OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2017 1:17 pm  #1

Anyone use humor to cope?

I tend to make jokes during times of stress. This situation hasn't changed that.

To lighten things up a bit, does anyone have any funny stories or comments to throw out??

GID went to lunch with this girl he used to work with.... I asked who he was going with and he said Amanda. I said "A-man-da hug n kiss"???? 
I'm so bad 😈

Also the other day I needed to ask him something and he was in the master closet.  I said "could you come out of the closet real quick?"  I had so much trouble containing my laughter.  Sigh. I wish these jokes didn't have the meaning they do.

April 11, 2017 2:17 pm  #2

Re: Anyone use humor to cope?

As a humor writer by trade, yes, I do use it to tamp down and dilute the horrific pain!
Like when I posted "Beard for Sale: Worn for 12 years but like new." Or it was something along those lines. I wanted to post it on Facebook, but thought better about it. So I posted it here. Hope you all are doing OK. I made up this quote that will become my new mantra: "There is nothing more powerful than a woman with options." Or in Rob and Phoenix and others' cases, a man with options.

Last edited by Piper55 (April 11, 2017 2:19 pm)

April 11, 2017 3:04 pm  #3

I love to laugh and when I was taking care of my mom who had Alzheimer's it was the only thing that kept me sane. I think a sense of humor is one of my favorite things in people.  Anyone can have a nice smile or big boobs, but being funny and seeing the humor in things is a true gift

April 11, 2017 7:49 pm  #4

I use humour all the time.

When someone tries to laugh at me for a mistake I say "no wonder she left me"

When someone acts sorry for themselves about doing something dumb "Oh please, I married a lesbian".

April 11, 2017 8:18 pm  #5

iamthelorax wrote:

I use humour all the time.

When someone tries to laugh at me for a mistake I say "no wonder she left me"

When someone acts sorry for themselves about doing something dumb "Oh please, I married a lesbian".

Hahaha. I love it.
I'm a bit of a smart alek so I enjoy your humor.

April 11, 2017 10:36 pm  #6

My ex and I had one "fatal similarity" - we both liked women. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 11, 2017 10:55 pm  #7

phoenix wrote:

My ex and I had one "fatal similarity" - we both liked women. 

Does that make me a gay man??  Haha.
I may have made one too many jokes earlier... one was about Uranus.   Oops.

April 12, 2017 2:49 am  #8

We always inject humour into every situation (you'd go crazy if you didn't!)

Even in the very early days, while STBX was still living in the house and my son was visiting, he was jokingly expecting me to clear away after him and I told him there isn't a fairy living here anymore (growing up the kids used to refer to the fairy doing their laundry, clearing the counter tops etc!!)

"Except ME" comes from the room my STBX was sitting in!

There are so many times with friends we have to laugh at it, I laugh when I'm nervous anyway. That's how I deal with stuff in general be it funny or not!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 12, 2017 5:42 am  #9

Foolme wrote:

We always inject humour into every situation (you'd go crazy if you didn't!)

Even in the very early days, while STBX was still living in the house and my son was visiting, he was jokingly expecting me to clear away after him and I told him there isn't a fairy living here anymore (growing up the kids used to refer to the fairy doing their laundry, clearing the counter tops etc!!)

"Except ME" comes from the room my STBX was sitting in!

There are so many times with friends we have to laugh at it, I laugh when I'm nervous anyway. That's how I deal with stuff in general be it funny or not!

That's so funny!!!
Oh and I'm the laundry fairy here but I sure can't imagine my husband saying that.  Ha!!!!

April 12, 2017 8:45 am  #10

Piper55...
"There is nothing more powerful than a woman (or man) with options."

I absolutely LOVE this. Thank you for the reminder this morning. Sometimes I get stuck playing small and I forget that I always have options.

Board footera