OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2017 8:20 pm  #1

Bios vs "Success Stories"

Dear Sam and LostDad,

Is there a place where people could just post their stories?  I get everyone's stories a bit confused, and I want to keep them straight.  In calling the bios "success stories", that may limit who feels they can post.

I would love a spot to just read bios:  Years married, age, children, situation summary...updates on the situation, as it evolves.  As we all know, the stories do NOT much feel like a success story, when we are in the long and struggling rollercoaster phase.

Since there is an "edit" button, anyone could update their own story, at any time.

I often spend a good amount of time trying to piece together stories, but that's hard to do.  I'd love a place where people could post their bio, in as much or as little detail as they feel comfortable.

February 25, 2017 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Bios vs "Success Stories"

This is a great idea!  I second JK's reasons.

February 26, 2017 7:07 am  #3

Its a good idea..   I want to hear people's story ..I want to hear about them and I want to see them succeed.

I thought about writing my story..   but I'm still in it.    I guess didn't want my bio to be "Hi, I'm Rob and my wife left me for a  married woman".      I can't do it (now).  If you knew me.. I was and am such a better person than that.   I hope, one day, to be able to write it.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 26, 2017 3:18 pm  #4

What if we had a single thread in the gen chat area where everyone introduces themselves?  I'm sure people would be willing to share some basic details..  but remember that anonymity is still very important for most of us.

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 27, 2017 6:02 am  #5

I'd love to hear people's stories too! I think it'd help greatly to know you're not the only one fooled by someone for so long (not in everyone's case I know but definitely in some, like mine!)

February 27, 2017 10:45 am  #6

jk - I agree.  I don't come here as much as I used to, it just takes so much longer to muddle through this site than the old one.  It takes so long to find a thread you're looking for in three separate sections with no way to know who is responding to what previous poster.  But I too noticed the "our stories" section had changed.  This was originally where we left our stories so that new posters know everyone's background.  The ones that are in there right now aren't all success stories as much as just bios so we all know who we are and what someone's background story is.  Can we just change that title back to "our stories" or "bios"?  Then if you want to have another place to post success stories we can do that.  It's still anonymous.  thanks!

February 27, 2017 12:47 pm  #7

yes, it's this type of board, the more sections you make the harder it will be to find anything anyway.  The last one was much easier with everything on one page.  This one might be easier with only one section instead of three.  and Maybe it is possible to set it so the replies on a subject are all there to see.  Well except for Sean's thread.  That must be huge by now.

February 27, 2017 12:59 pm  #8

Very much agree with Still Wondering and Lily.  I visit and read far less often on this site than I did the old one, for the same reasons.  No flow - have to search everywhere for things.  I do not find this nearly as helpful and comforting as the old one.

Also, re writing a "bio" or introduction or some such thing.  It pains me greatly to write out anything about my story in detail, and I wind up crying, breaking down,  and my whole day seems to go bad.  Writing out details isn't necessarily for everyone.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

February 27, 2017 5:23 pm  #9

I wrote my story in Word only to get to the end and go....holy crap, it's FIVE pages!!  So I never posted it.  I've been meaning to go back through and take out all the meaningless details - but they all seem important, damn it!!    Lake Breeze - I understand where you're coming from.  I read mine and just get all kinds of pissed.  That's why I don't consider mine a success story just yet.  When I let that anger go I will consider myself officially a success.  Right now I still have days where I'm fine and then days (even four years later) where I want to punch him square in the head. 

Sorry lost dad and sam - you have a heck of an undertaking.  I do still vote for going back and trying the old site.  I know they crashed for several days, and that sucked.  But it truly is so much more helpful. 

February 28, 2017 9:05 am  #10

Thanks for all the input and ideas. 

I can certainly change the "Success Stories" section back to "Our Stories" or something of that sort. 

I'll talk with Sam about some of the other ideas.  I don't think going back to the old forum structure is possible.. but I will  discuss with the boss.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera