OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2017 11:39 am  #1

Inspirational Quotes for our group

I think it would be neat to share and compile a list of our favorite inspirational quotes.  I think we can all relate to hearing a saying that really meant a lot to us on some day or during some time when we needed inspiration.  Perhaps we can all share some favorites and perhaps others will read them and find them to be helpful to them as well. 

Please list a great inspiration quote and what it means to you:

"The depth of your grief is equal to the depth of your love."  -source unknown

Within a few days of "D-day" when I found out that my wife is lesbian and that she was going to leave me I was just in utter despair.  I had known other people who had gone through divorce and I never saw them so utterly devastated as I was at that time.  My wife didn't show much pain or concern either and in fact started to give me a hard time about being depressed.  So why was so crushed?  Am I broken?  Am I dysfunctional?  Or perhaps there is a reason that I'm experiencing so much pain.   This quote helped me realized that the level of despair was actually a positive quality.  I meant that I have a very high capacity to love.  If you don't have the capacity to love deeply you will not feel a significant level of loss and grief.  It makes me a great person and my significant other (when i find a good one) will appreciate me so much more because I will love them so deeply. 

Last edited by lostdad (January 27, 2017 11:42 am)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 27, 2017 3:32 pm  #2

Re: Inspirational Quotes for our group

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

..about our worry..
There is also a devotional I will find but it's along the lines of  we're not supposed to ruminate on our troubles going over them over and over..  we're only supposed to go through them once.   I seem to not practice that here.

During my divorce I tried to practice the "give it (insert worry/problem here) to God" philosophy..there was only so much I could handle.     I also took this one step further and gave my problems to my lawyer (let her earn her money) and to my ex  (the "not my problem" bucket).

For we live/walk by faith, not by sight.   -  2 corinthians 5:7

I could not see the end but the hell I had to endure trying to separate from my gay cheating narcissistic spouse had an end...I could not see it ..it went on so long.  But there is an end..  the pain we are in cannot go on forever.    I learned to live by my faith only..some days knowing  only that God had some plan for me and I should get out of bed if only for that.   

"Don’t settle in the valley.
It’s only temporary.
The valley is not your home. "   -  Joel Osteen "blessed in dark place  Message# 634"

"The valley is temporary.
It’s not your permanent home.
You are not a citizen of the valley."      - Joel Osteen "You're coming out  Message# 623"

Can be read at:
http://anointedmessagesnotes.blogspot.com/2014/10/blessed-in-dark-places-joel-osteen.html

http://anointedmessagesnotes.blogspot.com/2014/06/youre-coming-out-joel-osteen.html

As I sat in my safe spot while my then wife swore and raged in the other room I knew this was not where I belonged anymore.   I would not stay in an abusive marriage where I was hated.  There was an end.

Last edited by Rob (January 27, 2017 3:58 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 27, 2017 6:20 pm  #3

Fantastic post Rob!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 28, 2017 8:38 am  #4

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt

January 28, 2017 1:36 pm  #5

A line from one of my favorite poems:
"So you plant your own garden, and you decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. And you learn that you really CAN endure, you really ARE strong, you really DO have worth." 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 28, 2017 6:46 pm  #6

Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity. Coco Chanel

Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable,be honest and transparent anyway.
Mother Teresa

No legacy is so rich as honesty. William Shakespeare.

January 30, 2017 3:28 pm  #7

"What you allow is what will continue."

"You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got."

"You were given this life because you were strong enough to handle it."

"New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings."

"You don't have to be born beautiful to be wildly attractive."

"If it can be destroyed by the truth, then it deserves to be destroyed by the truth."

"You will have to draw the line between determination and desperation.  What is truly yours will eventually be yours, and what is not - no matter how hard you try - will never be."

"If I treated you the way you treat me, you would hate me."

"You cannot save people - you can only love them."

"Don't make someone a priority if they only make you an option."

"Wait for the one who would do anything to be your everything."

"Never love anybody who treats you like you're ordinary."

"Your attention, please: No one is coming to save you.  This life of yours is 100% your responsibility."

"Givers need to set limits - because takers rarely do."

"If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave."

"We are only as blind as we want to be."

"If the words don't add up, it's usually because truth wasn't included in the equation."

"Life is tough, my darling - but so are you."

"It doesn't matter how this looks to other people.  If this is something you gotta do, then you do it.  Fighters fight."

"We all eat lies when our hearts are hungry."

"They told me I couldn't. That's why I did."

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 30, 2017 3:42 pm  #8

Wow.. Kel is an encyclopedia of inspirational quotes...   And they are fantastic!  

July 24, 2017 6:14 am  #9

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 24, 2017 12:18 pm  #10

These are good, I needed them today - thank you

Board footera