OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2017 3:17 pm  #1

Strategies for healing and moving forward?

I'd like to start compiling some resources to aid our group in accepting our situation and moving forward with life. 

Most of us sign up here in the early stages (we often call it the trauma ward).  Everyone experiences this stage differently of course, but most of us get through this in around 6 months.  

So what happens after we come through the trauma stage?  We start to accept being single, being a single parent, running our household on our own.  We start working on our mental health, self-esteem, trust issues, etc..   We start thinking about what we want our future to look like (finding a new partner perhaps?).  

I think our forum does an amazing job helping each other get through the trauma ward, and that's our real purpose. But I think we also have an opportunity to help each other through healing and moving forward with our lives.  

Between myself and Maresyd and anyone else who's interested, we are going to start slowly compiling topics, resources, links to other sites, and most of all..  insight from those of us who have been through this experience. 

I'm not sure if this will turn into a sub-forum or maybe just a sticky post with links to other threads.. but in some fashion we will present this information.   If you see something interesting, please consider posting it or messaging me so that i can keep track.   Keep an eye our for requests from me for input from the group, as much of this will be based on the experiences of our members. 

Thanks!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

March 9, 2017 6:07 am  #2

Re: Strategies for healing and moving forward?

Thanks lostdad! I've started and my list is long.....

We should ask this group if anyone is in need of international resources outside North America;I know there are some from across the pond. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 9, 2017 6:25 am  #3

A friend of mine who is a writer posted this and it needs to be on the blog/list of resources: 

You're not your story. 
You're the love underneath it. 
Spread it like sunshine. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 9, 2017 6:47 am  #4

maresyd wrote:

A friend of mine who is a writer posted this and it needs to be on the blog/list of resources: 

You're not your story. 
You're the love underneath it. 
Spread it like sunshine. 

Right..that's why I have not wrote my story out..im so much more..it's not who I am.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera