's not fair to the straight spouse at all.  If we'd been in a straight relationship and our spouse began to feel this kind of unease about our shared future, they could have easily discussed it with us.  Heck, some of them do, and the decision is eventually made that they cannot make each other happy and need to both move on.  Usually the spouse has the advantage of also knowing that, though.  They may have had lots of conflict over the years that have clearly shown them that they people they've become are no longer compatible.  But when a spouse comes to us and says that it won't work because they're gay, we hear SO much more than the end of our relationship.  We hear that we've been being lied to - maybe all along.  The person we know is NOT who is standing in front of us.  Did they EVER love us if they've been gay all along?  Were we just a beard - a means to an end?  Have we been unknowingly been used for DECADES without ever having seen it?  Is every family photo now of an unhappy gay man with his unwitty family?  OMG, my entire last 30 years have been a lie!  It's a MUCH different reality than "he wasn't happy anymore".  But,..... in some ways, it can be...... better.

When you have a spouse come to you and say, "I've decided that you don't do it for me anymore", and they're straight, what they're saying is "You're just not exciting enough" or maybe "No one can get along with you".  Or maybe "You've let yourself go".  But when a gay spouse comes to us and says that they need to go because they're gay, what they are essentially saying is "I just can't be inauthentic anymore - it has nothing to do with you.  It turns out I've just been suppressing my sexual preferences, and I am no longer willing or able to do that".  It's NOT personal.  It feels like it - and we take it that way.  But it's really not.  And if they'd come to us and say this, it would be a HELL of a lot easier than finding out by all the sneakiness and cheating that we sometimes find.  At least with the first scenario they'd be saying, "I can't go on any longer this way, and I respect you enough to tell you the truth".  When they go behind our backs, they're telling us that they don't love us enough to respect us - they will just take what they want, and to hell with our feelings and hearts.  Which is why when I hear of one of us being cheated on (especially habitually), I say leave - because you're not only dealing with a sexuality that you can't change, but you're dealing with someone who is willing to lie to you in order to get their own needs met.  That's.... WORSE.  That person no longer deserves our consideration beyond being the other parent to our children.  They've thrown us under the bus when they could have told us the truth.  Both would have hurt us, but one wouldn't invalidate us.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 19, 2016 11:03 pm  #8

Well said Kel. You really should write a book! (I'd buy it.)

July 20, 2016 9:44 am  #9

Keepinghope wrote:

Well said Kel. You really should write a book! (I'd buy it.)

We're all waiting for the book, yes.    Title I think is "Run Like Your Hair is on Fire"..      Always well written and helping here.  

One thing I learned here and in my own life with TGT is you can't make up the crazy things our gay spouses subject us to..  Never in my wildest dreams could I have written a fiction book with my ex-wife's craziness; ie.  " I know we're divorced but you have to keep paying my charge bill.  Yes, there are hotel rooms on it, so".

Last edited by Rob (July 20, 2016 9:44 am)

July 21, 2016 9:00 pm  #10

Kel -
All well said. One thing I would say slightly differently though: "When they go behind our backs, they're telling us that they don't love us enough to respect us - they will just take what they want, and to hell with our feelings and hearts."

I agree that is how we experience it. But I don't think that is their internal experience. I would say "When they go behind our backs, they're telling themselves that it's better to take a chance and try to get away with it and hide it, rather than face the truth about themselves. They fear that everyone will think being gay means they are bad, evil people, and they fear that because on some level they themselves believe it too."

What I'm saying is, I don't think it's got anything to do with us, including whether they respect us or not, or love us enough or not. That's a side effect that implies it's something about us. I think it's entirely about THEM - meaning, their fears, anxieties, paranoias about what someone is going to think about them if it were to become known that they are gay. It's not so much that they disrespect us, it's that they are afraid of others' reactions to them, because on some level, they agree with those people. They're stuck in a catch-22, and unfortunately, we get pulled into it as well.

The net effect is still the same for us, the disrespect and disregard, but the motivation behind their behavior is about protecting themselves at ALL costs. Fear is what drives them to disrespect us. What they don't see is that their paranoia becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited by BryonM (July 21, 2016 9:25 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

Board footera