OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2017 9:49 am  #1

Positive Ways to Handle Memories

Deleted

Last edited by jkpeace (June 24, 2017 4:52 pm)

January 22, 2017 1:31 pm  #2

Re: Positive Ways to Handle Memories

jkpeace, 

Of course they weren't all false.  Your husband has/had love for you.  You built a family together.  

What you speak of, "knowing all my intimate moments were not what I thought they were."  This has to be the hardest of anything we go through.  But we do it to ourselves.  I still struggle with trust issues when someone wants me, because I wonder when it will go away, and if it is actually real.  It's a uniqueness no one will understand but the people on this board.  

I think I shared with you that our best friends prior, during, and after our marriage, had lost their 6 month old to SIDS, and a few years later, we lost our friend to a massive and sudden heart attack.  During this time, he and his partner were mostly the ones in contact with our friends, because the guys were friends before "we" all became friends.  It was best for me to leave the memories of the 4 of us behind, and I was replaced anyway by his partner.    But during those moments of grief, our friendship and love for our friend brought back many memories of all of our great times.  Those didn't go away because he was gay.  They were still great times.   I had to sit with him and his partner, and our friend's grieving wife and kids, and for once, it was not about him.  It was about all of us.  Sounds ridiculous, but it was incredibly healing to know that.  Afterwards, his partner came to me to thank me for being such a positive force in my ex's life.  He also shared how much it hurt to hear all of the happy times we all had.  As hard as it was for me to hear that without wanting to say, "oooh....violins please...." I realized that we all have our own pain, and our own ways to process memories. 

Don't mistake your happy memories for lies.  Not all of your memories are lies.  He did love you.  Just not in the way that you needed or deserved.  It would be hard for me to believe that there was nothing there, ever, at all.    But that's just me, glass half full.  

Your oldest daughter may be a support here; I remember you saying she understood.  Looking at photographs always put me to tears, but I saved many of our adventures to remind myself that there were great things we did together.  Regardless of TGT, how he treated me, how I was destroyed, I still rebuilt.  Looking at those photos now, it feels no different than looking at a photo of a lost loved one.  

Be good to yourself, JKPeace.  Feel what you feel when you feel it.  You have no need or responsibility to spare your children from your feelings, but I understand that you love them and want to protect them.  Maybe framing them differently and focusing on the good and fun things you all did together as a family will help in the times you are seeing red about what he did, who he is, or how he's acting.  I always thought of it as a wishful place in time that I had , even if for a moment, of him.  And it helped. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 7:43 pm  #3

I think this is a great topic to discuss.  I've been struggling with this as well.  Naturally over the course of x years of marriage (16 in my case) you build up a ton of memories.  This was nearly half my life.  In the course of any given day, I get a few triggers..  things that I remember from the past.  Most of these should be fond memories.  Example..  seeing a restaurant we visited for a special occasion, thinking of a funny line from a movie that we used to joke about to each other, a friend's wedding memory, something that happened with a pet we used to have, etc..   These used to be fond memories, but now they have baggage.  The memory itself is a good thing, it was something that made me happy at the time.  But, now, the memory comes with "baggage", an asterisk, a hashtag, a memo, a dark cloud, a hidden truth. 

How do we learn to remember the positive part of the memory and discard the baggage that comes with it now that things have turned sour with our ex?

I'd love to learn this.. for myself and as a group.  I think it would be a very helpful study and exercise for all of us. 

Great idea JK!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 22, 2017 9:12 pm  #4

Hang in there, lostdad.  Eventually those memories won't feel like they have baggage.  It's really raw right now.  

Separating the positive and happy from what happened after is a struggle.  But if you travel back there, it's likely it really WAS happy.   Life changes.  Circumstances change.  

When we let the cloud of lies taint everything, it can get pretty dark.   She is who she is now.  Once you accept that, forgive, and move forward it will get easier.**    I promise!  

**side note:  many people will think I'm insane for saying this when they are reading.  They will cross their arms, refuse to accept, refuse to forgive, and refuse to move forward.  While there is value in moving through every emotion this horrible situation brings...there is little value in holding on to it such that it harms your spirit and soul.  

You guys are both doing great.  Keep moving.  Keep supporting your hearts and your authentic selves.  It DOES get better. 

Hugs

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 9:32 pm  #5

maresyd wrote:

.  Once you accept that, forgive, and move forward it will get easier.**    I promise!  

**side note:  many people will think I'm insane for saying this when they are reading.  They will cross their arms, refuse to accept, refuse to forgive, and refuse to move forward.  While there is value in moving through every emotion this horrible situation brings...there is little value in holding on to it such that it harms your spirit and soul.  

This is SOOO hard!   I know it in my head.  At some point I need to forgive and move forward.  It's so hard to do that.  But you are right that holding on to the grudge, the hate, the anger..  it winds up being a weight that holds us back.  It's something i'm aware of mentally, but a long way from it in my heart.  

I feel like I need to turn my new life into something positive before I can forgive.  Example..  when I find a new love for my life.  Then perhaps I will be able to see that life has turned for the better and I can let go of the anger about the past.  But, while things are still bad and painful and I'm lonely.. I think it's natural to be angry at the person who put us in this situation. 

Good stuff to talk about though!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 22, 2017 10:44 pm  #6

I would ask does it matter now ?  Knowing one way or another does not change the outcome. To use someone else's analogy - we just got hit by a meteorite.. I think you need to look forward not backwards. One day you can assess what it meant from a happier place.  Right now it's about what is ahead of you and not the past.

January 23, 2017 11:06 am  #7

JenS wrote:

I find that the more I write about this stuff on this board, the more upset I get at him and I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing.   But memories are just really tough.   Maybe for me it's just better right now to look only in a forward direction.  

Everyone will experience stages of grief and pain as we move through the process.  It's the death of the our old life and love and the birth of a new one.  We all will go through those stages at a different pace and in different orders.  Getting upset is one of those stages.  It is perfectly normal and healthy.  In fact, it would be unhealthy to try to skip over this stage in the process.  What you are finding is that being here and reading and writing and sharing your thoughts is helping you understand and process the emotions that are behind the scenes.  It's very healthy and helpful to bring these emotions to light and into consciousness so that you can understand them and process them.  
So keep posting!  Keep sharing.  Keep feeling and experiencing.  It's all healing at this stage for you. 

What we want to do is figure out how to experience the healthy feelings and emotions that come with the process, but avoid the unhealthy.   A problem many people have is that they don't process their emotions and go through the stages.  They try to avoid things and hide them and skip over stages..  Which can leave them unhealthy for years and years.   Weather she knows it or not, JK is doing something brilliant.  She is recognizing something that could become unhealthy and trying to learn how to face it and process it now.  I'm in the same boat..  I need to face it head on and try to get through it now so that it doesn't haunt me for years and leave me paralyzed. 

January 23, 2017 12:38 pm  #8

I understand what you mean.  I'm several years post-disclosure and happily in love again, and I still struggle with this.  It honestly doesn't cross my mind much anymore, except when old pictures present themselves or the kids want to know about older stories that include their dad.  I manage those feelings in the moment.  I manage pictures and memories differently.

Moments in time are easier - because I'm usually discussing them for a reason - for someone else's benefit (usually my kids').  So I tell the story from the viewpoint of what they'd like to hear - the memories as they pertain to them.  I keep the gay thing out of it entirely - even if when recanting the story, it makes me think of how that all may have (or many not have) been "fake".  I try to see a happy memory as a permanent happy memory - if we were all playing on the beach in the sand and we were all having a blast, then it's a good thing.  I try to keep it that way.  I don't ruminate on these stories except for where they pertain to my kids.

Some memories are bad memories - all those times in bed that I could feel his performance was perfunctory.  All the times I begged him to see me - want me.  And sometimes something in these days/times will trigger those emotions and make me react much more strongly now to something than I would have without those past experiences.  I try to not make my current husband suffer for what my past husband did to me.  There are scars there, and he understands that.  And it's okay with him for me to tell him that I'm feeling some of that past pain bubbling up, and talk about it.  Usually this reveals a solid explanation for what's going on now (now, he's not rejecting me because he doesn't desire me  - he's just got horrible diarrhea that he wasn't planning on mentioning!).  And then that old pain is just gone.  And he holds me a bit closer and give me the reassurance that I needed before I understood the situation.  But I don't EVER just throw a little pity party or fit without telling him what's bubbling up inside of me.  This sort of thing happens maybe once, twice a year, max.

Photos are different.  They are very concrete and you cant' just look at the part that brings you happiness - it's all one image.  Sometimes I see pics that are a simple family portrait, and look at my ex's face and think, "Did he know then?  Why is he smiling if this was all fake?".  But I can put that pic down.  I don't throw them out because those are timestamps in my kids' lives.  It's THEIR truth, their childhood.  If I look at a pic with them, I do the same as I do with a story - say, "remember this Halloween?  You see that mask on your brother?  You cried every.single.time he put the mas on for DAYS before you got used it it.  And you wore that costume every day for 6 months after that!"  I don't even mention their dad unless I can factor him into the story in some positive, benign way: "You rode on your dad's shoulders that Halloween and wouldn't even get down for candy - you wanted it delivered to your in-hand pumpkin!"  I tell them the truth, but I'm re-writing some of the things that I remember about that day (or now see when I look at us in the pic).

It's not easy.  But it gets much easier as you create a meaningful existence today, and start making new memories.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 24, 2017 7:31 am  #9

".. I am just asking that this thread be one that focuses on what to do with memories.."

I made contact with a friend I had not spoken to in 18? years.   (You could say I'm calling in my IOUs or really just calling friends my ex estranged me from.  I am not a proud person..perfectly willing  at this stage  to say sorry for not calling you in 20 years.)
I knew my friend from when I first got married  (yes I asked if he noticed anything about my ex..no ..just that she was opinionated).  So we got talking and he remembers my first kid  and really remembers stories of us .. his perspective was that it was all happy..   asking him  (without divulging TGT) he said I was happy..it was all real.    Yes,  I said... I was happy.    

I will not let my exs lie or new gay life re-write what was really good times in my life.   That it counts for nothing to her and she wants to re-write it..gaslight it out of existence.  no  its just more sadness and craziness from her..   Her throwing away the pictures of me and her smiling and happy and saying "that never happened"  does not make it true.   

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 24, 2017 9:25 pm  #10

That was me..
Emergency... TGT is an emergency..  When in shock from discovery even more so.  And for those that think it isn't..    it came up when I was screamed and raged at for splitting an account (half is fair)  during the divorce  from my cheating gay ex.   She swore and screamed at me at some point stating that the account was for "emergencies".   Huh?  You're cheating with a woman on me and filed for divorce., you lied and desecrated our marriage ..I declare an emergency.  I equate it to being hit by a bus, a fire or flood.   TGT is actually worst because the trust we had in our spouse can never be replaced.      

I re-iterate for everyone to seek help and support when in shock from discovering TGT.  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera