OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2017 11:26 am  #1

What part hurts the most? Is it different between men/women?

Hey gang, 

I'm really interested in asking the group for some opinions on this specific topic:

What part of finding out our spouse is LGBT and the divorce that usually follows is the most painful to you?
- Lies?
- Betrayal?
- Selfishness?
- Fraud?
- Emotional Abuse?
- Destruction of your future?
- Emotional cheating when they fall in love with someone else?
- Physical cheating when they have sex with someone else?

How far out are you from finding out and which of the above still causes you the most sadness, anger, and other emotional response?

For me.. I'm 9 months from finding out that she was a lesbian... two weeks later found out that she wanted a divorce and then two weeks later found out that she was cheating on me.  9 months removed and I still have a great deal of hurt and anger and emotion wrapped around the memories and thoughts of her being physically intimate with someone else while being married to me.  That physically intimacy was mine to have.. only mine.. because we were married.. "two become one".  We made vows, etc..  I still have flashbacks to overhearing her talk about having sex with her lesbian lover.  I can still remember the morning after she got home from spending the night with her, when I confronted her with proof and she admitted it.  That is a very deep scar.  It's not the fact that she fell in love with the other person that hurts me today.  I'm not a fan of that of course.  But it's the physical intimacy that hurts me to this day. 

My assumption is that, like me, the emotional or physical cheating is what is the most acute and painful act that our spouses did to us.  
I'm working on a theory that men and women have different values and ties to their ideal of a monogamous and intimate marriage/relationship.  I think for women it's the emotional love that is most important to them and most likely the most painful part of finding out.  I think when they find out the spouse is emotionally in love with another person, that is the most painful thought to process and causes the most hurt.   For men, I think it's the physical intimacy that is most important and the part that hurts the most when they find out about the cheating.  

I think men are wired from an evolutionary perspective to pro-create.  That means they engrained in our DNA is the need to have a physical connection with our significant other.  That physical connection is then the part of our spouse cheating on us that becomes the most painful to lose.   

I think women are wired more for an emotional bond from an evolutionary perspective.  I think they need to have an emotional connection with the significant other and this is the part that is most painful to lose. 

Any thoughts on this?   Any way to use this perspective to help us find healing and overcome the pain?   

Does finding a new spouse help a lot?  Instead of losing you ultimately can replace..  Instead of being short of that need and having a missing piece, you may be able to find a difference person to fill the hole..  I'm sure the pain that was caused will always linger a little, but perhaps when we find someone new it won't be so bad?

My goal for the group is to help us understand what is our biggest trigger from our experience.  Then I think we can work on finding healing from it. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 10, 2017 1:12 pm  #2

Re: What part hurts the most? Is it different between men/women?

I think you're likely correct about being men and women being wired differently and therefore different things hurt us the most.

When I was married, I never had any inkling that my spouse was cheating on me or in love with someone else.  Looking back, I think both of those things happened.  I remember being very confused at that time, but didn't figure it all out until about 10 years after the fact.  I was more upset with myself for not putting 2 and 2 together way back then.  But it didn't hurt very much when I figured it out because I was long over the whole thing and had moved on and was in love again.

For me, the thing I was most angry about (and held him most responsible for) was deciding to let ME handle the fallout of him being gay (within our marriage) vs. him dealing with the fallout himself, like he should have.  In my mind, he couldn't handle coming out, so he didn't.  But then all the problems came out within our marriage, and he let me carry those.  He threw me under the bus to save himself.  That wasn't right.  It was the coward's way out.  Don't deal with people thinking you're gay - let your loving wife deal with thinking the problem is that she's not attractive, or sexy, or interesting enough to capture your attention.  Feed MY self esteem to the wolves because you can't handle who you are.  You stood on my back to get to the high branch - you should have been lifting me up to it.

Yes, finding a new spouse helps.  It's not them being a spouse that helps - it's finding someone who loves you for who you are - and doesn't want to be with anyone else.  It's like a thick balm.  You cannot grieve for your old dog when there is a puppy licking your face.  At the very least you will smile through your tears.  It's not that a new spouse fills the hole - it's that it's hard to be sad while you're being happy.  And when you find someone who makes you feel wonderful about yourself and treats you accordingly (and whom you very much like back), that old hurt just starts to peel off like an old sunburn.

Old pain doesn't linger so much as it scars over.  And it can make for challenges in your relationship.  For my current dh and I, we find that we have the most difficult areas where our scars are the opposite of each others, and they cause behavior that's not easily understood.  I'll give you an example.  I had terrible money problems with my ex - mostly because he was always getting fired or quitting.  And every time, he'd tell me that "it's going to be okay".  I'd ask how.  He'd tell me to have faith.  It was NEVER - not ONCE - okay.  So now when this husband tells me that we're going to do something (buy a house, a car, take a vacation) and I want to see the map.  And he'll lay out 8/10ths of a plan, and say that the rest will figure it out as we go.  And then he says it - "have some faith in me, Hon.  I won't lead you astray".  And I feel like running from the room. If I look at the fact that I've been disappointed a thousand times before, I don't want to move forward. But if I look at HIS track record, it's flawless.

Meanwhile, he often embarks on plans on his own, because his former spouse didn't want to hear of his plans.  They were silly or overblown or not reasonable.  So he will be stashing money away in an envelope toward getting us a new washer and dryer, and I'll have NO.IDEA.  So when he says "Have some faith", all I see is that the bank account isn't up to par to have faith that we can get a new washer and dryer.  My scars make it difficult for me to believe without seeing.  His scars make it difficult to be transparent.  The two together do NOT work.  So I promise to be more full of faith if he can just lay out all his cards.

These kinds of scars can form from any prior relationship, though - it has nothing to do with the gay thing in particular.  The only thing that's cropped up before from that were times when I've wanted sex and he hasn't - it's very difficult for me not to feel rejected in that moment.  Here I handled rejection every day for a decade and a half, but now I can't handle it once.  Weird.  But he knows this about me.  He'll say, "Hon, I'd LOVE to be able to do this with you now, but I'm soooo tired that I just can't.  Tomorrow, though?"  And all the rejection goes away.  And then I make sure to hit him up much earlier the next night (I wait too late - midnight).  And all is well.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 11, 2017 12:20 am  #3

Phoenix - Everything on your list has been particularly painful for me, and it is hard to pick any of them out as being "most" painful.  I have heard though, that for men, just like you say, the physical intimacy with someone else is the real "killer" whether the other person was gay or straight.

Kel - Very good thoughts and I would agree with you totally, except for the part about remarriage, as I have never been out with anyone else since my divorce, even though it has been years, so I cannot speak to that experience.  You are so right though, and I could really relate to the idea of having been thrown under the bus, so he could save himself.  He would have sold his own mother, kids, etc. down the river to save himself.  Better to criticize and denigrate his wife, even to his own children, rather than be honest.  I can't think of anything more cowardly.

I think the worst thing for me is like Kel said:  Having been thrown under the bus and expected to take the hit for him.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

April 11, 2017 2:34 am  #4

I agree with the men versus women phoenix, physical versus emotional.

I was deprived emotionally for so long in my marriage that when he was outed it just all made sense, I'm almost 18mths post TGT but his cheating had started 25 years prior to that, there was never an emotional connection with anyone for him, it was all just physical. When I asked about the vows and commitments we made to each other I just got a snort and he pulled a grimace as if I had two heads to even mention that!!

Given the life he lived and how he was outed and what the fallout has been since then the biggest hurt for me is the throwing me under the bus to garner support for himself, placing the blame on me, showing his true narcissism. And I must say his family's behaviour in the last 18 months is appalling, people whose lives I was a part of for 30+ years had just dismissed me so casually and callously, they've managed to do this to my children also and they're blood - it's appalling to witness from people who are so all about FAMILY!!! 

In the past few days I've learned of things that they've said about me and my family over the last few months and it's so hurtful, it's so insular and deluded. They're a family that can live with anything once they twist it to justify it to themselves and then that's their reality. The parents justified everything the children did growing up to make it easier to live with and now the children as adults do the same and it's all lovely, they're this great little happy family that's so f*cking perfect in their own delusion, but they're not my monkeys anymore, they can party on in their own little freak show of a circus. 

My STBX has distanced himself from two of our children and again this is unbelievable to witness, he said he lived this life to protect the children, to wait until the children were adults and could deal with it - wasn't that so thoughtful and generous of him?!!!! NOT! Now that two of them have issues with how he's handled himself post TGT he's not bothered. It's my bitterness has turned them against him! How he can live with himself and look in his mirror every day is beyond me. Actually how he looked at himself for the previous 25 years is beyond me too but he did and he can! He's in his teenager phase, it's all about him and he's the only victim here, himself and his mother (she's a victim too btw) LOL it'd be funny if it wasn't so f-ing ridiculous.

This has turned into a right rant!

All the questions you've posed phoenix apply to me but how he's behaved in the aftermath of TGT trumps it for me, that takes the biscuit big time. The narcissism is the one I didn't see all the previous years and now it's loud and proud I wonder how I missed it! FOOL ME!!!

Last edited by Foolme (April 11, 2017 6:04 am)

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 11, 2017 5:30 am  #5

I think for me the rejection that was based on deception hurt me the most. I went from the strong and confident woman he met in 2000 to a blob of insecure emotional basket case a few years later. I can remember many times after I coerced him into those very mediocre 2 minutes of robotic eyes-shut oddly rhythmic sex, lying in bed crying as he jumped up to go "wash me off" of his privates. There was no post-coital afterglow to bask in. I was left there alone, trying to make sense of things.

I had been cheated on before and I survived. For me, that hurts but not as much as the way he treated me.

April 11, 2017 5:33 am  #6

I found this excerpt that someone wrote online that really struck a chord
D

"I was abjectly and repeatedly sexually rejected by my ex-husband, in the most intimate way a person can be rejected. But I had no idea why. I intuited that he might be gay; I even prayed that he was, because it would have explained the soul crushing rejection. I asked him on different occasions; he always denied it. He left me to guess, to ruminate, to wander in a desert with no answers, to live in an ether of doubt and questioning. And he left me to conclude I was the problem. My body image suffered, my self-esteem collapsed, my soul was damaged, my trust obliterated. I was devastated not to feel desired by my own husband; I was devastated my own husband did not want my touch. My sexuality was a threat to him, a reminder of his own homosexuality, which he was desperately running from. So he had to shame my sexuality and shut it down."

April 13, 2017 2:18 pm  #7

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 2:34 pm)

April 13, 2017 2:40 pm  #8

Lisa4kids, I have saved that excerpt also."

And he left me to conclude I was the problem. My body image suffered, my self-esteem collapsed, my soul was damaged, my trust obliterated. I was devastated not to feel desired by my own husband; I was devastated my own husband did not want my touch. My sexuality was a threat to him, a reminder of his own homosexuality, which he was desperately running from. So he had to shame my sexuality and shut it down."

Phoenix, (and all)
I am 4 months post-disclosure.  We ( 5 kids and I) are still experiencing the emotional aftershocks.  He has moved out, and that helped a great deal.  Gaining my own power back is step by step. (Mostly baby steps!)  But each step is a celebrated victory.  I am slowly but surely reclaiming who I am.  Rebuilding on the ruins of my self-esteem. 

My children are amazing.  So much hurt.  A lot of my power is coming in the form of protecting them in the form of boundaries with their dad.  The older 3 want NOTHING to do with him (Dad made sure to tell the older 3 everything  and how it's all my fault), and the younger two are ok with him, and they miss him.  (The younger ones don't know about TGT yet, or his boyfriend.)  They all take a lot of extra TLC right now which is completely understandable.  There isn't much time, and certainly there is a deficit of energy left for myself and my own repair work.  I have a counselor for a few more weeks and she is always encouraging me to do something for myself.  I've started on a new project and that feels great.  I'll tell you all about that in another post.

So the hardest things to overcome are:
1.  My battered self-esteem (so lonely sometimes, I feel so pathetic!)  For me, I think the emotional and the physical are kind of mixed up together.  We had no physical relationship for years.  It hurt so much, I truly thought it was my fault. 
2.  He left me to pick up all the pieces.  Kids emotional health is in shambles.  Financially unstable.  House is a wreck and he still has stuff here!
3.  Dealing with the fact that he is with someone else has been a surprisingly difficult obstacle for me.  I really did love him.  Accepting that I was just plain old duped for 17 years is the harsh reality.  

So much more to say, but I'll try to say it another time.  You all help me so much.  I am already better than I was in November.  Just keep moving forward, but each step is hard won, as you all well know. 

April 13, 2017 5:30 pm  #9

I've been thinking about this off and on for the last couple of days and I think what really hurts me the most, when I look back on things (it's been years), is that I trusted so, so much, and told him my most private thoughts, hopes, dreams, fears, etc. all with the idea that he loved me and that I could trust him.  In addition to my deepest and most private thoughts, he also of course had access to the most private parts of my body - he, a man who for all practical purposes turned out to be a complete fraud.  That was using and abusing someone beyond belief.  He never has acknowledge his true sexual orientation to my knowledge and continues to seek cover and use others to keep his secret.  I think it is criminal behavior even though there are no laws against it; criminal in a moral sense.  Something not all that different from kidnapping, drugging, sexually assaulting, etc. - for years, and years.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

April 13, 2017 6:48 pm  #10

Lake breeze it does feel like the ultimate betrayal.
I'm still seeking answers but I have some of those same feelings.  Hugs

Board footera