OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2017 12:58 pm  #1

What do you tell people?

My husband is sort of coming to terms with things but still not "out and proud." We are 100% separating and divorcing, trying to keep things amicable. What did you tell people early on? I'm ok with not outting him to the world but I'm not ok with people thinking any of this is my fault or doing.

March 17, 2017 1:48 pm  #2

Re: What do you tell people?

Hi Iris, I'm sorry you find yourself here. I'm not married but just split from my bf - I just say it wasn't working and that it's my decision. You don't need to share anything yet, people may ask but it is your own private business until you feel stable enough to talk about it, if ever. Put yourself first and keep your counsel if you need to. I hope you're ok.

March 17, 2017 2:07 pm  #3

After 3 years being separated and now divorce is almost final, I am no longer "living in his closet." When people find out I am getting divorced and they say, oh, I am so sorry,I tell them it's ok, he lied to me for thirty years about who he really is and left me to figure it out..he is and has been gay all his life! I am 71 years old now and I will not live his lie one minute longer. This is my truth!

March 17, 2017 3:04 pm  #4

Hi Iris, 

Welcome.  I told people things just didn't work out, that we wanted different things.  To friends, I said I was too much woman for him (also the truth). 

People will pry much less than you think.  Unfortunately, divorce is common these days, and telling people it didn't work out is absolutely fine. 

Although people here will tell you you are free to tell his secret, that wasn't something I wanted to do.  I felt it was carrying around his issues even longer.  If he wanted to share who he was, that was his right and responsibility.  I moved on.  

We stayed "friends" for a while until I realized we weren't compatible in many other ways that TGT.  I visited with him, his partner, and their new puppy and had dinner together several times.  I wish them well, but I am not a part of his life anymore.  That's ok with me.  I was tired of the arguing about every little thing and his need to be right about everything.  He unfortunately treated his partner the exact same way.  

It's not your fault.  And it's ok even if it was your doing!  You deserve more.  You deserve the best.  You don't need to explain your reasoning to anyone.  It didn't work out.  

Take care of yourself and keep posting....

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 17, 2017 6:42 pm  #5

Hi Iris!  Only you know best for your situation.  As for me, when people asked what had happened that would cause me to file for a divorce after almost 30 years, I told them the truth.  Along this journey I have come to see what a crafty manipulator I was married to.  He was a master at trying to keep me stuffed in his closet!  As I began to take back my life, I realized this was MY life and MY story, not just his.  I have every right to do whatever is necessary to heal and live a healthy, thriving, self-empowered life.  If this means I share MY story, then I do so.  He and his feelings are not my priority, not my present and definitely and thankfully not my future!

March 20, 2017 8:50 am  #6

Iris, 

Clearly you have to communicate what is comfortable to you.  If you want to keep the reason for the divorce a secret you can just use generic terms like, "we just don't love each other the same way". 

Personally.. I refused to keep her secret to my own detriment. I wasn't willing to have people think less of me or judge me when I wasn't guilty of anything.  How much of the story I told depended on who I was talking with.  I did not disclose anything to her family or people who were her close friends.  That would have felt malicious so I would just say that it was not something I felt comfortable sharing if she hadn't done so already.  That communicated that it was not my decision and not my action.  

Do what you are comfortable with.  

Do not harm yourself to keep his secret though..   I will stand firm on this..  We have all been abused by lies and hurt by our spouses.  The abused should not make their lives any more difficult in order to protect the abuser.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

March 22, 2017 12:50 pm  #7

I tell people that I was married for 16 years to the father of my 3 children, until I found out he liked men as much as I did.  ;)  It usually gets a chuckle.  It lets people know what the issue was while letting them know I'm not sensitive about it and can joke about it.

I'm 6 years post-disclosure though, and re-married.  So no one's asking any more.  There were people who did ask, though - mostly people we went to church with that knew us as a couple.  We'd stopped attending when I decided that I'd wanted a divorce (even before I communicated that to my ex) - mostly because I knew I was going to feel convicted over and over again during hymns and communion that I shouldn't be doing this.  Not that I felt it was wrong so much as I felt that I'd get renewed energy to continue on my path of suffering if I kept going to church.  And I just didn't want that anymore.  So we kind of dropped off the radar, and then years later people would find out we were divorced.  When I bumped into one of them in the local community, they'd sometimes ask what happened.  I'd simply say, "He was gay."  "Oh".  Some said they'd suspected.  Some just stood there with their mouth agape.  No one asked me if he'd cheated, or how I found out.  Even in a mid-western, fundamentalist Bible church, that seemed to be a clincher.  No one told me to just pray on it longer or harder.  No one told me it was my duty to keep on keeping on.  Then again, I wasn't asking for permission to divorce - I was telling them why I'd decided to.  It wasn't open for debate.  If someone ever DID ask me, I'd planned to ask them how they'd feel if they finally found out the reason their spouse had no intimacy with them in over a decade and a half.  People accept what you accept - or they leave.  It's their only choices, really.  If you won't be convinced to do what THEY want you to do with YOUR life, then they either give up and accept it, or walk away because they can't accept it.  That's all their is.

My family didn't want to accept it at ALL.  They were the worst of the bunch - especially my mother, who knew all the issues I had with my ex (outside of the gay thing).  She just wanted what was best for my kids.  I got that.  Until one day when I asked her, "What would YOU do, Mom?  What would YOU do if your husband didn't desire you and you felt like roommates and he never showed you any affection and this was your children's role model for their own marriages?"  You know what she said?  She said, "That DID happen to me (and I knew it had).  I stayed - because I had kids."  And I just said, "And if you knew then that 30 years later, you'd be in the same boat - nothing having changed - would you do it all over again?"  And she said "No."  "Well, that's me right there, Mom.  I know this isn't going to change.  And this isn't a happy home for my kids.  It's not a good example.  And you must be stronger - or weaker - than me - because I just couldn't do that, Mom.  I'm worth love, and acceptance, and passion. And I'm NEVER going to get it here.  So I'm leaving the situation.  Maybe I'll find it if I leave - maybe I won't.  But I SURELY won't if I stay.  So I'm going."  She never asked me again to stay.

For what it's worth - I've heard many people over the years say they got divorced.  I have never, EVER - even ONCE - asked "Why?"  The answer was always going to be that in some fashion, they couldn't work it out.  Period.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 5, 2017 10:30 am  #8

Hi Iris,

We all have our ways of dealing with it and there are some amazing people here whose wisdom and restraint are far greater than mine!!

I don't feel I was very clear or wise in how I spoke with people.  The painful story just leaked out of me (like the gaping bleeding wound it felt like) whenever anyone asked about us.  I would tear up and I felt like a small needy child desperate for someone to ease the pain somehow.  But as many point out, most people are not interested, don't want to know or will judge you or worse.  And the sympathy didn't help either.  Nothing really did.  Time and therapy and time and more time....may I am hoping.

It felt to me at the time that to share the truth of a long history of infidelity with men and women might help, but in hindsight that didn't really help me.  If anything it added to his story of my 'betrayal' of him....added to his endless self-pity and perception of all my 'cruelty' - never is it about his behaviour.   

This Christmas, actually just after, out of anger in a conversation with him and in a mad minute, I texted his whole family.   X is gay.  He has been with men our whole marriage and had a six month affair with a woman to 'check' and I'm the bad parent for telling my sons this?! 

I feel like a vengeful demon at times angry at the destruction, like TGT doesn't matter at all in a way... it is that this person sat in front of me literally for years lying and deceiving me endlessly while criticising me and keeping me confused by alternating distance and with intense closeness after the emotional abuse.  It was and is such a difficult one to get over.  And like the abused spouse that I am, I still struggle to not go to my abuser for validation.  The silence he used to hurt me feels like the no contact that is good for me. 

Anyway Iris I wish you better luck than me in staying amicable.  We started that way.....go gently.  Good luck...

April 7, 2017 7:14 am  #9

Hi Iris

I have finally reached the stage where we are talking about divorce.  I told my family and close friends the truth and they support me and my decision.  I will tell everyone else things did not work out.  I know that they will blame me for this because he is such a likeable guy and no one will believe the things that he put me through this past six years (he fooled me for a long time, how can I blame others when I helped him strengthen that image for years?).  I am not worried about that;  my only concern is my kids, family and close friends and I have their support.  It is up to him whether he wants to keep up his false identity or not. 

Good luck to you.  For me, this is the scariest time of my life.

Last edited by Mrs Lonely (April 7, 2017 7:14 am)

April 7, 2017 10:39 am  #10

"..For me, this is the scariest time of my life.."

Definitely a valley in life..  a season..  a time of unknown but finite duration..
See the thread on fear..
http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=585

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera