OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 12:47 pm  #1

How is this my life....

We met in college. And our love came easy. He is my best friend and we have been together for 13 years and married for 8 years. We have a 4 1/2 year old girl. These last two years have been very hard on me as we tried for a second child. The miscarriages, the questions and unaware people who don't realize that my heart would be torn up when that kid me about not having a bigger family. My husband said he wanted another child. Said it tore him up when we had our losses... But I could tell it was my struggle. He didn't hurt like I did. I was alone in it and couldn't quiet the feeling that my family was incomplete. My daughter is my light and after this most recent miscarriage.. I decided I needed to move on and live better. Be happier and enjoy my family for what it is.  This realization gave me a new outlook on life and I felt better.

Little did I know that two weeks later my husband would drop the floor out of what I felt was stable. See although I struggled in infertility, I still had great satisfaction with my husband. Sexually emotionally, as the father of my child. I was so sure in him. I pittied my friends who complained of their other half. I knew I had a solid fulfilling marriage with a hardworking loyal honest respectful man.

After an office Christmas party we came home and my husband asked to have a proper talk. This was not usual. Our communication has always been strong and constructive.

He tells me.. He likes to feel prettt. He shows me his painted nails. He says hes not gay. He says hes not sure what transgender REALLY is. He says this is just a sex thing but that he is happy being a man. That he was interested in cross dressing and had never really done it except a few times he put on my panties and bras and dressed.

I was devastated. He comforted me telling me he would never want to loose me that he loves me that other than our daughter I am the best part of his life.

Those first few days I just kept repeating its just kinky.. Its just sexual. This isnt going to change my life... Let him have fun.. I even went as far as buying him a few things. Not that I was comfortable but I was discussed when he said he uses my bras and panties... I gave him the gifts and told him I was not going to participate but that if he wanted to "have fun" while he was alone, I would be ok with it. Just dont put your dick in my panties.

Things were ok... I enjoyed the holidays and felt the magic of Christmas through my daughter's eyes... Last weekend I went away for the weekend for a baby shower. It is really hard for me to watch a dear friend be pregnant. It takes all I have to hide my sorrow of not having a sibling for my girl.

My husband had his mom take our child for the weekend and on Friday when I was about half an hour to my friends house... I got an Amazon email that the orders were delivered. A brunettewig two high heels a corset.. My stomach turned and I just spent the whole werkend slowly falling apart. I guess he doesn't realize I get those emails.

I came home yesterday. How was ur wrekend.. Good u...How was the wig? When I asked a terrible smile spread across his face. He didn't even ask how I knew. He just told me all these logistical things. Hardships of applying make up. It took him 5 hours to get dressed and then he went to the gas station kust to prance around. WTF??

The things he was saying made me realize very quickly. This is not sexua not primarilyl. This is who he feels he is.  Ive noticed he is even more feminine in bed that last few times and when I asked him about this stuff... His response makes me shake. It has only been a month since he told me and I already see him changing. Hes wearing my jeggings.. My braletts my tank tops around the house. Ge has a sweat shirt on top and the leggings are just black and he says it should have no.impact on our daughter. But hes pushing the line so damn fast.. Where are we going to be in another 30 days?

I'm feeling like this is the end of my life. That I have to make a new one now. My husband is slipping away.. And while I a mourning he is feeling invigorated. He expects me to change to match him. He says Im changing u can change too! Itll be great."

It's not great. It's not me. I married a MAN. And do I stay with him. What is this going to do to my daughter. Do I leave soon and maybe that way we can still be friends. If I stay and he sucks the life out of me... Is my hope to have another child as hopeless as I feel inside my heart.

Last night night I really opened up about my fears of how fast this was happening and asked him if he thought this would change his needs in the bed room. He said yes and that he could see it changing everything.  Today he is kind and sats hes depressed because he can see this hurting me and that he feels awful. How could this ever work. How am I supposed to go on. How am I supposed to raise a happy and confident girl! Oh I wished he had just stayed in his closest till she was older...

How is this my life....

January 16, 2017 2:40 pm  #2

Re: How is this my life....

Katie, 

Welcome to the club that NOBODY wants to be part of.  We are here for you.  You will find many women on this forum who have dealt with various stages of cross-dressing and transgender husbands.  They will be able to offer some excellent advice and help you come to grips with what is happening and what you can do for yourself during this time. 

One thing that I will offer to you is that you might come to learn that this happening at a young age for your daughter is a better thing than later when she is older.  It seems that the younger they are the easier they adapt and things quickly become the new normal.

I'm sorry this is your lift, but remember exactly that.  It's YOUR life.  So many women spend so many years wasting away in bad relationships with gay and trans men.  This is not what you signed up for and you are not required to stay in this situation.  

Start doing some research and learn the laws in your area.  Consider visiting an attorney or two for free or low cost consultations to start learning.  Quietly take some inventory of your financial situation and your access to funds.  I'm not saying you should start divorcing him.  I just want you to educate and be prepared in case you find out that is necessary.  In the meantime, start thinking about how you can communicate with him and start setting some boundaries for what is acceptable in your home and your marriage and in front of your daughter. 

All the best to you.  Again, so sorry you are in this situation, but you have found the right place.  We are here to help. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 16, 2017 4:05 pm  #3

I am so sorry that you had to find yourself here. It's a board/club that none of wanted to be in but have unfortunately found ourselves to be members.

Take a moment for yourself and think of what you really want. Your husband has had a lot longer to process himself and is probably ready to live his new life while you are only about 4 weeks post disclosure and it sounds like you were completely blindsided by his disclosure and that you had no suspicions. Take the time to figure out what what you want and how you see your future. Has he told you exactly how he wants to live his life moving forward?

I have 2 young kids as well (19 months and 4.5) and I am just so thankful that they they are young. I think it would have been harder if they were older. I still worry everyday how this will
Impact them but I hope they will grow up and just accept the way things are.

January 16, 2017 5:08 pm  #4

Katie,
 I'm so sorry for your losses, the miscarriages, and now the loss of your husband, and believe me when I tell you I know what this is like.  Mine, too, disclosed out of nowhere; mine, too, told me he'd been wearing my underwear.   I, too, felt the floor drop out from beneath my life and my entire past with my husband come into question.  And then the questions: where will this end?  what will I be asked to live with?   can I live with it?  And the reactions: I'm appalled. I'm disgusted.  I'm amazed that you can think only of yourself (telling you about the logistics of applying makeup and getting dressed) and ask me to think only of you, too.
 The shock and disbelief and rage and sorrow you're feeling are normal.  I second Rene's advice that what you need to do is to think for yourself what YOU want, and to act on it.  If you do not want to be married to man who steals your clothes and wears them, if you don't want your daughter to see her father in women's clothes, if you don't want to adjust your life--your sex life and your home life--so your husband can play out his fantasy of being a woman, that is OK.  It's more than OK.  It's your right and it's what you're entitled to.  

I don't want to be pessimistic, but everything I've experienced and everything I've read here on crossdressing men who want to be women is that they will brook no interference and they focus on that desire to the exclusion of everything else.  When your husband says he's depressed because he sees he's hurting you?  Guaranteed that at least some of what depresses him is that you aren't wholeheartedly embracing it.  He will want nothing to change--except you!  He will want to stay in the marriage and have you validate his new found idea of himself as a woman.  He will also want to change everything about the way he acts with you, and have you change yourself to accommodate it, and he won't even get how selfish that is.  And that's because he's in thrall to the "pink fog," the high that he gets from indulging his fantasy.  

I have found that getting some distance allows me to get some perspective.  Also, don't stay in the closet.  Tell someone.  Your closest friends, your family.  When we're in this situation it's suffocating, but it also begins to feel normal, in that it's your daily reality.  You need someone else to help validate your own feelings and to test your reactions on.  It was enormously useful to me when I visited my mother and sister and realized that if I were to tell them what was going on in my life they'd say "Get out.  Now."   
  Please read up on autogynephilia. Look up "The Man Who Would Be Queen" by the psychologist Michael Bailey, and research the work of Anne Lawrence, a transwoman who self identifies as autogynephlic.  
   Get a therapist for you, and run like hell from any therapist who thinks your job is to accommodate yourself to your husband's "new reality."  

January 16, 2017 6:35 pm  #5

The more we talk the more I realize this is truly new to him. He started to feel these urges and before really acting on them he told me. Said he only dressed once before telling me. I doubt it was once, but as this unfolds im starting to see the truth in it..

He said he wanted to save our marriage from the lies and secrets by bringing me in early, but even admitted today that it was a mistake. That he should have waited till he knew what he actually felt. To determine what he needed.

Now we're in this place that he doesn't know what is what. He doesnt know how he feels other than this pink fing fog that seems to take over.  Today I was honest. Probably too honest. Saying that I feel like I got hit by the cross gender bus and it shattered my life and now I find myself still in the road waiting for another bus.. Will it be trans bus will it be gay/bi bus I dont know... But since he didnt explore his secret, im now faced with this ambiguous situation. But I do know... I'll always be waiting for another bus.

While there werent years of a secret, limited lying, I see how my questions are things he has yet to even think about for himself. He has no research no communication with other like minded people. And while today at first like all material problems we talked honest to figure this out I realize this is unhealthy. I do need distance. I do need boundaries. And hes dealing with some newly surfaced emotions and is drowning trying to figure himself out.I can not help him...

He agreed to seek out a therapist and I will do the same. We talked that hes not allowed to wear my clothes and when he comes to bed he cant wear panties. Our daughter is not to see anything and our conversation need to remember she understands more than we can anticipate.  We agreed to be open when the other one needs to set boundaries or request something but that for now I need limited exposure and we should deal a bit more separately. If not completely separately.

I have been reading all the other similar posts and while im not going to defend him that he isnt selfish. I see him struggling to make sense of it all.  He treats my comments with reapect and absorbed them.  He is treating this as im an equal in this. And while I am broken that he couldn't just be happy and content with our little life, I hate to know he is still struggling. If he had it all figured out itd be easier to hate him.

These last few weeks I have thought of how this changes my life and that I cant begin to know how to deal with it cause he doesn't even know what he is asking for. Today I realized how messed up it is cause he had no idea. Either that or hes not ready to admit it to himself.

I dont know what I would be able to find happiness despite of. But one thing I cant shake is that this isnt just clothing and one day he's gonna say hes a women.

Looking back im pulling everything apart. Was our relationship so great because I fell in love with a women who thought he was a man and never questioned it UNTIL NOW. How could someone be so disconnected to themselves.

im sorry this is all over the place I just cant believe I feel the sadness I feel...  thank you for the support its the only thing keeping me together. I feel so weak and ashamed that this is my life. I thought we were happy...

January 16, 2017 10:05 pm  #6

Katie...you should not feel ashamed  or weak...you did not ask for this. I also was blindsided by my husband, we had just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary  and 14 years together when he told me he was attracted to men. We had been fighting a lot over the last couple of months (and now I understand why) but I never saw the gay bus coming.  I felt completely shattered and am taking things day by day figuring out what I want out of life now.

I am only 8 weeks post disclosure but I found out little by little in the first 3 weeks. So keep asking questions if you have to so you can process this. And def speak to a therapist. As Outofhiscloset said it's OK for you to determine that this is not how you want to live your life and now that it's out, your husband might not want to "suppress" it anymore.

January 16, 2017 11:14 pm  #7

Katie,
 Ask yourself this: in what sense could your husband have "really" been a woman?  There's no credible scientific evidence of a "lady brain." He has the biology and socialization of a male.  He's lived as a male.  
How does a male/man "know" what a woman feels?  thinks?  What he knows, right now, is that he wishes he were a woman, and that he has the urge to feminize himself.  But femininity does not make a woman, either--femininity is a set of behaviors and clothing and gestures that can all be "put on" on "taken off."  

Don't be ashamed.  You did nothing wrong.  You reacted to what you saw and what you were told and to the cues he gave you.  The sadness, yes.  I so understand it.  I would give anything not to be in the position of having to divorce my husband.  But if he's more committed to pursuing his goal of "feeling like a woman," wearing women's clothes and feeling sexually excited by it and taking selfies of himself in his lingerie and spending inordinate amounts of time on doing his nails, and feeling sorry for himself tha the can't go public because he doesn't "pass," then there's nothing I can do.  I can't make him turn his attention to the woman he's married to instead of the one he imagines he'd like to be.  Maybe your husband will see a therapist whose orientation on gender dysphoria is not to treat it by rushing him to "transition."  That's the best you can hope for--but he has to want that, to treat it not by assuming that because he has it he's "really a woman" and transitioning will solve his problem.  Research says it doesn't.

Board footera