OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2017 8:48 pm  #1

now what?

My husband of 37 years (soon retiring) has stated he is trans and is now in counseling (needed for the operations).   He wants to stay married and be openly trans.  But I am sure that will not work in the end.  I handle the pain by worrying about the money.  The question now is how do I protect  myself from him spending all our money that was meant for our retirement?  Maybe I need a good Ohio lawyer. Do you know one?  Do I have to divorce to do this?  Am I ready to divorce?  I know he will pick his trans over me.  When he gets going he can spend incredible amounts of money. So I have to get ahead of him. 75% of the money is in his name. The house is joint.  I handle the bills because he is so terrible with money.  He is willing to come out of the closet but I don't want the children to know (grown and married) and it forces them to take sides.(probably unavoidable).  I am 68 and it is too late for me to start over.

January 21, 2017 10:18 pm  #2

Re: now what?

Hi snowquail. 

I'm so sorry you are here.  This is a club that none of want to be in because it means we've been dealt a very difficult and painful situation in our lives.  This is a place where you will find people who have lived through what you are dealing with.  We are here for you and will help as much as we can.   Please feel free to post as much as you want.  Share your feelings and thoughts and fears and questions.  We are not professionals, so we do not offer professional opinions, but we will share our experiences and our best advice so help as much as we can. 

Your questions:
How do you protect your retirement funds:  My best advice is of course to find a lawyer.  You can typically get a low cost or free initial consultation and you can go to a few different lawyers.  Write down a ton of questions and see a few lawyers.  This will jump-start your education and help you find one you feel comfortable with if you chose to pursue divorce.  Just meeting with one doesn't mean you have to do anything..  but it doesn't hurt to start thinking, learning, and planning.   Based on my experience, I believe you have to file for divorce and you would need to also file an order for financial status quo.  This would require both parties to continue handling finances as normal with all bills getting paid and not allow either party to make any major purchases or stash and hide money, etc.. 

I don't know if we have any other members near you.  We are usually pretty anonymous with our locations to make sure we stay fully private.  If someone is in your area and can recommend they could send you a private message.  

Most states consider the money and all assets to be joint marital property (unless it was acquired before the marriage or was an inheritance and kept separate from joint accounts).  So this should mean that 50% of the money is his.. not 75%.  You should have a claim on 50% his retirement accounts (401k, pension, etc..).  But again, you would need to ask an attorney to get the best advice on this topic.  Try not to stress about money until you have more answers.  It will just chew you up and add stress to an already immensly difficult situation.  

Are you ready to divorce?  Great question that of course, only you can answer.  Some members have tried mixed orientation marriages and found success.  Some found that it only prolonged the inevitable.   Many of us gave thought to the idea for a short time and realized we already knew that for us it would never work.  You do need to process this question though.  It sounds like you already know the answer, but this is not a question to take lightly, so please give it a lot of thought and even consider a few sessions with a therapist or councilor to talk through it. 

You are NOT too old to start over.  You will have a happy life when you get past this.  Quite a few of us are retired or close to it and were divorced after 30-40 years.  You will be surprised how much you enjoy your retirement when you have the chance to live it on your terms.  

Hugs snowquail.  Please put yourself first and be kind to yourself.  Take things a day at a time.  Don't stress about things you cannot control at this point in time.  When you feel overwhelmed, take a step back and gather yourself.  This is a roller coaster and you will have many ups and downs along the way.  Be prepared for them and you will handle things well and get through it all.   Just one day at a time..  

Last edited by lostdad (January 21, 2017 10:20 pm)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 21, 2017 11:34 pm  #3

snowquail, first, glad you found this place and were brave enough to reach out.  I do believe Ohio is a joint equity state meaning you must be given an equitable amount in the divorce.  Since you do handle the bills, that's a good thing.  You'll have an idea of where everything is.  Keep records starting now.  If he does overspend somewhere, he'll have to pay it back.  If you've been married 37 years, you are likely entitled to half of everything, regardless of whether it is in your name or not. 

I agree with lostdad.  It's not too late.  Don't lose hope. Keep posting. 

Here's a resource you may find helpful: http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/ohio/ohio-divorce-laws-709.shtml

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 7:30 am  #4

I say file now before he blows all the money on his transition. .. maybe when he sees the legal bills hell think twice about paying for an operation?

Not sure he can see the selfishness and blatant disregard of you...and if he does not care then you have no choice but to leave.

A prayer for you..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 22, 2017 11:34 am  #5

Hi Snowquail,

worrying about the money is a good way to handle the pain.  And you seem pretty clear to me - you know he's not going to worry about you.  My advice is to do something towards it every day and get as much rest as you can.

I think when you live with someone keeping a secret it sort of rubs off.  Like I'd been trained to keep his secret too.  I found it very difficult initially to speak of it but discovered that when I did it was empowering.

all the best, it is good this is happening now rather than in another ten years.  xox

December 24, 2017 6:56 am  #6

Well, the divorce happened in June, although we are still waiting for his pension to start.  We are seeing each other twice a week. We take turns paying and it is dinner and sometimes a game of scrabble or a movie.  I have insisted he dresses in male clothes when I see him, and he does.   I suppose we are "pretending" but I truly do need him and still care for him. Both my kids say I should move on.  But I don't know how (we did everything together)  I could just break it off, but the ground would probably open up and swallow me up. But how long can I stand out in the acid rain?  Find a fella while still seeing my husband and wean off?  Is that even possible?   Or desirable?  Decide that I will just stay single?  How do I pull away? What do I do with the huge gap?  Do I remind myself he was all to willing to cause all this pain?    I know there are several stages of accepting.  But I haven't even gotten angry yet.  Should I try to get angry?  Or am I stuck on "I don't want to walk off this cliff".  I have accepted that he isn't going to change back.  So maybe it is more healthy to break it off.  But at this point in life (today is my birthday I turned 69), how can I start over?  I feel unable to move from our current arrangement.  But my son-in-law says that will leave him in the driver's seat and he may break if off at a really bad time. It is almost a year since I was blindsided by his decision. And it is almost 6 months after the divorce.  I feel somewhat stuck although I do look forward to our couple hours twice a week. I don't like to be alone for more than a full day.  I also see my daughter once a week, I see a friend once a week.  But this arrangement with my ex-husband just feels temporary. I don't even feel divorced.  Does anyone out there have some coping skills that I could borrow?

December 24, 2017 8:05 am  #7

Snowsqual

So sorry you're hurting. In my case my GX stopped speaking to me almost as soon as she started cheating.  I learned how to be alone very early.

What do you talk about when you meet him?  It sounds like this meeting in itself is hurting you.

Alone is better than being hurt over and over.  Alone is ok.   

Maybe start by meeting him one less time.  In that time go to a coffee shop or the library and enjoy your own company.. Replace it with something you like.  Be kind to yourself..it has not been that long..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 24, 2017 8:11 am  #8

Hi Snowquail,
I’m so sorry for your pain. There isn’t a manual to prepare us for dealing with the bomb that was dropped into our marriages and families, and imploded our lives. My issue was gay, so that’s my disclaimer, but when I called quits, I had been married over 30 years. I spent a few months in the beginning on a hamster wheel of trying to understand and be supportive, and my anxiety and stress level was off the charts. I never, ever wanted him back, but I just wanted it to make sense. Guess what I found out? It didn’t, and it never, ever would. I went no contact with every single form of communication, ( our kids are older like yours, thank God) That’s the day I started to become empowered and heal . It’s going to hurt for a while for you, but you aren’t going to fall off of a cliff. Write down what you are afraid of, and come up with a list of ideas to fill in the time doing things you enjoy. If you enjoy movies, go by yourself, I go to movies by myself all the time. Instead of worrying about filling in the gap, look at it as an opportunity to do whatever you want, the decision is ALL yours. But I strongly advise no- contact. Good luck!

December 24, 2017 10:55 am  #9

Snowsqual,
   First: Happy Birthday!  May you have many years of health and happiness in your future.  I hope you will treat yourself today to something that gives you pleasure: a walk in the snow or the bracing air, a glimpse at a bright or graceful bird out the window, the crispness of an apple in your mouth or the lusciousness of chocolate on your tongue, the sound of your favorite piece of music or your daughter's voice.  And I hope they will remind you of how alive you are.
   Second: I understand your feelings of being stuck and of fear and of not seeing a clear way forward, although from my position, not quite three years after disclosure and still married to and living with my closeted autogynephilic transgendered spouse, you seem to me to be full of the courage I have yet to test.  I, too, have been married over 35 years, and I, too, am old enough (64) that I have often been visited with the thought that I am too old to remake my life.  Like you, too, I know that once we separate, I will continue to see my husband (we work in the same place).  
   You ask the question, "How can I start over?"  But you, unlike me, have already done this.  You have divorced.  You are living independently, and have escaped the tension you lived with when still living with a man whose desire to be a woman undermined you at every level and left you feeling worthless and faulty, feelings which surely inform your feeling that it's too late or that you have no future to look forward to. You may feel "somewhat stuck," but I think you're coming unstuck--by making the move to come here you're expressing your understanding that you know you need to (and wish to move on) to forge a life wholly independent of your ex.  You refer to seeing him as standing out in "acid rain" (even though you also feel as if cutting things off will cause the ground to "open up").   
  I don't know you, so I don't know what kind of person you are, so I don't feel as if giving advice is the right move for me to make.  How about observations and questions?  One year may feel like forever to you, but in fact the time from his disclosure to your divorce was only six months, so you did not have a long time to process the whys and wherefores of the break up of your long marriage, and you have had only six months since the divorce to begin to process it, while living on your own.  It's a huge task, to face thinking about an unimagined future while simultaneously processing the loss of your past and the future you thought you were going to have.  When someone pulls the rug out under your past, your present, and your sense of self as a woman, it's going to take a while to recover!  He already pushed you off the cliff, Snowsqual!  Now your task is to heal from the betrayal of the push, the terror of the fall, and the pain and brokenness of the landing.
   I would say that you need to go easy on yourself and to trust yourself as you process and recover/heal: perhaps you needed to wean yourself, and seeing your ex twice a week is how you have done that.  Now, you are wondering whether this is healthy for you--so maybe you are ready to take the next step.  If you don't feel ready to go no contact, as Dee suggests, can you cut your meetings down to once a week?  Or do you think that perhaps your feeling that seeing him is like "acid rain" is a response to feeling that these meetings allow him to have his cake and eat it, too?  Is it that you think HE'S getting something out of these meetings, if only a sense that what he did wasn't so bad or so selfish, because, after all, you continue to see him, and he can feel less guilty and maybe even beneficent (or condescending) in seeing you?  Could you be about to access your anger?  Are you seeing a therapist with whom you can discuss these things?  I'm the kind of person who when I think I'm not seeing clearly wants to push myself, so to get myself unstuck I might ask him to come to one of your meetings dressed in his woman clothes (if he dresses publicly) so I couldn't deceive myself about the state of things.  My husband is currently not dressing in front of me, and I know that if he were, I'd be more motivated to get out sooner--but I know he still feels what he feels, and dresses when I'm not around, and sometimes I pull out the pictures I have of him dressed in women's lingerie just to keep myself on track to leaving.
  Aside from this psychological work, how about taking an inventory of what actions you've taken or could take to assert your own interests and meet new people in activities you will enjoy and in which you will feel valued and valuable?  
   And if you haven't visited Chump Lady, there is lots of inspiration there for how to make a wonderful life on one's own, even for those our age!  Her holiday post, on Friday, asked for people to give an update on how their lives have improved, and should give your hope you have lots of happiness and satisfaction ahead of you.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (December 24, 2017 11:05 am)

December 24, 2017 11:49 pm  #10

I appreciate all the comments and would like to report a new idea (that was probably obvious to you but not to me). I went through the entire divorce and aftermath without ONCE considering ending the relationship. This is a REAL BLIND SPOT.  I am glad I found it, but now I have to work on what to do with it.  Who divorces a person without ending the relationship?  Me. 

The concept of finding a therapist is a closed door because I tried that and found that the therapist was on his side.  She told me that "I didn't have a good enough reason to divorce" and basically treated me like the bad guy.  I suppose she does therapy for trans people and this was her first with the enemy. I cried on and off for two days and was in a funk for over a week. Needless to say, I cancelled all the future appointments.  This is not to say, anyone else cannot find that kind of help.  I caused some of that because I asked for "someone that knows something about this", and only signed up for the 4 visits the company allowed. 

Also, I am not strong.  I just know where I am weak. I made the immediate decision because I knew he liked to cross-dress and we had tried early in our marriage to incorporate it unsuccessfully. He makes a very UGLY woman connected with a personality change that I don't like.  Every 4 years it surfaced but went underground again.  We had two kids so I decided it was his "kinky" and stayed married.  Never did I think he would go trans!  He has so many masculine traits and features. Still does. (another blind spot?)  But he spends money like water so I knew something as expensive as the sex-change and  "facial surgery" was going deplete all our retirement money (another blind spot because all I was able to save was the house). 

Could I borrow a cup of coping skills here?  Where do I go now?

Board footera