OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2017 10:19 am  #1

Bad day

I don't know what I am on here asking for.  To vent maybe.  I don't know but I expect that you'll tell me to kick him out.  Bottom line is I want to stay together to give the kids a normal childhood.  I have that idyllic idea stuck in my head of a mom and a dad and I can't seem to drop it.  I just need it to be tolerable enough to get us through a few more years.

​Counselling isn't going anywhere.  All he's doing is biting his tongue until he can no longer can, this week he started slipping back to his old ways.  Apparently I wasn't paying enough attention to him at lunch and that justified humiliating me at a diner by snapping at me and mocking me as if I was some gaping moron.  I was shocked at first, then I went home and contained myself to try not to cry about it.  What a dick.  I don't know if anyone noticed I hope not.

​I'm just feeling shitty.

February 17, 2017 11:49 am  #2

Re: Bad day

Hi JK,
​Funny it's not the SSA stuff that's getting to me.  I wasn't even sure if I should post here.  He claims he is happy despite for the past several years I've been asking him what was wrong why isn't he happy.  I'm not righteous about people divorcing actually, I'm more of the mind that they should if they're not.  I need to take my own advice.  I just keep thinking I can try to suck it up for a bit longer.  Or cohabitate or something.  I can't decide what to do.
Vicky

February 17, 2017 1:41 pm  #3

vicky, I hope you don't feel too judged here--none of us are in your shoes.  But we know this....you're feeling shitty and your hubby is being an ass to you, at least right now. 

The best remedy for that is to do some self-care...something good that is just for YOU, no one else.  Regardless of whether you stay or leave, or he does, you always can practice that on a shitty day. 

Even if that means wrapping yourself in a blanket, napping, and listening to music or watching TV. 
Head to that place. 

Keep posting, tomorrow is another day. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

February 17, 2017 2:45 pm  #4

Hi Maresyd
​funny you say that, I made an appointment to get my hair cut today.  Not exactly a luxury but it's something I haven't made any time for.  Maybe I'll do some shopping afterwards.  A little retail therapy.

​He just came into my office and we had it out.  Halfway through I said I didn't want to go to counselling anymore and I didn't want to keep trying.  He changed his tune pretty quick from angry and 'I didn't mock you' to apologizing to me if it seemed like he was mocking me because he didn't realize he did.  Wow what a heartfelt apology.  Like he doesn't believe what he did is what happened.  He justified his behaviour by saying he has cabin fever, I asked how that is related.  It just makes no sense to me that he would lash out at me when I'm his closest friend.  If he's lonely and has cabin fever why would he alienate me? 

Vicky 

​Vicky

February 19, 2017 10:25 am  #5

Vicky....Yay!  Good for you that you did something good for yourself. 

Cabin fever, eh?  I think it's more closet fever.  When they get pissed off at us for doing nothing...and it's their own emotions they don't know how to deal with, so they immaturely pick fights and make things our fault. 

I wouldn't want to leave either; where else is he going to find such an understanding friend?  Even though marriage contains friendship, marriage is not a friendship.  It's more than that.  It's mutual respect, which seems to be lacking, and love, which also seems to be lacking.  

My ex and I were a great team for many things, except being married.  Once I got over clinging to the things that I thought I would never have, it made it easier to see everything I wasn't getting that I needed (and eventually I figured out I deserved them, too). 

Keep spending time alone doing good things for yourself.  Go to a park and read a book or listen to music with headphones.  Go to the library.  Keep moving, and really learn to appreciate being away from him and his crazy behaviors....when you need to. 

Remember, regardless of your friendship, you do not have to keep being such a great friend to him if it isn't reciprocal.  Hard for us givers to remember that....

