OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2017 9:27 am  #1

A Message from our Founder, Please help if you can.

Straight Spouse Network exists to provide services and support to people who are often going through a terrible time of their lives. There is never any charge for this service. However, there are some operating expenses and these are funded entirely by donations. We understand that those who need our services are often in precarious financial straits as well. Please consider helping IF YOU CAN. If you can't, and if we've helped, please consider helping sometime in the future if and when you can.

Sam

The following is a letter from our Founder, Amity Buxton:
Dear Friends,

My husband came out to me in 1983, but I remember it as if it were yesterday. After I somewhat recovered, I communicated with hundreds of straight spouses and post-disclosure couples worldwide and discovered those feelings of being confused and alone are emotions many of us share at the onset. I founded the Straight Spouse Network in 1991 as a worldwide network of support, education, and advocacy for straight spouses of gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender partners and mixed-orientation or trans/non-trans couples. My dream is that there will eventually be no need for our organization – but meanwhile, we have a lot of work to do.I’m writing today, twenty-six years later, to ask for your help to ensure the continuation and growth of services of the Straight Spouse Network.

In 2016 alone, almost 2,000 Straight Spouses came to us for support and were triaged to ONE OF THE OVER 157 individual Support Contacts and/or Support Group Facilitators worldwide. Our website averages over 400 hits a day.  Through the years, we’ve reached and educated thousands of professionals about our experiences via articles, blog posts, presentations, videos, and podcasts. For 2017, the Board and staff are working with me to plan ways to strengthen our programs and reach more people.

Your donation is urgently needed to allow us to continue to respond to the needs of post-disclosure straight spouses and couples as we were able to respond to you.
So, with our Board of Directors, I invite you to help us do more with a tax-deductible gift toward a fundraising goal of $20,000 by April 15. Your donation will go directly towards our programs to serve these straight spouses and couples in their need and to educate the public about their unique issues. As the founder of the Straight Spouse Network, I encourage you to consider an automatic monthly donation.Please help us extend our reach to support the tens of thousands of straight spouses, couples, and families around the world!

With sincere thanks, 

Amity

Donate 

March 18, 2017 12:19 pm  #2

Re: A Message from our Founder, Please help if you can.

Done.  Dedicated to the often overlooked.  There is a bright side, keep moving. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 18, 2017 12:26 pm  #3

Sam,
This is a lifeline.  Unfortunately, I am one of the poor ones, here.  Thank you for all that you do.  Some day, I hope to pay it forward, financially.

March 18, 2017 12:29 pm  #4

jkpeace, I dedicate my donation to you and all here that are towing the line.  In honor of you, your strength, and your positive influence here on the boards.   

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 18, 2017 8:42 pm  #5

Sure..let me ponder the amount.  I dedicate my amount to all the folks on the forum/board that helped me.
I also dedicate my amount to the local SSN people that helped me. 

Last edited by Rob (March 18, 2017 8:42 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 18, 2017 8:55 pm  #6

Thank you, Maresyd.  I am so touched.  I look forward to the day I can be one of you strong supporters.

May 14, 2017 5:00 pm  #7

I was able to donate a small amount today.  I'll donate when I can.  How did the goal of $20,000 by April 15 turn out?

Board footera