OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2017 9:12 am  #1

My Husband & His Priest Lover

Hi everyone,

It's comforting to know this network exists where people understand the complex situation we go through.

My husband and I have been together for almost 14 years and been married for 11 years. I always wondered there was something wrong in our relationship but I just couldn't figure out. I thought probably it was normal to feel that way because no relationship is perfect. I just hold on to the thought that as long as we love each other then we're ok. There had been so many ups and downs just like a normal relationship. Most of the time I wondered is it me or am I just not good enough? I just couldn't figure out but just accepted the way our relationship is. Never had I thought we would divorce because we and our families are devoted Catholics. My husband served the church when he was young and almost pursued priesthood. His Mom goes to church everyday.

March of last year I noticed he became so detached and more depressed. He'd been depressed for the longest time though he refused to undergo counseling or therapy. It was never diagnosed but he has so many signs of depression. There were times I thought he might be bipolar, he might need psych consult, he's very grouchy, etc. He lost his Mom Feb of 2016 and I tried to support him the best way I know and I thought it was just part of the grieving process why he became more and more depressed. For more than a year, even with the slightest misunderstanding, he would bring up the topic about divorce. I tried to understand him and be more patient thinking it's just a phase but I never stopped to be the caring wife he always knew and he thinks I overdo it a lot of times. Deep inside I felt he has to reciprocate even a bit but I love him and I just need to be more patient and understanding. He'd been postponing working on having a baby. I'm now 35 and the past 2 years I told him I'm ready and I'm not getting any younger and he always says 1 more year and so on.

There were 3x last year he planned for vacation "alone to find himself" how he describes it. About 1 week and sometimes a little over. I just couldn't get why he always doesn't want me to join him so I can support him. I felt so neglected but I supported him if that's the only way he can get through the grieving process.

End of December last year he said it's over, he's done and needed space, he's moving out and he wants divorce. He doesn't care what other people will say. I was shocked and asked him what's wrong? Is it me? Do you need another time alone? I kept on asking what can I do to make him change his mind, I was bargaining and even begging. He said it's not me, it's him. He's not happy and he doesn't love me anymore and I deserve someone far better but he wants us to still be friends. My world just crumbled and I cried for days and up to now, I still do. I just can't figure out. We lived in one roof for almost 3 months and I would still prepare food for him and all the things a wife should do but for a year he didn't want to touch me and I felt so unwanted. He said he will move out March just before his next month-long vacation.

On February 18 of this year, I got so curious and secretly played with his iPad while he was at work. I tried to reset his passwords because I had a feeling something's going on. I've asked him if there's someone new and he kept denying. I was so shocked to what I saw and read. I was shaking the whole time! I even listened to the voicemails, I couldn't believe it. Now I figured out what's going on. He came home and I promised myself I will let him eat and rest and will ask him nicely but when I saw him, I couldn't hold my anger. He still kept denying even when I mentioned the other guy's name. I showed him the proof and he cried. He cried like a baby and he said he was so scared for me and for others to know. He said he's so sorry and that he loved me before, he loved another girl before our relationship and this is the only time he actually entered a same sex relationship but he sometimes catches himself appreciating other men but just tried to fight it for decades. He said he loves him and since he was in school grade he already knew his orientation but his family won't accept that. He even admitted he actually didn't want to have a baby because of the fear that his kids would turn out to be like him. I asked him until when were you planning to deceive and betray me? I don't deserve this! He said he was going to tell me but just couldn't find the right time. I couldn't feel the sincerity of his apologies at that time. I felt he was just sorry he got caught.

The more disturbing part was this other guy is a PRIEST. God help me understand. He knew him since he was in high school but never had a romantic relationship back then. It was only after my mother-in-law died last year that the priest asked him why he didn't invite him on our church wedding (we had a civil and a church). And so they met, and probably my husband also found comforting words from that priest while he's grieving after his mom passed away. This shook my faith. I couldn't even go to church anymore thinking I would see a priest, hear his sermon but think of that priest who "ruined" my marriage. I wanted to write to the Pope so that priest can be denounced and so on and so forth. I was angry! But I held my self, I still have conscience. I was even willing to give my husband  a second chance and we can agree on something so he'd stay. I never thought I'd give second chances till that day but he said that's too unfair for me.

Before we got married, I've been hearing some people jokingly say he's gay, I just ignored it because I loved him and I thought he was just brought up by a very religious family and that he had some feminine traits which I stopped noticing or probably just ignored. There were couple times from our fights I just said without thinking "what are you some kind of a gay?!" He just kept quiet and tried to shift the conversation.

He still has a week left from his month-long vacation and most probably with his lover but he wouldn't tell me the details cause I'm still mad although we wants us to still be friends. He said he'd feel sad if he sees me with another guy and know I have kids in the future but he'd be happy for me because that's what I deserve. He begged me not to tell the Church about his priest lover because he will be ostracized. They've hurt me so bad and my husband got mad at me for messaging that priest a day after I found out because I was mad at that time. That priest never replied but he told my husband. My husband wanted to protect him and said he'll do anything (except reconciliation) for me as long as I don't tell the church, his family, friends or anyone about it. I still love him and I understand what he is going through and feels empathic. His other request is for me to sign the divorce papers as soon as possible once it's ready and to not give him a hard time. He left 3 weeks ago. Wow, he is asking too much right away. I am so deeply hurt and I just can't wait for the day that I can say I've fully recovered. Seeing him so happy in his pictures makes me feel worst why he can recover that fast. I've been having these chest pains for weeks and I feel so alone so I decided to share and hoping for some enlightenment. Thank you, everyone.

April 11, 2017 10:28 am  #2

Re: My Husband & His Priest Lover

myhubby,
So sorry you find yourself here.    Your username betrays you though.. You are so much more than a wife who's been cheated on by a gay husband.   The lover being a guy is horrible....the lover being a priest just makes it even more horrible.   I think you have a lot of us beat there.

"..My husband wanted to protect him and said he'll do anything (except reconciliation) for me as long as I don't tell the church, his family, friends or anyone about it. I still love him.."

You can look at from the point view of your faith where God says 'vengeance is mine'  and  you can look at it from a point of view of what is in it for you.    In this case telling the church or his family in anger may not buy you much except some immediate satisfaction..  it will not make him come back to you.   And you don't want him to..
On the other hand keeping his secret for leverage at some point in the divorce process may be to your advantage.   I kept that in back pocket... my get out of jail free card should the divorce go all the way  (to trial).   I could have gotten her girlfriend in trouble and even unemployed but to what end... so I could get more rage and wrath from her...  Nope...very little in it for me.    I most certainly told family and close friends, the SSN, even my priest about why I had to leave my then wife.   Even my priest told me  God would not want me to live in an abusive marriage with a cheating wife.

So time to build YOUR support system,  and take care of YOU..  Do not give him a second thought... you want to get away from him and you want a good divorce settlement..  See what your lawyer says about TGT and if it can be used at all..   Depending on your state it may nor may not make any difference.  
Off the paper you can simply tell him, if the divorce is going badly ,that you want it more in your favor or you'll tell...     These GID spouses are paranoid.    Happy in his pictures you say... you can see how happy he'll be having to respond to the divorce complaint and settlement.

Write back for support. Small steps.. always foward.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 11, 2017 10:30 am  #3

There are so many similarities in our stories; I'm hurting for you because I understand your pain!  I am only a few weeks since learning about DHs "alternate desires.". I wish I could give you something and take all the pain and confusion away.  Some things I've heard through some of the people here help...do you!  Pick up a hobby, take care of yourself, massage, mani-pedi, read a book, join a club, anything so you are focusing n you. 
I don't know if you're ready but just for fun, make a profile for yourself on a dating app.  You don't have to go on any dates but just fill out your profile and see which people show an interest. It can be good for your self esteem and I'm sure amazing to remember how it feels to be desired by a man who wants all of you!
I wish I could offer more but I'm actually not as strong as you've been.  I guess well kind of be going through this together.
Hugs!!!!
Shari

April 11, 2017 11:00 am  #4

Wow..  reading your story reminded me of so many similar issues I had with my ex.  I completely empathize with you and I feel your pain.  All of us on this forum know this pain.  I'm so glad you found us and had the courage to share your story.   It's very healthy to write things out and get them off your chest.  We are here for you!

I'm so sorry you are going through this struggle.  You have been betrayed in the worst possible way.  Your husband is a fraud and lied to you about who he is.  He has used you as a "beard" to make himself look like a straight man and help him hide his homosexuality.  He has lied to you, cheated on you and hurt you.  
You deserve better!    Let us know how we can help you start your journey.  You have so much wonderful life to live.  You will find a fantastic loving husband who will share your faith and desire a family.  You will have a wonderful life.

I would encourage you to keep your heart open to your faith.  I understand that attending a Catholic church would be very hard to do since it was a priest that your husband cheated with.  But, please remember that all humans are sinners and fall short of God's desire for us.  Even priests are human and are weak.  Perhaps you could find another church to attend?  

My faith has been my anchor through this hard time.  It was hard and I questioned some things and struggled with my faith, but without that, I'm not sure how I would have survived.   I would encourage you to remember that God is faithful.. ALWAYS.   We may not understand why he allows us to endure struggles, but know that He has a plan for you and loves you more than you can possibly imagine.  He's got your back and he'll get you through this trial.   You will come out the other side so much stronger and better for it.

A couple more thoughts for you.

1.)  Please see a Dr.   I'm very serious about this for a few reasons.  First, you need to get checked for STD's for the sake of your own health.  I know the thought of this is incredibly painful, but most of us on this board have realized that what our spouses admit to us when we catch them is usually just the tip of the iceberg.  Second, tell your doctor about your chest pains.  It could be serious.. you are in shock.  Not just metaphorical shock..  real actual physical shock.  That has health consequences.   Also, if you are having any trouble with anxiety or sleeplessness, get some medicine for that.  You want to remove symptoms that make your life more challenging.  

2.)  Start to research the laws in your state regarding divorce.  Check out some attorneys..  most give low cost or even free consultations and you can go ask lots of questions.  You don't have to file right away.. just go ask questions and learn about the process and find out what you can do right now to prepare yourself. 

3.)  Whlie he's away, start taking stock of your situation.  Collect all financial records and documents so that you have the information you will need later. 

4.)  most important - find a support network!   Do you have local family and friends you can count on?  Don't keep the secret and suffer all by yourself.  Find someone to share with you.  Today is your rainy day.. use what resources and friends you have.  It will make a huge difference. 

One last thing..   I would absolutely expose the gay, cheating Catholic Priest.  He should not be allowed to be a Priest.  I'd consider it my duty to help everyone else in the congregation by making sure such a horrible heretic was not in a position of religious teaching any longer.    HOWEVER..  I would play your cards strategically.   Divorce can get ugly.. Having some leverage against the other person can be extremely valuable.  Those secrets might be the leverage you need to earn a much more favorable result.  If that is the case, maybe you use that leverage against both of them for a while...    I did this and it was extremely helpful.  I only had to mention it vaguely one time and she got the picture and wound up being more agreeable than I expected later on. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 12, 2017 5:14 am  #5

I've been quite silent on this for a number of reasons...I completely understand and have experienced what you are going through.  It's awful in so many ways.  You will get through this.  It will hurt, and you'll have to be brave.  Remember who you are, not who others are.  That's what will get you through this. 

There is absolutely no benefit to YOU to share his secret and out his priestly friend.  Sure, it may help you get rid of some of your anger and make you feel like you are in control, but you aren't.  No benefit outside of the temporary relief that "you told the secret" will come of it.  Focus.  Focus on you. Focus on the life you can have away from dishonesty and deception. 

Spend your energy rebuilding your life, protect yourself, and move away from the anger.  You are not the first person this has happened to.  The catholic church is full of this sort of deception and tends to turn to doctrine instead of support in protecting their own.  Trust me on that one.  

I rarely can set foot inside a catholic church even 17 years later because of what happened.  That doesn't mean I lost faith. I have faith in my own abilities, my own faults, and the person I am.  My biggest point of healing was 5 or so years ago when I walked into the very church that married my ex and I, faced the monsignor that both covered up abuse and married us knowing everything, for my ex-mother in law's funeral, who begged me to tell her my ex was gay.  I didn't.  Showing up at her funeral to honor her, walking in alone, addressing the monsignor, addressing my ex and his family, all alone was the best way to show I moved through fire, to myself and to everyone else.  I got lots of genuine hugs that day, but I gave myself the gift of being me, moving through the pain and coming out rid of anger, revenge, and hatred.   I have no need for any of that. 
I'm wishing peace for you as you move through this, with the hope that all of your energy can be directed back into your own heart. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

April 12, 2017 12:47 pm  #6

Hi there.  What you're going through is horrific.  He's been lying to you all along, hon.  That's why you've always felt something was wrong in your relationship but couldn't figure out what it was. (I felt that same way when I was with my gay ex.  I NEVER feel that way with my current, straight husband.)  Your husband has admitted that he's known his orientation since childhood but his family wouldn't accept that.  That means that he's been repressing it all these years - hoping to just ignore the problem, or to just indulge in his brain, but not in his actions.  This does NOT make him straight.  It makes him a repressed gay man who married a straight woman.  Why?  No clue.  He may have done it because he loved you more than any other female he'd ever met, and figured that he could "make it work".  That does NOT mean that he ever felt about you the way a straight man is supposed to feel about the woman he is in love with.  I mean, I love my dog - and want the best for her and feed her well and take care of her needs.  But I don't think about her all day, or envision when I'll see her again.  "Love" is too generic a word to use and understand - he can say he loves you (and even mean it) while it not being the kind of love that he should have had for you in order to marry you.  You'd never know otherwise, though - unless he told you.  And he should have.  He knew.  He just didn't want to admit it.  Because he didn't want it to be true.

I see that you have always put his needs above yours.  Even when you found out he was cheating, you still wanted to have him have a full belly and have relaxed before you hit him with anything heavy.  Think about that for a moment - really...... THINK.  If you didn't feel the need to immediately confront him when you knew that he'd betrayed you, then what WOULD you feel like was important enough to go ballistic over?  You literally feel that he deserves better treatment than you do.  That.right.there is why you've hung in there for so long - because you do not see your needs and desires as important.  Which means you do not see yourSELF as important.  He's going to be on his own side - he's proven that with his actions.  If you don't stand up for yourself, then who will?  Who will be your advocate if you can't even be your own advocate?  You are important, hon.  You are worthy of better treatment than this.  And you need to be willing to walk away from this sort of mistreatment - for your own sanity.  You need to know your own worth before anyone else can.  You teach people how to treat you - by what you will tolerate from them.  And you've taught him that he can do anything he wants, and you'll STILL just want to be with him.  He can go through mourning without you and you're not insulted.  He can go away to clear his head and you're just going to support that need rather than entering any of your own perspective into the mix.  You make excuses for him - because the truth is too hard to look at.

The problem is not the priest.  It's wrong of a priest to have sex at all, much less gay sex.  And it's wrong of the priest to commit adultery with a married person - regardless of their sex.  BUT...... that is NOT the problem here.  Your HUSBAND is the problem for you.  He's the one who committed to you and has broken those vows.  The priest - despite what his religion requires of him - is with a consenting adult.  Your husband never should have BEEN that consenting adult, though.  He had already committed to forsaking all others other than you.  The priest didn't break his promise to you - he broke his vow to the church.  But the person who's hurting you is your husband.  He deserves all your fury in this.

Reporting the priest won't change a thing within your marriage.  You're well within your rights to report him, but it won't gain YOU anything.  Okay - maybe some revenge.  But it won't change a damned thing that your husband has already done to you.  And the LAST thing you need is to report the priest, get this scandal exposed, the priest reassigned, and then your husband to come back to you because you're better than having no one to love.  That is NOT how you need your husband to feel.  That will only create more confusion in your mind.  He's gone - let that be the end for you.  Figure out your life from this point forward - without him.

STOP doing the "Pick Me!" dance.  He has shown that he's not going to be honest with you or others.  He's not going to do things for your benefit.  STOP wanting a man who doesn't feel passionately for you, and show his earnest desire to be with you.  Stop accepting a bouquet of dandelions as an acceptable gift from a grown man who is supposed to be holding your heart.  It's WEEDS, babe.  Stop counting your blessings to the point where you'll count ANYthing as a blessing worthy of bending over backwards for.

Get a counselor - immediately.  Get to the doctor for STD testing.  Visit the lawyer.  Build your support network.  And treat yourself as if you are JUST.AS.IMPORTANT as your husband is.  And don't feel that you owe him anything.  You do not.  He has betrayed you and deceived you and lied to you, and you feel it necessary to accommodate him at every turn?  No!

I'm sorry that you're going through this -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 12, 2017 2:35 pm  #7

Kel, 

What you touch on here about directing the anger toward the husband and not the priest is something I'm still struggling with.  I still place a lot of anger on the married woman my ex cheated on me with.  I can't bring myself to forgive her yet because I feel like she stole the most important thing in my life from me and I want to get even.   I won't of course because I'm bigger than that..  but that' the feeling I have sometimes.  
So why is it that we often put the blame on the other party and not squarely on our ex or current spouse who did the cheating?  Perhaps we still have some love in our hearts for them and want the fault to lie elsewhere so that it doesn't hurt us quite as much?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 12, 2017 2:43 pm  #8

If you still remain a Catholic after the divorce you will need an annulment in order to have the Church recognize any future marriage you may enter into. That might be the time to lay out all the evidence that at the time your husband had same-sex attractions, including about the priest.

I agree with all the others that now is the time to focus on getting strong, physically and mentally, and getting all your financial information together so you can consult an attorney and get an idea what you can expect to receive under the laws where you live. I had to get proof of my divorce out of my "DIVORCE" file recently and in the back were copies I had printed out for myself of emails between a Straight Spouse Network volunteer I had been connected with and me.  I had kept them to remind myself as we proceeded to divorce how irresponsible and impatient he was at the time and how strong I became and progress I had made.

Six years ago on Easter my children and I met at a restaurant by intersecting highways so we could be together. Afterwards on the way home I stopped at the grotto in the yard of a closed church to pray for us: I was broke and broken.

I have posted how happy I am now but I could not have gotten here until I first accepted that I did not WANT to be married to him. He had made the decision to come out and tell me he wanted a divorce but I was so diminished that I probably would have let him move a lover in and kept house for them as long as it would keep the marriage together. He wanted his own place no matter the finances so happily that was never an option.

Make your decisions based upon what is best for you because he is going to only look after what is best for him. Get an attorney who is a good negotiator because the fact he wants this over quickly and quietly can be used to your advantage. Just don't sign anything without your lawyer reviewing it.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

April 12, 2017 3:21 pm  #9

Phoenix,

What the other woman did wasn't right.  But she did not "take" your ex from you.  Your ex LET herself be taken.  If the tables were turned, and you had cheated on her, where would you expect the blame to be placed?  Purely on your shoulders.  Because there is no amount of flirting that it *responsible* for luring you into someone else's arms.  If you see things going in that direction, you make the active choice to keep moving toward it - or at least not away from it.

Sometimes the other person doesn't even know that they're dealing with a married person.  They hold no responsibility whatsoever when that's the case.  When they DO know - and they cheat anyway - that's wrong.  But they do NOT hold more responsibility than your spouse does.  And they cannot STEAL anything unless it wasn't firmly locked up in the first place.

It was your wife's responsibility to not only NEVER cheat, but to guard your marriage as one of her most prized possessions.  If you love something, you cherish it.  If you cherish something, you hold it close - you don't let danger get near it.  This was her responsibility, and she failed at it.  She KNEW she was failing, and she just kept doing it.  Because it felt good.  It was ALL HER, hon.  That other woman can't steal something that had been locked away.  And her heart wasn't locked away.

It's much easier to let your guard down when you aren't getting your needs met.  However, you need to SAY SOMETHING when your needs aren't getting met.  Vehemently and often.  If you wife wasn't doing that - coming to you to tell you that there was a problem and working hard with you to solve it - then this was ALL.HER.  You were likely doing everything that she should have needed, had she been straight.  But she wasn't.  So nothing you did or ever could do would have fully satisfied her.  Only another female could do that.  But if she figured that out, she should have come to you and told you that.  Cheating didn't need to happen for her to decide that this wasn't going to work.

This isn't about you, and it was never about the other woman.  This is alllll about your ex.  And how she did what she shouldn't have.  No one bears any of the blame except for her.  Don't waste any of your anger on someone who never had any responsibility to remain faithful to you.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 14, 2017 10:12 am  #10

I sincerely thank you all for your advices
It means a lot reading it over and over...
receiving different opinions helps me answer the what ifs and how it will affect me in the long run...

It is so painful like a tragedy I never thought I'd be in.
I realized I don't even know who I am now. It's frightening. I lost my identity my self-worth thru the years... but life must go on... It's just so hard to start but I know and it might seem hard to get to it but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Can't stop the tears from falling every now and then.
Friends, family, co-workers just won't stop asking how I'm doing or what happened we "looked like a perfect couple." I appreciate their concern but sometimes I just want to disappear and if I can only say "No, I'm not OK! Yes, we've separated cause my husband is gay, he cheated on me! I don't want to talk about it and stop asking me every single day!"

I've searched a therapist in our area who specializes in mixed orientation marriage and she has a history with her ex gay husband. The pain is REAL and so is hope. Lord help me!

Board footera