Hugs, M

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

February 19, 2017 11:14 am  #6

M,
  You are such a voice of sanity, caring, and support.  I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you and your posts.  You give wise and practical advice, from such a caring perspective.  
   What you say about marriage strikes me this morning as so very right--it's a friendship, but it has to be more than a friendship.  And how can there be mutual respect and married love--which includes sexual intimacy--when one partner is willing to use the other, either as a beard or to deny their own sexuality, and whose sexuality is at odds with that of the spouse?
   It strikes me that one thing I can do for myself is to accept that.  Fully.  Once I do, I can let go of the anger and the residual denial, and disentangling becomes logistics.  I've thought I was already there, but the upset and anxiety I feel almost constantly tells me that I haven't fully accepted the truth--that my marriage is over, and there's no remedy for that.  I've "known" it, in the sense of being able to articulate rationally all the reasons it's over, but I'm only now beginning to "accept" it, emotionally.  All part of a long and painful process, but one I have to trust.  I want to be the person on the other side of all of this, exhausted, maybe, and empty, cracked and broken, but Leonard Cohen said it best: cracks are "how the light gets in." I want to be in the place where the light can get in.

February 19, 2017 11:42 am  #7

OutofHisCloset, 
All of you here on the boards are so kind with your complements!  Careful, I won't know what to do with it all!

In all seriousness, I do get it because I've been there.  I know the pain, and I now know the joy of looking back on things and not bursting into tears (only on some days). 

I appreciate you all being brave, and honest, and giving.  So needed in this little world here, and out in our big huge world full of judgements and hate. 

Love to you all.  I wish I could get you all in a room and just give you all big hugs. 
M

February 19, 2017 11:44 am  #8

And to you, OutofHisCloset and to all of the ones feeling broken today.....

YOU ARE the light.  You just have to look for it.  It's there, I swear.   I hope wherever you are you feel the sun on your face today and can close your eyes and remember who you truly are. 

February 20, 2017 11:07 am  #9

Vicki,

I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it.  I remember for years before I knew the truth, I felt like all the fights we had were about the fights we had.  As in, "no, that's NOT what I said.  I said THIS."  "No, you said it exactly like that - I could tell from your tone!".  Ish.  When I look back now, we were fighting about fighting.  And it was because we couldn't get to the bottom of the real problem, because he didn't want to admit it.  And so it was a dance around a huge hole in the floor.  It seems ludicrous now that I'm with someone straight and who's a good match for me.  When we do fight, it's about something very obvious, and we fight about THAT.  Not about how we fight.  We discuss the subject, both weigh in, and then consider the other's feelings and make decisions.  We both give as much as we take.  It's not at all like it was with my gay ex - when it always seemed like it was a case being fought in court - where each side puts in their philosophical arguments and tries to "win".  Now it's more like working together on a team - sometimes the pitcher needs to be relieved, sometimes the outfielder needs to be told to look alive.  It used to be more like wrestling - whomever could get the other one to the floor first, and keep them there.  It's sooooo different once you are able to fight about the actual issues and not the issues that crop out of that.  It's maddening when it's about everything but the elephant in the room.  And it will continue to feel that way.

I very much understand your feelings about wanting to keep an intact family for your kids.  I think most of us go through that when we think about divorce - even in straight marriages.  I know I did.  And I was scared of the financial weight of supporting the family on my own.  And leery of having to deal with issues about when Dad came to pick up the kids vs. when he was supposed to, whether he helped them with homework on his weekends, etc.  And I'll be honest - I have and still do deal with some of that.  BUT...... it turns out that I had no IDEA how miserable I was in my everyday life until I got out of the situation and away from it.  I kept thinking that if I could fix X, Y and Z in my marriage, everything would be fine.  They were big things, but they would have fixed stuff.  If I could somehow get him to desire me (and show that) the way a man should his wife, and if he could get and keep a decent job, and if he could grow up a bit and be a parent vs. another kid in the house, then we'd be allllll good.  I firmly believed that at the time.  "Just" these THREE issues.  Now I realize that those weren't the issues at ALL.  Underneath it all was a fundamental issue that he was selfish, and he was hiding that so he didn't appear to be.  So everything was filtered through that - he wasn't telling me that our intimacy issues were because he was gay.  Because he valued his secret more than my happiness.  He wasn't going to counseling because he was fine with his limitations limiting his marriage - he wasn't doing what he needed to in order to be healthy and whole and make the marriage that way, too.   He was having issues with jobs because he valued the status of what his title was more than supporting his family.  So he'd get a job he knew he had no experience or ability to do, and then brag about it until he eventually got fired.  He would not be honest with himself about who he was and what he could do so that he could meet the main objective - providing for his family.  His image was more important.  And he wasn't going to take on equal responsibility with the bills or the kids because he didn't want to.  He'd rather have someone else do all that work while he did what he did like.  He wasn't lazy - he did plenty of work around the house.  But wouldn't  help with the business of planning for and maintaining the family and the household and being intentional about anything.  Because why do that when Kel would do it all?  Who cares if she's screaming that she's overwhelmed and stressed out?  Iiiiii don't want to change.  She can just deal with it.  It allllll came down to selfishness.  And now I have a partner who's not selfish - and puts my needs above his own.  And my world is VASTLY different.  Of course being straight helps.  Lol.  But it wasn't that my ex was gay that was the problem. It was that he wouldn't TELL ME that was the problem - because he valued what he wanted above everything else.  We couldn't deal the problem in realistic ways and make decisions about it because he didn't want anyone to know.  Above all else, HE came first.

I'm so glad I moved on.  I do have an intact family, and it's better and stronger than before.  My current husband is a better stepdad than my ex ever was as a dad.  He wasn't a BAD dad, per se.  But he kind of floated through life - as if he had something else on his mind all the time.  Because he did.  So he never threw himself into his kids' lives or being a unit.  They could do what he liked, if they wanted to be with him.  He wasn't going to do what they liked and take them to the zoo or to the park.  He's BEEN to the zoo this year already.  HE wants to watch a movie.  So the kids can watch movies with him.  That's not a good dad.  That's just a not-bad dad.  And he's still that way.  My kids still have that from him.  AND they have a man who loves their mother and shows them every day what a man who loves his wife looks like.  They see how a marriage should be full of fun and affection.  They would have had an intact family before if I never divorced, but they wouldn't have seen ANY of that.  And what is two unhappy parents worth?  Is it okay just as long as you're all under the same roof?  I'd argue that no, it's not.  That you are affecting the kids in ways that you're unaware of.  I never thought I was showing my sadness or unhappiness to my kids. And yet they say I laugh so much more now - that I am happy.  I didn't know they could tell before that I wasn't.

I hope that no matter what your decision, it gets better for you.  You deserve that.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

February 20, 2017 2:44 pm  #10

Vicky,

Tolerating is not self love and time is valuable.

Do you think you need to heal with self love and that may be valuable to your children - more so than a tolerable situation?     Is it really tolerable? The unhappiness shifts on to you much more so than his new found freedom.

That is how it seems to me.

I found out about my husbands Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder a year ago - then he mentioned all the kinks he was having on top of that.   I worked hard to forgive because it was clear he had substance abuse/mental illness issues as well.

Now he's left - though I forgave and offered a place to heal and go forward... accepting and giving time to heal so we could decide what to do.    He sort of relapsed - took off and now I have filed for divorce with no word from him.

It's very painful with no closure.  Though I forgive - I am hurting so much.  I have had to work hard to heal with self love and learn how to self love.  I lived so long in a relationship focused on helping him "tolerating my marriage vows" - thinking I was doing the right thing but I lost myself.

It's a lot of work but I hope you consider moving on if that is your goal anyway.    You may just be delaying the grief.  You may miss out on time healing you and you may move on faster.

I wish you well.  I know it is very difficult.    I do not have children but I understand why you want to stay.   Be fierce and stay strong.  You can do what  you decide.   You can!

Last edited by JoanTullMN (February 20, 2017 2:46 pm)

Board footera